Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Is Air now more than ever the ultimate weapon?

Is it me, or did Siege Tanks just get even lamer?

Sure, tanks now have collateral damage, but does that compensate for the fact that there are now a bzongaload of airborne Conquest Points that the Siege can't vie for?

Last night, I went in wanting to build straight Terran Vehicle Track, going Vultures and Siege for ground, and getting Goliaths if my Protoss foe went to air. The problem with that plan is then I'd be unable to contest the Conquest points in the air. I'm sure our game was exceptional, but we had 4 flying conquest points and 0 land-based conquest points. The presence of just one of these flying conquest points is enough to give me serious pause before exploring anything but the flying track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course those planets have to be drawn during setup, but yeah air would be the way to go IMO as well. Scourge got better, they are nasty little buggers now to camp out on air vp's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EMELT
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the case you described, I'd say air was definately the way to go.

In general though, consider the damage you can cause with your collateral damage against their bases. They're screwed even if you don't kill every unit on the area (as long as your seige tank lives through it's skirmish).

I went air in the last game and lost about 2 of the 4 carriers I built that game (and I was using Arbiters with cloaking field and stasis field with a Kadarin Core to boot). I just didn't have enough arbiters in enough places at first. I was more set on achieving personal objectives than in taking no losses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrWeasely wrote:
Is it me, or did Siege Tanks just get even lamer?

Sure, tanks now have collateral damage, but does that compensate for the fact that there are now a bzongaload of airborne Conquest Points that the Siege can't vie for?

Yes, it does. Last session, I demolished 3 enemy bases with Siege Tanks and as a result greatly disrupted my opponents' plans. There was only 1 flyers-only CP area in the Galaxy. I just ignored it and conquered the rest.

That's what makes Starcraft such a great game. Multiple paths to victory and different Galaxy setup for each and every game, makes players think about their decisions and build orders instead of just playing the same strategy in every situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joachim Pehl
Germany
Daubach
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The siege tank is now better than before, imo

1. There are areas which are ground-only
2. Colleteral Damage
3. The Goliath unit is now much better than before thanks to its new technique against flying units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon L
Canada
flag msg tools
I think that in the extreme case of a two player game with only air points, yes, siege tanks are lame. But that is a pretty ridiculous scenario to judge the unit as a whole, or to say that now air is the ultimate weapon.

I agree with those above me that the Terran vehicle tree is a lot more viable now, perhaps even to the point of being usable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Agreed. Collateral Damage makes up for a multitude of sins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Sasse
Germany
Waiblingen
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, and the Goliaths can now really deter enemies by simply killing air units before battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calixtus Ashley Wee
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
Siege Range:

Siege Units may Attack during a Mobilisation Order, from another Area to the Area Mobilised into. It may not be Attacked back in such a case, unless the Enemy too has Siege Range. Stationary Siege Range refers to Siege Units that must already be on the Planet, in order to use the Siege Range Ability, while Siege Units need not be present on the Planet in the first place, in order to Attack the Mobilised Area from another one. Mobile Siege Units can move away from a Contested Area, and then Attack at Siege Range.

Charon Boosters(1m2g): x1 (Permanent) Goliath
Place in your play area.
Your Goliath Units gain Mobile Air Siege Range.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.