Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
28 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Race for the Galaxy» Forums » General

Subject: VIDEO: A Rules Tutorial for RFTG rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: rftg [+] Tutorial [+] useful [+] read_later [+] VidRev [+] rtfg [+] VideoRules [+] [View All]
Wei-Hwa Huang
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's nowhere near perfect, but I've been working on it for more than a week now and I'm getting very sick of video editing...

Presenting: a video tutorial for learning Race for the Galaxy.

Available at

http://www.weihwa.com/~whuang/videos/rftg/rftg.html
(This page also contains a link to a narrated sample 3-player game, which may be useful to watch after watching the tutorial.)

Also available in 3 parts on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s56KrbOmpTg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Xxb1cirwOQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcTZYDAbNio

Hope people find it useful.
  • [+] Dice rolls
zz huang
Singapore
Singapore
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Much appreciated!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
h trismet
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thank you for making this! As a first time player, I'd read the rule book but was still unsure how it all fit together, and I found your video tutorial really helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Dietrich
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you so much. thumbsup This game desperately needs a good video tutorial, and you have now provided it. (If only it was around a couple of months ago, when my wife and I first started tackling RftG)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo
Germany
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your efforts for making the videos.

I haven't watched the Tutorials for the basic game but watched you competing against the robot.
Very interesting, indeed. Haven't bought the expansion so far, because it was too expensive for a "blind buy" - but now I have some insights and can think about it ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clement Tey
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious, does anyone else shuffle their cards like that? I only really do that with my poker/bridge cards that cost $3 a deck..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently Wei-Hwa has a laaarge stock of RftG card sets at home... see how he unpacks a new Box for this video??? laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontus Andersson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
How I have waited on a video like this! Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei-Hwa Huang
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Joeyeti wrote:
Apparently Wei-Hwa has a laaarge stock of RftG card sets at home... see how he unpacks a new Box for this video??? laugh

That's actually a bit of fakery -- if it had been an actual new box, the two decks of cards would've been shrinkwrapped. You're just fooled because I spent twenty minutes before the video carefully putting the VP chips back into their frame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clement Tey
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So you really do treat your cards like this! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J S
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What does it matter how he treats his cards, they are his cards... Some may find the people who laminate their entire games weird, and some may find those who shuffle their cards like a regular deck of cards weird, either way, they are free to do as they choose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SQ
United States
Show Low
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Titan Dice in Kickstarter - September 19th!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice job! This was VERY helpful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Jansen
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Can I drive the bus?
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for doing this -- I've been trying learn the game on my own and I've been having a real mental block against it for some reason. I think I just need to plow through and try it. The video definitely helped a lot. If I can make one bit of constructive criticism, it would be that part three seems to go by a bit fast. I got totally lost in your explanations of the trade/consume/produce parts of the game. I replayed those parts a few time, but still didn't get it. Still, a very helpful piece of work and I'm very appreciative of all of the effort that must have gone into making it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John S.
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Outstanding work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Olivares
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is jaw-droppingly awesome. Well done, sir. Well done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Nielsen
Denmark
Nibe
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You really saved my day - thanks for that. Like others I got instant brain damage when I started reading the rules. I even tried to set up a solitaire game to get into the rules. I lost all hope, knowing how limited my attention span is after all. =)

Great job - your tutorial made me regain the hope, that one day I¨'ll will actually play RftG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giannis Tsekos

Kalamata and/or Athens
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks a lot m8 you really help me understand if i liked this game or not (i now hope my friends will like it as much as i do)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Walker
United Kingdom
Liss
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FANTASTIC ... what a great primer, this has really helped me consolidate my first read through of the rules.

Looking forward to my first game now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Jackson
Australia
Boronia
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Awesome, very clear and professional. If I had some geek moneyz I would tip you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Sompholphakdy
Australia
flag msg tools
I just got the game today and the tutorial was a life saver. I even shuffle the cards the same way!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Doherty
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Killer videos and great information!

WHat did you use to edit and put this together? Some very nice card images and animations going on there...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei-Hwa Huang
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pdoherty wrote:
WHat did you use to edit and put this together? Some very nice card images and animations going on there...

Everything was done with Adobe Premiere. It has a lot of useful animation and fading effects once you understand what everything means. Card art I just had a bunch of files lying around with an early version of the cards (which is why some of them have small errors on them).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tk fslocalking
China
Foshan
Guangdong
flag msg tools
well done !!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nando 78
msg tools
Thanks for this tutorials, now I understand the game better.
Also the 3 player game video was nice to see.
Thank you arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.