Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a solo session with this variant: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/358429

Surprise
Americans gain surprise but fail to bring all their artillery up. On the left Hessians back off into town, giving ground but forming ranks. American morale doesn't hold up and often they fail to close the distance and make close quarters attacks but do cature the northwest section of Trenton. Hessians are in a refused flank position, but they cannot at first succeed in retaking part of the town, nor in shattering American infantry as it falls back. Greene personally leads a regiment in breaking the Hessian center and causing them to fall back, in part because they were facing the wrong direction!

Rall's Death
Hessians on the right take artillery damage while Greene leads renewed attacks on their left flank. Battle for west Trenton leads to Rall's death as the flank caves in. Washington at last orders all of his men forward.

Hessians are forced into the southeast corner of Trenton, with many units having poor morale. The Americans drive though is sputtering. When bringing up the reserves, Washington suffers a minor wound from shrapnel. He is then hit again and dies!great American artillery does smash the German guns but cannot send the the infantry flying and Greene brings in the last strong formation in an attempt to break the Hessians. The Hessians, although shaken, deliver strong volleys and soon the Americans are breaking. Greene decides to simply use his guns to batter the Hessians from a distance, who finally withdraw but not in disarray.

Conclusion
Although the Hessians lost tactically, the high causalities and lose of Washington make this a Pyrrhic victory. I doubt that we'll win our independence; maybe a negotiated settlement could be achieved?

If an officer becomes a causality I roll a die an on a 1-2 he he killed. That is becoming quite common now and this scenario was no exception. Facing rules didn't play a tremendous part, but they added nuance. I suggest them to anyone who wants to bring this to another level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to hear these worked for you. I'll need to try some more solo or face-to-face games with them.

Some open questions:

Should units be able to advance into a hex and change facing by one hexside in the same move? I'm leaning toward yes.

I also think units should be able to about face for free and still be able to move one hex. One open question is whether they should be able to fire in this circumstance. I'm leaning toward yes.

I'm considering letting linear units fire to their flank with one die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Glad to hear these worked for you. I'll need to try some more solo or face-to-face games with them.

Some open questions:

Should units be able to advance into a hex and change facing by one hexside in the same move? I'm leaning toward yes.

I also think units should be able to about face for free and still be able to move one hex. One open question is whether they should be able to fire in this circumstance. I'm leaning toward yes.

I'm considering letting linear units fire to their flank with one die.

My thoughts: about face and move is fine. Firing to flank with one die is good also. I say that if you move and about face you shouldn't be able to fire.

My own variant idea is that after a round of close combat, the defender should again check for morale to see if they withdraw. I think that is a good way of modeling bayonet charges and their impact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="gittes"]

Quote:
My thoughts: about face and move is fine. Firing to flank with one die is good also. I say that if you move and about face you shouldn't be able to fire.

Makes sense due to the tactics of the time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.