Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Cramer
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just had an entertaining first play this afternoon. Great game!

I have a few quick questions about using the "cutting down a tree and moving one less space per mountain" rule.

Is the central island with the Base Camp considered a mountain?

Does this work only on the four named corner mountains?

Would it be possible to completely hose a player without axes or the chainsaw by surrounding the base camp completely with trees and then proceed to surround all of the resupply huts with trees to prevent them from getting additional axes?

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Goldstein
United States
Culver City
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The central mountain is still a mountain in my book.
So, you would be able to use the One for One Clearing rule (pg 10 in the rulebook, if you want to check it out)

As for your hose scenario...I don't see it as very likely, but you theoretically could do it...Your opponent would have to be pretty slow to let this happen. I think you would lose to any other player that was actually trying to win rather than playing a blocking game.

Ultimately though, this well-designed game is very tight You only need to block your opponent well once or maybe twice more than they slow you down in order to win. One bad mistake, or one well placed tree often means the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
OCD with the Letters in the Right Order!
badge
Squirrel Chaser
mbmbmbmbmb
If you totally enclose something you opponent gets to immediately remove and replant several trees, so you would be wasting your effort. Leaving only a small opening though might work, but your opponent would have to be rather slow noticing as the comment above noted.

Brad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andrews777 wrote:
If you totally enclose something you opponent gets to immediately remove and replant several trees, so you would be wasting your effort. Leaving only a small opening though might work, but your opponent would have to be rather slow noticing as the comment above noted.

Brad

The "complete enclosure" rule only applies to enclosing another player. You can completely surround a board element with no penalty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Bing
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
Firstly, I think that the 1-4-1 rule should be treated more as a variant - for players wanting an extra "get-out-trouble" device - especially in 3 or 4-player games when 'ganging up' on a player is more common.

I think it's also a useful rule in helping speed up 2 player games. Matthew's latest session report was great reading for a 2 player game and he makes mention of how the absence of the 1-4-1 rule had perhaps changed the outcome of the game (I can almost guarantee that the outcome would have been different!)

Read his 2 player session report here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/375100

the 1-4-1 Rule is especially useful for reversing the odd or even move value and allowing access to a particular point. This is it's greatest feature.

It is important however to quote the rule to realize there are certian conditions to be met when applying it: "...This is a Tree Clearing rule which allows you to remove 1 tree FROM YOUR CHOSEN TRAIL by subtracting 1 point from your Move or Dice Value".

Emphasized is the fact that the tree can't just be removed from anywhere. There MUST be a tree on your chosen trail to warrant the decrease of a 1 point Move value.

There are 5 mountains where the rule is able to be used. An 'official' mountain being a group of foam core layers, but if players choose to to treat the Base Camp main island as another mountain zone I don't see a problem with this - so long as the manner in which the rule is applied is kept unchanged (re: rule quote above).

What I like about the 1-4-1 rule is that most players forget to use it (including me) as they are more concentrated on their limited supply of resources. When players DO remember it is always too late and the advantage has already passed.

In my opinion, so long as the gamers around the table play by the SAME rules, the objective is the same - move, survive, hinder, return.

(Note: as I have stated before, The idea behind Timber Tom from the start was "souplesse" - the idea of being able to select 1, 2, 3, or 4 mountains is the first example of this - players being able to adjust the game's length by choosing more or less peaks to climb. Another example is the order by which you decide to carry out actions before, during or after you move.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Squirrel Chaser
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you clarify what the "1-4-1 rule" is? I probably know, but it is not connecting in my head.

Brad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Bing
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
Brad, on page 10 of the "version 2b" PDF Game Guide is:

The “ONE-for-ONE” Clearing Rule

At any time during the game,
but only ONCE on EACH mountain,
you can use the “One-for-One” Clearing Rule.
This is a Tree Clearing rule which allows you to
remove 1 tree FROM YOUR CHOSEN TRAIL
by subtracting 1 point from your Move or Dice Value.

This is a handy get-out-of-trouble device when
you find yourself with little or no axes, or you
have become the target of many tree planting
operations by your ‘good’ friends!

It can also enable you to reverse the odd or
even number-value required for your next move.
You can still use this rule and combine it with other
resources to optimize the final outcome of your
move.

-----

(This was information that was NOT contained in the printed Game Guide you received with the game. Remember the new documentation will be posted out to you free of charge after it has been printed for the Second production run)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Squirrel Chaser
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification. The use of numbers for the words threw me off a bit as well.

Brad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Cramer
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mvettemagred wrote:
andrews777 wrote:

Brad

The "complete enclosure" rule only applies to enclosing another player. You can completely surround a board element with no penalty.

I'm going to establish the house rule that the island with the base camp is considered one of the areas you can use once with the "ONE-for-ONE Clearing Rule."

Also, the base camp and refuge huts will not be allowed to be completely surrounded. There must be at least one access location. Otherwise, my "friends" are more than happy to make my life a hiking hell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.