Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Gage
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
mb
This unusual situation came up in a recent game:

A stack of 3 German units was enduring a rather unpleasant artillery attack. The artillery impact roll had been made and the first of the German units got a time trigger when making its fire defense roll. The German player then played a Dig In action to put foxholes in the hex.

Can the newly created foxholes be destroyed by the artillery, assuming the the proper fortification vulnerability roll was made, or has the moment for checking for the destruction of fortifications already passed?

The rules specify that "...any Fortification in the targeted hex is destroyed before any units therein make their Fire Defense Rolls."

Since a unit in the hex had made a fire defense roll I would think that the new foxholes cannot be destroyed, but I am not entirely comfortable with my interpretation, literal though it is. I wonder if the use of "before" is not so much to establish an order of events but more to remind players that units will not benefit from fortifications that are being destroyed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Fortification vulnerability is checked as part of the fire attack roll. Since that roll has already been made for the hex under attack, the newly placed foxholes are not vulnerable to destruction from this attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Richard. It seems perfectly clear to me, you check for fortification destruction when you make the attack roll, and before any units make their defense rolls. If the fortifications weren't there then they can't be destroyed.

If the attack roll itself triggered the time advance, and the foxholes were placed during that time advance, then they could be immediately destroyed. Because the resolution of the trigger (time advance) happens before the roll itself is applied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Gage
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
mb
I am glad you fellows see it like I did. I was playing as the Germans so I would have had a bit of a vested interest in how the question was resolved, but in the actual event, as best I can recall, the fire attack roll would not have destroyed the foxholes in any case. It was a crucial moment in the game, though, so it seemed best to put the issue to rest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.