Popular Tags: [View All]
Breno K.
Brazil
Brasília
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So... is this game worth the 100+ dollar price tag? Well, to me the short answer is no. The long (more like medium-sized, actually) answer is this review:

1) It's monstrously fiddly. Hundreds (maybe over a thousand) tiny little bits that have to be placed on and taken from the board, almost a dozen different types of them that aren't very different from each other when you look from a distance, making it kind of tough to tell them apart if you just glance by. Fish and Dye are waaaaay too similar, for an example. My huge hands hate this game.

2) The first half has no interaction whatsoever. All you can do as far as your opponent is concerned is see what sort of interaction you will have in the second half of the game ("Oh, I see he built his cathedral for that saint", so he will want many resources).

3) The fight for survival doesn't have much variety in it. You fight against famine and pollution (the game-system's nastiness) more than you fight against your opponents, and even though the game comes with a board modular enough for many different setups, I didn't find the overall feel and development of both matches I've played to be significantly different.

4) It's not that deep. I was expecting something with the depth of 18xx (ok, maybe not that much) and I found the game boils down to knowing what to build first and getting those frontier-resources before your opponent does. Also, I found some buildings to be completely unavoidable. This part I write on shaky grounds, since I've only played the game twice (against newbies, I should add), but I can't see a person being able to get through the game without building a granary very early and the alchemy building as well.

5) Huge box. Seriously, it makes no sense at all to have a box this huge. It's annoying to carry to your friend's game reunion, and annoying to store in a game shelf. Yeah, it has a ton of bits, but they're all microscopic, so that's no excuse... The box could've easily been half the size.

With this price tag and this fiddliness, this game would have to be very good to be worth it. Being only ok, I'm just glad I didn't take the 120-dollar leap of faith to find this out. The logistics and city/map-development of it is somewhat interesting, and the rules are pretty straightforward, but overall... meh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So all the problems you have with the game could be known from just reading the short rulebook. That's a huge plus.

I really, really like this game because it has the right mix of machine building, player interaction, logistics consideration, and variable maps that plays in 2-3 hours. I'm not aware of any other game that features those mechanics in the same time frame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Poole
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Udu Wudu
badge
Udu Wudu
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It's monstrously fiddly

Fiddly? compared to most euros sure However, this is nothing compared to a lot of wargames or even big "Ameritrash" games.

Quote:
It's not that deep.

I personally think thsi game has quite a lot of depth and tough decisions.

Quote:
Huge box.

This is cumbersome true, but the large box fits storage containers for all the chits nicely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think this has so many tough decisions to make as long as one simply has a proper plan in order. You have to expect the attacks when they come, and plan for some of your own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Muir
United States
New Braunfels
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that this is probably the best game in my collection. It keeps you on your seat and every time we play 4 hours passes in what seems like 1 hour.

Respectfully
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Today, we're all Spaniards!
I'm getting a vibe off of this game that reminds me of the Civilization computer game. Fair assessment? (If you've played it)

Looking at the pictures associated with this game - Wow, lots of chits.

I think that even if the game play were superlative, I'd steer clear of this one. What were the set up and tear down times like?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Breno K.
Brazil
Brasília
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
falloutfan wrote:
I'm getting a vibe off of this game that reminds me of the Civilization computer game. Fair assessment? (If you've played it)

Looking at the pictures associated with this game - Wow, lots of chits.

I think that even if the game play were superlative, I'd steer clear of this one. What were the set up and tear down times like?

Yeah, it's like PC civilization without the warfare and without the computer doing all the bookkeeping.

Setup and tear down was annoying with ziplock bags for the items, but I bought a plano box (as a thank-you gift to the game's owner for lending me his 100 dollar game so that I could take it to a boardgame event in a nearby city here). The different compartments of the box helped keep things more manageable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get a plano box and setup time is like 1-2 minutes assuming you have one of each special building in another baggie for each player. Tear down takes a bit longer...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C.K. Au
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah the box is huge.. but it looks classic! And to me, it seems there's a reason for that size since it allows me to store all the various bits-n-pieces neatly in these storage boxes (used here in Msia to keep business cards).

It reduces setup time tremendously.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/boardgamecafes/3227330493/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don D.
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I just played my first game today, a good two + years after the OP...its a $300 dollar FANTASTIC game! Among the top 5 games I've ever played no doubt. Money is an issue prohibitig some from being able to get this for sure, but if you're sitting on a 75+ game collection I fully endorse getting this, even if it requires you going on a spending fast and not buying regular retail games for a long enough time to build up the $300. Truly great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.