Popular Tags: [View All]
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Had both bad and good luck in the setup and first turn of Scenario 40. I played German. The random setup put three Russian Units, one with the 8-2 leader Sgt Bikovets, in the '1' row, right on my board edge, ready to move off for points and later reappear. Only a single German unit was set up on the Russian half of the board, just past center.

Germans get the first turn, but I had no fire cards in my opening hand. However, both of my Pionier units with flamethrowers were randomly set up close to Sgt Bikovets. Providentially, my hand included a move card and TWO Assault Fire actions. Both Pionier units moved adjacent to Bikovets, and each Assault fire card activated one flamethrower (boxed FP) to flame his hex. Bikovets died, while his accompanying squad survived, broken, to move off the board.

I was very lucky with the placment of my leader/flamethrowers and with my opening hand. Killing an opponent's 2-radius leader before he gets a turn is a big advantage in any scenario.

Naturally Bikovets reappeared shortly through a 'walking wounded' event, randomly landing exactly in the central Russian bunker which sat on top of a sewer entrance ! Aaaaargh !

My Germans managed to push through the center of the Russian defence and exit a half-dozen units, which was enough to win at sudden death.

If you haven't tried scenario 40 you REALLY should, as it is a Cracking Good Play !

Chick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You do know, you can also just use Assault Fire with a single flamethrower, to fire it twice? You don't need to use both units (if you don't want to).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't know why this posted to Pacific, I must have messed up, but believe I did post it to Stalingrad Pack.

Which brings up an interesting question, WHAT is gained by having five different boards for Combat Commander? Seems counterproductive to me.

Anyway, David has a good point, since assault fire is an action, and the number of actions is only limited by cards in hand and meeting the prerequisites (perquisites?) I could have used the same FT to fire twice on the same move activation. Never realized that before it was pointed out.

Chick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Which brings up an interesting question, WHAT is gained by having five different boards for Combat Commander? Seems counterproductive to me.

Each game (some times many editions of the same game, like Monopoly) and expansion has its own entry in the 'Geek database. This allows showing different games in your collection / ratings / games played data / identifying different editions for sale or trade / etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Because it gives you five chances to hope for something new and fun to read instead of just one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Drake's answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Three points to Olvenskol !

And thanks for Richard's true-but-mundane explanation, as well.

Chick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.