Joel Weeks
United States
Roswell
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vrooom vroooom. Motorcycles, tight turns, brakes, skidding burning tires in the curves and engines throttled up to take a higher position in the pack.

The bikes are really cool as is the track.

Players: Dana, Carlos, Ron, Patrick, Adam, Joel

Carlos and Ron put the track together. Joel sat in awe of their track building ability. The best I've ever done was Hot Wheels tracks and those bright purple connectors.

So after some discussion about rule disputes about how the dice worked in the three levels of difficulty of the curves, 1, 2 and 3. We began.

Patrick took off to an early lead, followed basically by the pack. Joel was somewhere back in the middle. Starting the game with a roll off is not a clear way to victory so I wasn't in high hopes.

After the first turn 3 decided to make the game 3 laps and not 6.

With another couple of good rolls Patrick was way out in the lead and the rest of us were convinced that it was going to be hard to catch him. However, Dana quickly moved from 4th place to second. Carlos burned a lot of engine and tire trying to get position and we mocked him for it.

I was perpetually stuck in 4th place. I didn't win a single roll off which kept me struggling to pass the other guys who were smart enough to position themselves in curves. Adam and Ron fell way behind by the end of the first lap which had Patrick in the lead, Dana and Carlos virtually tied for 2nd, me in 4th.

Adam and Ron stayed way back through the 2nd lap whose only real event was Carlos spending the rest of his engine points. Which led to some tension as we all hoped he would burn out. We were feeling cruel.

The pack closed up a bit as we went into the 3rd lap. Joel couldn't get a good roll to save his life and was overtaken by Ron. Patrick ran into a back strink of bad rolls which allowed Dana to pass him on the second to last straight away. A lead that Dana never gave up. I had one last chance to move up among the leaders but failed, however I did pass Carlos.

Dana whizzed across the finish line with Patrick and Ron in hot pursuit. Joel came in 4th, Carlos 5th and a disgruntled Adam far behind in last place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Temske
United States
Roswell
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
..and from what I've been able to read, we played the rules incorrectly on the corners. Appears the rules only apply if you start your turn in the corner, not if you're just passing through. Looks like a rematch is in order

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Poulos
United States
Oak Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
I guess there's more to starting a game company than just having a name... :(
badge
What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, a gaming machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this gamer does is sleep and eat and place little meeples, and that's all.
mbmbmbmbmb
which track did you use?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Temske
United States
Roswell
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We used the first standard-rules track in the book - April Raceway. The mistake we made (or I think we made) was that we used the cornering rules anytime you touched a corner during your turn. For example, if you were in a straight-away, but flipping your lower die would result in you entering a level 2 corner, you couldn't do so. It will be interesting to try it where the corner rules only apply when starting your roll in a corner, as this would have had us moving much faster on the track. (We had a lot of slow corners because we weren't allowing dice flipping).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike zebrowski
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
targetu wrote:
The mistake we made (or I think we made) was that we used the cornering rules anytime you touched a corner during your turn.

Yup, that was a mistake.

If you look on pages 22-23, the rules summaries, step 3 states that you flip your dice based on your current position.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patroclus
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joelbear wrote:
vrooom vroooom. Motorcycles, tight turns, brakes, skidding burning tires in the curves and engines throttled up to take a higher position in the pack.

The bikes are really cool as is the track.

Players: Dana, Carlos, Ron, Patrick, Adam, Joel

Carlos and Ron put the track together. Joel sat in awe of their track building ability. The best I've ever done was Hot Wheels tracks and those bright purple connectors.

So after some discussion about rule disputes about how the dice worked in the three levels of difficulty of the curves, 1, 2 and 3. We began.

Patrick took off to an early lead, followed basically by the pack. Joel was somewhere back in the middle. Starting the game with a roll off is not a clear way to victory so I wasn't in high hopes.

After the first turn 3 decided to make the game 3 laps and not 6.

With another couple of good rolls Patrick was way out in the lead and the rest of us were convinced that it was going to be hard to catch him. However, Dana quickly moved from 4th place to second. Carlos burned a lot of engine and tire trying to get position and we mocked him for it.

I was perpetually stuck in 4th place. I didn't win a single roll off which kept me struggling to pass the other guys who were smart enough to position themselves in curves. Adam and Ron fell way behind by the end of the first lap which had Patrick in the lead, Dana and Carlos virtually tied for 2nd, me in 4th.

Adam and Ron stayed way back through the 2nd lap whose only real event was Carlos spending the rest of his engine points. Which led to some tension as we all hoped he would burn out. We were feeling cruel.

The pack closed up a bit as we went into the 3rd lap. Joel couldn't get a good roll to save his life and was overtaken by Ron. Patrick ran into a back strink of bad rolls which allowed Dana to pass him on the second to last straight away. A lead that Dana never gave up. I had one last chance to move up among the leaders but failed, however I did pass Carlos.

Dana whizzed across the finish line with Patrick and Ron in hot pursuit. Joel came in 4th, Carlos 5th and a disgruntled Adam far behind in last place.

sounds like a fun race!

Someone will have to get some voice files of toby moody ("the voice of motogp") to announce their races!
"The red lights are off! GO!!!! Cracking start from Patrick!"
"Dana is making a charge and closing the gap with the leader!"
etc. etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Temske
United States
Roswell
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike Zebrowski wrote:
targetu wrote:
The mistake we made (or I think we made) was that we used the cornering rules anytime you touched a corner during your turn.

Yup, that was a mistake.

If you look on pages 22-23, the rules summaries, step 3 states that you flip your dice based on your current position.

Read the rules? You're talking nonsense now

Yeah - missed that. Always tough the first time you're playing a game and have only read the rules with no one who's played before. Oh well, perfect excuse for a rematch!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.