Will
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
Reseñas de Juegos Argentinos
badge
Need a cool Graphic Design for a game you are Creating ? Maybe a banner for a kickstarter ? Ask for a quote... questions are for FREE :D
mbmbmbmbmb
DESIGN NOTES

I love to make Solitary Rules. Mainly because I think every game should have them... yeap, every game. No matter the system, the designers should be able to prepare a competitive Solitary Version that doesn't go that far from the tree because we cannot always depend on others to play and we should be able to do so if we want to.

So I met this game and thought: "Cool... an expansion has solitary rules... more than that the entire expansion is the solitary rules... what a cool game". And this is a cool game, probably one of the best strategic systems I have seen. So I went to the page at BGG to check how this new system behave and to my surprise I saw what appeared to be some sort of programing diagram and I said: "What the hell ?!?... they truly made a bot to fight with (which is awesome)". But aren't we doing a little too much to also have to concentrate in the system itself... The solution cannot be that complicated. It never is. So as I was playing a game I decided to focus on what was important for the player. The answer was very simple: "to have fun and to manage the factions and other strategies the best possible". So playing a game wasn't truly looking at what other players were doing but more like focusing on our possibilities. The only times I checked my opponent was to see how many points she had and it wasn't all the time, more like 2 times in an entire game.

... and therefore came the solution: "The only thing we care about our opponent is how many points she is making".

The truth is I do not like to play just to see how many points I make in order to beat myself next time. I like to play the game against a competitor... a good competitor that adapts and makes my life impossible so I can learn better how to deal with the possibilities to come triumphant.

... so I made this rules. The purpose was to achieve the feeling of another player playing, earning points and drawing cards but without you complicating too much. When the game ends we will see who did better and learn from it.

WILLSYS 1.1 RULES

SETUP
-----

1.- Separate the 10VP tokens and let the rest on a pile.

2.- Choose randomly between the starting planet 1 and 2.

3.- Mix the rest into the game pile and deal yourself 6 cards. From them pick 4 and discard the rest.

OBJECTIVE
---------

Defeat WILLSYS.

GAMEPLAY
--------

1.- Choose an action.

2.- Roll 1D6. The number will be the action WILLSYS is playing. If a 6 is rolled... roll again.

3.- Play the actions (of course you will not receive the bonus of WILLSYS' actions as you wouldn't receive them if it were another player).

3b.- If WILLSYS action was 1 discard 3 cards from the main deck. If 2 discard 7 cards. If any other, discard 1. This will keep the realism of your possibilities.

4.- Roll 1D4. Take that many VP from the main pile and separate them to form WILLSYS victory points pile.

On the first round do not roll the D4 dice.

5.- At the beginning of round 10. Roll 1D6 and add those VP to WILLSYS victory pile. Do the same on round 15 and 20. If more rounds are required keep doing this after each 5 rounds. Surely it won't go that far but just in case.

6.- At the end of the game roll 1D6 and add those VP to WILLSYS victory pile.

GAME END
--------

The game ends when the VP Pile is empty or at the end of the round in which you have played your 12th card on your game area.

Compare your VPs with WILLSYS and see if you defeat it.

DIFFICULTY VARIANTS
-------------------

To make WILLSYS a harder opponent instead of rolling 1D4 use 1D6.

To increase the difficulty of the mechanics based on your strategy everytime you place a 6 card roll 1D6 and add those VP to WILLSYS VP pile.

To make the game shorter after removing the 10 VP tokens, remove 24 victory points as you would do on a 2 player game (Be sure this will make the game harder too).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
willdesigns wrote:
So as I was playing a game I decided to focus on what was important for the player. The answer was very simple: "to have fun and to manage the factions and other strategies the best possible". So playing a game wasn't truly looking at what other players were doing but more like focusing on our possibilities. The only times I checked my opponent was to see how many points she had and it wasn't all the time, more like 2 times in an entire game.

... and therefore came the solution: "The only thing we care about our opponent is how many points she is making".

I believe that this right here invalidates the remainder of your suggestion.

When playing RftG with an opponent, to not be aware of what they are doing and likely to call (in terms of action selection) is to lose.

The bot in the expansion does a very good job of simulating that interaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
Reseñas de Juegos Argentinos
badge
Need a cool Graphic Design for a game you are Creating ? Maybe a banner for a kickstarter ? Ask for a quote... questions are for FREE :D
mbmbmbmbmb
Nevertheless if I want to play against another player there is nothing like another player. But if I want to play solitary I like to manage mainly my own strategy, instead of simulating too much. Only the effects of the probable opponent matter: VP and cards I won't receive because they were drawn by that opponent.

Still, for the effort of the designers only, the expansion is worth checking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wodan wodan
msg tools
Actually, the most prominent effect that the opponent has is their choice of actions, and properly predicting them can allow you to make all sorts of gains.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert B
United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: WILLSYS 1.0 rules for RFTG
I just started playing RftG this week, and a solitaire system would help familiarize me with the cards and strategies in the game. I understand Will’s point - sometimes a solitaire system can be clunky if it involves a great deal of fiddling and record keeping. Although this system is essentially playing against a range of VPs that you must beat, it does have the advantage of playing quickly and has little downtime while taking care of "robot" duties. Granted, it might not be like playing against a full-fledged opponent, but this variant provides a quick solitaire game where a player can explore different strategies and different combinations of card plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.