Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bartosz Trzaskowski

Tucson
Arizona
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, here's the story. I'm trying to prepare a nice collection of games for my kids. My gorgeous twin-girls are 2.5, so it's pretty early, but I want to prepared :)

After reading plenty of great geeklists on bgg I believe that I have an idea of what may be interesting to them and what's worth looking at. I've already picked up Sorry! Sliders, and I'm leaning heavily towards a couple of other games, namely Gulo Gulo, Animal Upon Animal and Elk Fest. Any other interesting and smart games recommendations would be very appreciated.

But that's just one thing. The other - I saw recently a nice deal on Monopoly Town (recommended age: 4-7). Unfortunately the game is not on bgg, I've checked some other sites and parents recommendations are mediocre. But these are casual parents, and I'd love to hear something on it from geak parents :)

Also, is it worth trying Monopoly with kids? I used to play the standard version and enjoyed it quite a bit (when I was 8-10), but I doubt I'd want to play it now and can totally agree on the most of the bad press it's getting on bgg. Any thoughts of a similar, but more geeky game (not too complicated though)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Weckermann
Canada
Powell River
British Coumbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you need an example of a bad game,and have the shelf space to for it to collect dust, buy all means get one. Just do not spend more than $1.00 at a thrift store for one though eh. There are enough no fun games out there for all ages, and i am sure you will come across some, do not go out of your way to look for one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Owsen
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geez, there is no harm in Monopoly. GO for it!

My kids like Life more, it's also a horrible game, but at least you are doing something with the family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CanCon, BunnyCon...BorderCon!!!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
Monopoly is not as bad as so many make out - play by the rules given and the game has something to offer on at least an educational level (how auction's work, negotiation etc).

Still it isn't a great game but having them play it will give them a reference point as they get older so they can appreciate the great games out there.

Just wait till they are 9-10 though. You can punish them now if you like with CandyLand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MSV Burns
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you like playing Monopoly? If so, play it with your kids when they're old enough.

Unless they don't like playing Monopoly. Then don't.

It seems situations with the kids where everybody's having fun is what to focus on. The game being played seems less important than the playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Onstad
United States
Donald
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is that like exposing your kids to chicken pocks in order to get it over with? I'm sorry, I just found the title amusing.

But look at it this way. If you don't teach your children monopoly they are just going to pick it up on the streets. And Then it's going to come with all kinds of house rules and who knows what else. Do the responsable thing. If you teach your children about Monopoly, then maybe when a friend from school aproaches them, they can "Just say no" Or possibly "yes" but take all the necessary precautions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GMOFreePortland.com
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
ii desu. It is good.
badge
No, I have no idea.
mbmbmbmbmb
You really don't need to go out of your way to expose them to Monopoly. You probably can't avoid it either. I never had Monopoly growing up, but I knew about from my cousins and other kids. My parents were smart enough to keep more intelligent games in the house, so I could tell the difference. If you expose your kids to good games to begin with, they probably won't really care about Monopoly when some neighbor kid wants to play. In fact, your children might convince the neighbor kids to try something other than Monopoly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How many of us fully-paid-up Monopoly-haters can honestly say we didn't enjoy playing it as a nipper?

Let's not impose our long cherished dogmas on kids for heavens sake.

I wouldn't buy it for a twelve year old unless they asked for it, but it's almost a nailed on winner for young 'uns.

Phil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff
United States
Western Great Lakes - Owashtinong Aajigaaning
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kochamkinie wrote:
Ok, here's the story. I'm trying to prepare a nice collection of games for my kids. My gorgeous twin-girls are 2.5, so it's pretty early, but I want to prepared

Now, does that mean the girls are rated 2.5 on the BGG scale or are they Edition 2.5? laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike hunt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I quite like playing Monopoly online at pogo.com That said the endgame (when you're waiting for one person to win by crushing victory) can be a bit tedious.

I've played it with my six-year-old and I don't think it's suitable. Monopoly is horrible without

(a) trading
(b) auctions

Neither of which a kid under the age of about 12 can really do successfully.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Monopoly is pretty good game, but it usually plays too long. There is a Monopoly Junior here in Europe with some kind of car that actually talks and helps the kids with the game. I have been thinking about that one (for my 5 year and 8 years kids). But most flavours of Monopoly probably has to wait until they are around 7 or so.

Also, Tier auf Tier is fun, but will be very hard for the girls until they are around 5. Their hands need to be pretty steady, and their spatial reasoning has to have matured a bit as well. I played with a bunch of 4 year olds a while ago, and they couldnĀ“t really figure out how to place the animals to make it stable, or even how to put them in the correct direction (in same direction as the others).

There are some good memory style games out there. Take a look at Kitty Bitty for example, a very nice looking game with great wooden frogs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's better than Monopoly exposing himself to your kids!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Sonnenberg
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I grew up with Monopoly. Liked it well enough, though it did take a long time to play.

We bought Monopoly Junior for our kids when they were "nippers", and they enjoyed it until they grew out of it and into regular Monopoly. (This was way before I discovered "good" games.)

The Junior version has fewer spaces, manageable money values, and plays faster. I thought it was a good game for teaching very basic money math to the kids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Butler
United States
Hughesville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
philmcd wrote:
How many of us fully-paid-up Monopoly-haters can honestly say we didn't enjoy playing it as a nipper?

Let's not impose our long cherished dogmas on kids for heavens sake.

I wouldn't buy it for a twelve year old unless they asked for it, but it's almost a nailed on winner for young 'uns.

Phil.

This guy is right on. That's like saying that you aren't going to let your kids read kids books because they are so simplistic and predictable - you are going to start them right at the good stuff ~ Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Hess.

