Popular Tags: [View All]
Wei-Hwa Huang
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished a (3-player) game of Dominion where I won with 79 VP: six Provinces, four Gardens (at 5VP each since I had 53 cards in my deck), five Duchies, and eight Estates. The game ended on Duchies, Gardens, and Estates, with one Province left unclaimed.

What happened is that one player got to a lucky early draw and purchased two Provinces very quickly. So everyone, in response, started grabbing whatever Victory points they could. But since there were Thieves in the game, the player who had two Provinces lost most of their money, and the result was that everybody had a deck that was very diluted with Victory Point cards -- we ran out of Duchies at about the time that we were so diluted that we couldn't afford them any more. ;-)

What are some high totals that you've seen?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I recall one of my early games with Gardens in which the winner had 90-something points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Albritton
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Around 75 VP here, including several curses. I had 11 gardens and a 50+ size deck.

Two players were playing Chapel, Throne Room, Witch. I was playing Cellar, Throne Room, Workshop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1603-1714
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Now I can add text to my avatar? Sweet! How do I do it?
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen 875 once, but this guy was killing us with the Fisherman/Trapeze combo turn after turn. My Fairy Princess card was utterly worthless. He even managed to get two of the x5 cards in the same turn, which I have never seen before. Everyone else was still stuck in the double digits, so the game wasn't even close.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
80+ for me one time. I don't expect that to happen again. I was Thieving away money from my opponent in a setup with not much for extra coins or actions. I'm sure it was a very frustrating 20 minutes for him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doron Blake
United States
Lakeville
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember one game with high 50's/low 60's, I think a 2-player game with one player on gardens and the other on something province-focused, and slow, probably turbo-X. After about 70 plays, my group averages winning scores in the 25-35 range, unless there are gardens (40's) or witches (anywhere from 15-40).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hubert Figuière
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cagriggs wrote:
I've seen 875 once, but this guy was killing us with the Fisherman/Trapeze combo turn after turn. My Fairy Princess card was utterly worthless. He even managed to get two of the x5 cards in the same turn, which I have never seen before. Everyone else was still stuck in the double digits, so the game wasn't even close.

are you sure we are talking about the same game? I haven't such cards in Dominion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
hfiguiere wrote:
cagriggs wrote:

are you sure we are talking about the same game? I haven't such cards in Dominion.

They are the secret bonus cards that are hidden under the black plastic insert.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Go Huskies!...oh, well
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
hfiguiere wrote:
cagriggs wrote:

Secrets, Russ! Always telling secrets!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Archibald Zimonyi
Sweden
Gothenburg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
slowcorner wrote:
russ wrote:
hfiguiere wrote:
cagriggs wrote:

Hmmm.. I thought that was from the adult version. Especially the reference to the Fisherman/Trapeze combo.

Oh well.

Archie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett Scheer
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zimonyi wrote:
slowcorner wrote:
russ wrote:
hfiguiere wrote:
cagriggs wrote:

Hmmm.. I thought that was from the adult version. Especially the reference to the Fisherman/Trapeze combo.

Oh well.

Archie

Those and the Aristocrat card...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Elgar wrote:

Each player shuffles his deck. Each player shuffles his hand into his deck, then draws 5 cards. Each player shuffles his deck into the discard pile of the player to his left, then shuffles his hand into his deck, then gains one card from each supply pile and shuffles them into his deck. Each player pile shuffles his deck, then riffle shuffles his deck, then spreads all of his cards out on the table and picks them up again in a different order. Each player sorts his deck by card type and counts up victory points.
Action
$3
The Aristocrats
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1603-1714
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Now I can add text to my avatar? Sweet! How do I do it?
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:
Elgar wrote:

Each player shuffles his deck. Each player shuffles his hand into his deck, then draws 5 cards. Each player shuffles his deck into the discard pile of the player to his left, then shuffles his hand into his deck, then gains one card from each supply pile and shuffles them into his deck. Each player pile shuffles his deck, then riffle shuffles his deck, then spreads all of his cards out on the table and picks them up again in a different order. Each player sorts his deck by card type and counts up victory points.
Action
$3
The Aristocrats

Wow - the first expansion card revealed!!! Sounds exciting - I see now why it's not recommended to play with just the expansion for new players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Hansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:
Elgar wrote:

Action
$3
The Aristocrats

lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam K
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those vere extremely high scores. I played Dominion the first time yesterday, and the winner had like 8 points. All the others were usually at 1 or 2, sometimes negative.

What are those provinces people are talking about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LupusX wrote:
Those vere extremely high scores. I played Dominion the first time yesterday, and the winner had like 8 points. All the others were usually at 1 or 2, sometimes negative.
I'm pretty new at the game too, but some combinations of cards can yield a lot higher scores than others. The one you played may have been a combination that didn't allow for a lot of added actions, which limits how much you can do in a turn. Games with a lot of attack cards and no defensive cards, for instance.

LupusX wrote:
What are those provinces people are talking about?
They're the six-victory point card that costs 8 coins. Basically the card you're trying to build up to buy a lot of in most games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam K
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you!
Actually, no one managed to get a 6 vp card, not even the one who had a money strategy. However, both times the curse pile ran out, and we were mostly focusing on getting more action cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Aaronson
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I won with 2 points before, opponents had -1 and -4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
jaaronson wrote:
I won with 2 points before, opponents had -1 and -4.

That is a marvel of ineptitude. 3 players combining for -3 points total... in a 3 player game only 20 curses are in play. The three players start with 3 estates in their decks. That means, combined, you only bought 8 points worth of VP cards the whole game.

Maybe if, one time, someone spent 5 VP on a Dutchy instead of a Witch... or some Estates? The game clearly ended on 3-stack-depletion, and none of those were VP stacks. Which stacks (aside from Curse) depleted?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:
Maybe if, one time, someone spent 5 VP on a Dutchy instead of a Witch... or some Estates?

The danger with that approach is that the other players might then not cooperate to end the game, if you've got a VP lead but more unproductive cards in your deck (both VP cards and the curses you got from their witches).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.