Popular Tags: [View All]
Javi Santos
Spain
sevilla
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
Yesterday I had my first game with my wife, and we really enjoyed it a lot. I could survive with the Spanish in the last turn with one unit! We were both laughing at the tension we were having

One question: can you just discard a card to be able to draw another one in the next turn? I had Las Manolas card in my hand, but at that moment it was useless. I had 3 cards in my hand, and Isa had only one. I wanted to make sure that I could draw on the following turn, even if she used her card. So I decided to play Las Manolas, even though it was useless. But I'm not sure if this was completely legal...

Thanks,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Val
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
barnyams36 wrote:
Hi,
Yesterday I had my first game with my wife, and we really enjoyed it a lot. I could survive with the Spanish in the last turn with one unit! We were both laughing at the tension we were having

One question: can you just discard a card to be able to draw another one in the next turn? I had Las Manolas card in my hand, but at that moment it was useless. I had 3 cards in my hand, and Isa had only one. I wanted to make sure that I could draw on the following turn, even if she used her card. So I decided to play Las Manolas, even though it was useless. But I'm not sure if this was completely legal...

Thanks,

Javi,

Discarding cards is not allowed. You either play them or keep them in your hand once they have been drawn. And you need to fulfill certain condition on the cards to play some of them. For instance, Las Manolas is only playable if the Spanish player has at least a unit in area 20.

I hope that helped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javi Santos
Spain
sevilla
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I was re-reading the rules yesterday, and I noticed the fact that you cannot discard. But... what about playing a card that will have no effect? I'm sorry I don't remember the name of the card, but there is one for the Spaniards that adds +1 to the strength in zone 2,3 and 4. Suppose there is no Spaniard unit in either zone, but you want to play it. Would it be allowed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Val
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
barnyams36 wrote:
Ok, I was re-reading the rules yesterday, and I noticed the fact that you cannot discard. But... what about playing a card that will have no effect? I'm sorry I don't remember the name of the card, but there is one for the Spaniards that adds +1 to the strength in zone 2,3 and 4. Suppose there is no Spaniard unit in either zone, but you want to play it. Would it be allowed?

You cannot play a card unless you meet the conditions on it. So, for Capt Luis Daoiz (tha card you are talking about), there needs to be a contested area in order to be a fight. Without any Spanish units there, you cannot play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javi Santos
Spain
sevilla
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for the answer. Then I have to admit that my victory against my wife was probably not legalcry

I think it could be said that whenever you play a card, you have to give REAL use to the card. Otherwise, you are not allowed to do this. Then, the rule of not permitting the other player to draw more cards may take a big, big importance...

+++
En español. Entiendo entonces que para quitarme una carta de las manos, necesito que al jugarla sea legal (por ejemplo, sea en un turno en el que efectivamente pueda jugarla), y además tenga un uso real. Por ejemplo, si uso la carta Presos de la Cárcel Real, es porque en realidad voy a mover esa agrupación. Si no hay una agrupación que pueda hacer ese movimiento, no puede jugarse la carta. Y eso es lo que me pasó a mi. Simplemente la jugué, sin que ninguna agrupación pudiera aprovecharse de ello, para poder robar alguna carta más. Entiendo que eso fue un error. Debió ganar mi señora laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Doesn't this exacerbate the problem of a poor draw? It's bad enough already to draw a card that you cannot use, say the Manolas after turn 3, which is very likely to happen. Not being able to draw other cards makes it even worse. Makes the luck swings that much bigger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Val
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
barnyams36 wrote:
Thank you very much for the answer. Then I have to admit that my victory against my wife was probably not legalcry

I think it could be said that whenever you play a card, you have to give REAL use to the card. Otherwise, you are not allowed to do this. Then, the rule of not permitting the other player to draw more cards may take a big, big importance...

+++
En español. Entiendo entonces que para quitarme una carta de las manos, necesito que al jugarla sea legal (por ejemplo, sea en un turno en el que efectivamente pueda jugarla), y además tenga un uso real. Por ejemplo, si uso la carta Presos de la Cárcel Real, es porque en realidad voy a mover esa agrupación. Si no hay una agrupación que pueda hacer ese movimiento, no puede jugarse la carta. Y eso es lo que me pasó a mi. Simplemente la jugué, sin que ninguna agrupación pudiera aprovecharse de ello, para poder robar alguna carta más. Entiendo que eso fue un error. Debió ganar mi señora laugh

Sí, debió haber ganado ella. Piensa que si pudieses jugar las cartas de cualquier manera sería como descartarlas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Val
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
drunkenKOALA wrote:
Doesn't this exacerbate the problem of a poor draw? It's bad enough already to draw a card that you cannot use, say the Manolas after turn 3, which is very likely to happen. Not being able to draw other cards makes it even worse. Makes the luck swings that much bigger.

What you mention usually affects the Spanish player with cards such as Las Manolas, Teniente Ruiz, El Alcalde de Móstoles, etc... With this I tried to incentivate the Spanish player to try to play his events, otherwise he could get stuck with a hand of unplayable cards.

I hope that does not annoy you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
monkeyrobot wrote:
drunkenKOALA wrote:

What you mention usually affects the Spanish player with cards such as Las Manolas, Teniente Ruiz, El Alcalde de Móstoles, etc... With this I tried to incentivate the Spanish player to try to play his events, otherwise he could get stuck with a hand of unplayable cards.

I hope that does not annoy you!

But sometimes it's not within the player's control. There's a card that adds one red cube before turn 7. So if the Spanish player draws this card on turn 7, 8, or 9, not only is this card useless, it might also prevent him from drawing another card. So instead of the swing of one useful versus one useless card, it's a swing of two useful versus two useless cards (one of them being virtual and not drawn). I don't mind a little luck in the card draws. But this rule just magnifies the luck of the draw because you are penalized additionally for drawing a poor card you cannot use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
There's another issue: The two card combination that lets the Spanish win after defeating only 3 french units. If the Spanish can discard or play pointless cards, he has a very good chance of drawing the two cards before the end of the game. If he's not allowed to discard, it's quote possible for the french to deny him that possibility by stopping to draw cards early.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Oftentimes, those two cards are the useless cards. A good french player shouldn't lose more than one or two units. And if you draw only one of those two cards, it's even more useless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
drunkenKOALA wrote:
Oftentimes, those two cards are the useless cards. A good french player shouldn't lose more than one or two units. And if you draw only one of those two cards, it's even more useless.

shake

How is this supposed to be constructive?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
hibikir wrote:
drunkenKOALA wrote:

shake

How is this supposed to be constructive?

How is it not? You suggested that being able to draw these 2 cards may be too good for the Spanish. I am telling you how it isn't. Just because it's not something that you want to hear doesn't mean it's not constructive. How was your post constructive? shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.