Monopoly involves a small amount of skill and a lot of luck. It's one of the few games that gives a 7 year old an honest chance of defeating their parents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Trzaskowski

Tucson
Arizona
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to all of You for the feedback.

Anyone played Monopoly Town? This version looks totally different from the others (also from Monopoly Junior) and the publisher's suggested age is as low as 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
xofour wrote:
Is that like exposing your kids to chicken pocks in order to get it over with? I'm sorry, I just found the title amusing.

I thought it sounded like asking if you should expose them to violent R-rated movies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
I wouldn't pick up Monopoly now that I know about good games.

My oldest is 5 and he's already playing more games than I heard about before I was 20. Monopoly will be a novelty I'll let his friends "expose" him to. He'll play it once, make fun of them for being dull, and take over the real games for the next sleep over. (I'll probably sneak some card games into his bag when his mother isn't looking. Just in case.)

Now that my boys are 4 and 5 they're playing some decent games that don't require me to get entirely bored. Some I'd recommend for a grown man's collection despite being playable with kids.

My games that the boys happen to be able to play....
Tsuro - my new favorite filler, 2-8 players, under 25 minutes, the boys love it
Quoridor - great abstract game, Gigamic makes beautiful games
Quarto - awesome for pointing out likeness/differences
Batik - perfect for quick 2-player sessions, literally 60 seconds per play
PitchCar - awesome for the whole family, can play as young as 3-year old
Cathedral - good quick 2-player abstract
TransAmerica - open handed, help with reading
Othello - classic traditional abstract

Games I bought specifically for the kids...
Sequence for Kids
Guess Who?
Max
Crossbows and Catapults
How the Grinch Stole Christmas! Game - thrift store find
Cootie
Peanut Butter & Jelly Card Game
Flippin' Frogs
Topple
Memory
Clue Jr.: The Case of the Missing Cake - great for 4-older, # recognition required
Hungry Hungry Hippos
Ants in the Pants
Trouble
Don't Break the Ice
Letter Factory Game - good for learning letters (3-4 years old)
Yahtzee
Hisss

Games I'll get for them in the near to not-so-near future...
Gulo Gulo
Loopin' Louie
Sorry! Sliders

So, you can see that you don't need or have time to play Monopoly. Most of these games are worth playing (at some age) without subjecting you or your offspring to a lengthy exercise of following rules (which is what my friend calls monopoly, as opposed to being called a game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Kimmel
United States
Waconia
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not? With 1000 variations out there you can pick up a version with a theme they'll like. Just teach them the standard rules. If it becomes they're favorite game -- so what? It's better than TV or another mindless video game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Moody
United States
Asheville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Surely you can borrow the game from someone! Let them try it before buying it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonty
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Monopoly Jr is a good game, Monopoly the regular one or it's million branded versions, is not, IMO. With the Jr version, it is simple, fast play, good learning tool for counting numbers and money, etc.

My son who loves Star Wars, wanted the SW Monopoly game this past Xmas. He got it as a gift and we've played once. He's 9, he will still play the jr as a quick filler game but I've asked him about the reg. Monopoly one with the Star Wars theme and he said he didn't know the reg. Monopoly was going to be complicated. He's just a regular 9 year old, not a genius or dumb, even his love for Star Wars couldn't save the Monopoly game. I think he's turned off on Monopoly. Growing up, I've never liked Monopoly either.

I haven't played Clue but Clue Jr. is also another game I think works well to introduce younger children to gaming. We have two different Clue jr games and they both have been well liked when our son was younger. Guess Who isn't bad either but I'm starting to get off topic so I'll stop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marqos wrote:
Do you like playing Monopoly? If so, play it with your kids when they're old enough.

Unless they don't like playing Monopoly. Then don't.

It seems situations with the kids where everybody's having fun is what to focus on. The game being played seems less important than the playing.

I was floored at the brilliance of this man's question but more than a little dismayed I haven't seen an analysis of what is really at stake here:

It's not a matter of whether one simply likes or dislikes Item X or Y. It's whether he wants to give them exposure to something that holds such a robust history in our culture's collective memory.

This is a relatively deep inquiry.

Let us weigh the pros vs. cons:

Pros:

1) Monopoly, form a cultural standpoint, acts as a foundational element to many games that came afterwards. In many ways, it established the paradigm of american gaming in the mainstream for close to 30 years.

2) In a related sense, an appreciation of Monopoly's legacy and mechanics helps frame a greater appreciation for what we call Euro games (or even post modern Ameri-styled games).

3) ?

Cons:

1) Monopoly is about as fun as driving railroad ties into a grown man's urethra.

2) ... do we need any more?

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Monopoly is evil - it encourages ruthless capitalism and taking other people's stuff and getting rewarded for being like Enron, or entities like Countrywide.

It is these kinds of things that lead to conflict; often violent, that makes the subject matter for my preferred genre possible.

And you though Wargames were immoral!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
If you break it down....

Should your kids be exposed to Monopoly? - Yes
Should you be the one to expose them? - Not Necessarily
Should you purchase Monopoly to be certain you are the one that exposes them to Monopoly? - Absolutely Not

And for the record; free parking should be no more than $500. That "house rule" only prolongs the inevitable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cristian
Romania
Bucharest
EU
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Come on people, how about Go? Give kids a chance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Exposing your children to Monopoly is important, in the same way it's important to teach them about the horrors of World War II. You can't shield them forever from the terrible things that exist in the world - exposing them to those things in a controlled environment where they can ask questions and you can discuss them is an important part of parenting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.