Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Creative Minds join in ! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hey there you creative fellows of the BGG community! your help is needed!

I've already once (and a half) time before had the honour of somehow (I really don't know how the heck I got there) get in contact with people working on a game design project.

These are very friendly and enthusiastic people who put a real deal of effort in an endeavour, to try to get their ideas going and materialized from concept to reality.

The one where I collaborated the first time was this nice little gem, Battlefields of Olympus, which not long ago finally came out! (don't even dare to think I did anything worth mentionin g, I just playtested a bit and gave some oppinions, I completely lack any skills on any level that would be helpful for such endeavours hehehe)

And that's exactly the moment where you my dear and oh so brilliant reader come into play!

Allright, here the situation, I somehow got in touch with a fellow bgger who's planning to make a pc-version of this boardgame: Charge!

Right now, he's already pretty advanced in the project I gotta say! I've already come to see the game board, and it really looks outstanding! Seriously, this implementation will look definitly awesome.
But what he now needs is more of suggestions of how you guys, the players, think it should be implemented, "how it should look like" so to speak. I'll be adding more questions he wants to get answered as time passes

So here some initial points:

- What are your thoughts about PBEM, online, single player?
- Use units like the ones in the boardgame (counters) or use standing units (sprite like or something like units in a
RTS videogame). You can see the units on the game site.

And well, anyone who got interested in contributing in some way, just leave a line; and comment your thoughts, just let your inspiration flow people!

Take care!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
- What are your thoughts about PBEM, online, single player?

All of the above? The more options the better I think.
PBEM would be the easiest,
Online would require a users, logins, moderators, forums, etc.
Single Player would require AI.

If it's going to be a computer game, then I think some nice sprites would be cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Andrew. The more options the better. PBEM will be the easist to implement but the other two would be worth while. The ability to play against the AI will go a long way to popularity IMO.

Sprites are cool, well....just because they are

I admire what he is trying to do, but basing PC game on a game that is kind of obscure is risky due to the fact not many people know about it. Getting people to try it will be the hard part I think.

I wish him luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Lewis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Good at learning, useless at playing
badge
No secret message here
mbmbmbmbmb
Please please, if you implement PBEM, encrypt the files and add (optional) password protection for each side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
Game Artisans of Canada Member
badge
My Best Bud Parker 2004-2016
mbmbmbmbmb
The Battle at Waterloo is probably one of the most interesting historical conflicts. The epic struggle between Wellington and Napoleon, and the timely arrival of the Prussian army lead by Blucher; all of which made for a very dramatic day. In a time where musket accuracy was terrible and the reload times even worse, and men had to move in tight formation to be an effective force; I can't think of a greater battle to turn into a boadgame.

As for representing armies using chits or sprites why not the option to choose either. It does mean more work creating the artwork, but you placate all camps in the process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren2
Belgium
flag msg tools
Thanks Dark SOul

I need some info about PBEM from a computer program(game).
I'm new with PBEM and I want to implement it.
Can You help me?
Sending gamefiles to eachother?
Why encrypting?
How to go along?
How to prevent cheating?

Thanks,

Ren2

P.S. The game is coming along nicely!
I will be a digital boardgame!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.