Popular Tags: [View All]
Emily H.
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought Starcraft recently mostly because my boyfriend Mike, who is a big fan of the computer game, wanted to try it. It was rated highly on the Geek, and I love sci-fi games, so it seemed like a good choice (especially since it was actually recommended with 2 players by BGGers).

The rules were long, so Mike graciously offered to be the one to read and explain, which helped speed things along since I have the attention span of a 6 year old and it would have taken forever for me to get through the novel that poses as a rule book for the game.

Before I begin, I'd like to add that I am not, in general, an aggressive gamer. It's not that I will never attack other players in games, but it does take me a while to get really comfortable with the game before I'm willing to do so. So, when I play those games where one player can attack the other, I am naturally inclined to play defensively. I prefer to wait for others to attack me and reap whatever defensive advantages the game gives me.

In Starcraft, however, the number of units that you can have in any given space is limited, and an attacker can move two more units than the number you have to defend in to attack.

This did not bode well for my defensive strategy.

For our first game, I chose the Queen of Blades, the only female leader available in the game, and one of the bug-like Zerg, and Mike chose Jim Raynor, a human.

From the initial set-up, I had pretty good planets at my disposal - my home base was Torus and my second planet was Helios. Mike ended up with Antiga Prime as his home planet and Braken as his second planet. I had easy access to 4 victory points and 7 additional resources on the first turn. This made me jump ahead to an early lead. For the most part, I spend the first turns building units, workers, bases, and modules and doing some research. I did not, of course, build any extra transports, because I had no intention of attacking the other planets until I felt completely safe from attack on my own planets.

This did not work so well for me at first, since Mike does not like to play defensively. He quickly took over one of my conquest point areas on Helios on the second turn, eliminating my base in the process. It occurred to me that I would have to use the "build" action twice in order to make more units on Helios, so I decided to build them on Torus and move them over to attack and try to regain my territory. In retrospect, I don't really know why I did this. It would probably have been better just to build a base there during my next turn so that I could build units where I needed them.

Anyway, the next couple of turns saw Mike get another conquest area on Helios but I was able to get the first one back a little bit later. This resulted in us having the same score after a few turns at about 9 points each. Still, Mike kept making units on Antiga Prime, so I knew he was going to come over and try to take my 2 conquest point home base area soon.

Well, I was fairly downtrodden at this point, because I did not think I could stop him from taking my base with only my two Hydralisks standing guard there. I brightened up, however, when I remembered that I hadn't built the module that protects my home base, so I made sure that I was able to build that to force him to go through another area first on his way to take my home base over.

We realized the next turn would be the last one (we each had 12 points each). We each controlled 3 points in conquest areas, and we were also tied in resources (which is the tiebreaker). It was clear that we were definitely going to be fighting over the conquest point areas this turn.

I was fortunate enough to have an event card that let me put two units in one empty area on any planet. I moved some guys from the one space that I had 4 units in (on Torus), if only so I would have space to build some of my awesome Ultralisks during the final round. I threw them in an empty resource area on Braken, where Mike only had one guy, so I took control of the area.

More importantly, I put a move token on this planet first in the next round. Going first, I knew that he could make sure that he was able to build more units on this planet in time to protect his conquest point from being taken from him and his base destroyed, but by putting the move token there, I wanted to make sure that he had to waste a move building units. I didn't really care about the two guys I had moved there, but they would have been enough to take over the conquest point area had he not built any extra units to defend with.

So, for my actions during the final round, I put 3 move tokens down first - one on each of the planets that I had units on (2 silver and 1 gold on Braken, Torus, and Helios). For my final action, I used a gold build token on Torus (crossing my fingers that things would work out so that I could build my awesome Ultralisks in time).

For Braken and Torus, Mike had ended up putting tokens on top of mine. Because I had to go first, Mike was able to control when I was able to take those actions, which left me with only one choice for my first action.

With my first move, I took back the conquest point area on Helios - the one I had lost several turns ago.

With his first move, Mike built units on Braken - the one that he'd left only one guy to guard.

For my second action, I again had only one choice, so I attacked his units on Braken. I lost, easily, but I wasn't really trying to win since he had built strong enough units to ensure that I wouldn't be able to take his conquest point area.

Well, at this point, he began his attack. His first attack was on an area with a hydralisk and a queen. The hydralisk died, and the queen's support power took one of his units out in the struggle. The queen survived, which let me keep the area and build there on my next turn.

Or so we thought....after looking up some rules questions that we had after the game, we realized that units with the "assist" keyword, like queens, can't defend an area. So....I should not have been able to build the three awesome Ultralisks there that I built on my next turn. Oops.

Mike used his next turn (after I built the Ultralisks) to take over my 2 conquest point home base, and I used my last turn to take it back. After thinking about our rules error, we agreed that I would have been able to bring enough units from Helios over to attack the two he had left to guard the area to still be able to take it back. But then, I wouldn't have been able to use my Ultralisks, and that would have made me very sad.

Overall, it was fun, and I managed to eke out a win without really mounting an offensive on Mike's two planets. Still, if I play this game again, I'm pretty sure that I will be a lot less cautious. The bonuses provided to attackers (extra combat cards and extra units to bring into the battle) are just too good to make a defensive strategy worth pursuing.

On another note, when I first started playing, I saw on my Queen of Blades card that I could win at any time simply by controlling 3 conquest point areas. Well, I would have been able to do this on my first turn, and Mike wouldn't have been able to stop me. However, on my reference card, it said that I needed to control 4 areas to win. We both agreed that this was probably right, since it would be too easy to get to 3 areas to make the game worthwhile. After we finished, we checked Fantasy Flight's website and apparently, the Queen of Blades really does only need to control 3 areas to win. Has this caused problems for anyone and made the game seem unbalanced? Or do other players simply place their planets and make sure that this does not happen?

Thanks for reading!

EDIT: Switched part of a sentence around to make it read clearer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One important rule is that your special victory conditions don't kick in until you enter phase 3 of the game - that is, until you've burnt through about two-thirds of the event deck. So the special victory conditions like you describe don't come into play early in the game, when everyone's building up units and they might be easy to get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emily H.
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhh...thank you. That makes much more sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Runyan
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EmilyMoby wrote:

In Starcraft, however, the number of units that you can have in any given space is limited, and an attacker can move two more units than the number you have to defend in to attack.

Crap, I have gone over these rules like a million times and I didn't catch that (about the attacker unit limit). Do you know what it's under?

Too many of the vital exceptions are not included in main entries but instead are hidden in the sidebars...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emily H.
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jpwrunyan wrote:
EmilyMoby wrote:

Crap, I have gone over these rules like a million times and I didn't catch that (about the attacker unit limit). Do you know what it's under?

Too many of the vital exceptions are not included in main entries but instead are hidden in the sidebars...

By "the number you have to defend," I was referring to the maximum number that you, as the defender of an area, could have in the area (called the unit limit). So, if an area would hold 4 and you only have 2 guys in there, the attacker can still move 6 guys in to attack (um...this happened to me in the game. It was not pretty).

It's on page 25 of the rulebook in the second paragraph under the first heading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EMELT
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a good time was had!

Another important advantage for the attacker is that they get to set up the skirmish matchups as well. This can be very usefull because you as the attacker can take advantage of your best cards.

You can also this to exploit your opponent, like if they have been depending a lot on particular cards, they will run out at some point. This is how the game represents being in combat and getting wounded. If you don't have any cards left with your front line unit on them, then you have to rely on the minor values of other cards, which tend to be weaker, representing your depleted status. After enough time has passed (reshuffling the combat deck and drawing enough cards), you will come across those cards again. This represents repairs, healing, and shields recharging and such like would happen in the video game.

Like if you had 3 ultralisks and a hydralisk attacking, but you didn't have any ultralisk cards, you can put the hydralisk up front and have all that extra support from the ultralisks instead of an ultralisk using the minor values from a non ultralisk attack card (most probably giving you really low health for an ultralisk) where you would risk death much more easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sgsdfsfg sfdgdfgsdfg

Rinkaby
Sweden
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Or so we thought....after looking up some rules questions that we had after the game, we realized that units with the "assist" keyword, like queens, can't defend an area.

But they Can if they are the ONLY one that survived, no? And same for attacking, if the only one surviving is an assisting unit, they can still stay in the area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.