Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mario J
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi gang.

I’ve been playing Agricola with my sister this past week (about 7 games in total, only once with the cards), and we understand the basic mechanics of the game, but I feel like we really suck at it, lol.

All our games look very similar, first player takes 3 wood on the first turn, and the second player takes starting player marker to take the 3 wood the next round. We’re wasting a lot of actions this way, and it takes a really long to build anything.

So far, both of us have used the strategy to build pastures and collect as many animals as we can. And while both of us prioritize expending our family as fast as possible, I find it to be too hard to feed all the members, especially towards the end of the game.

Reading “Complex Strategies for Agricola” thread by WhiteKong, has opened my eyes a bit (Thank you!). Before that, I didn’t even consider baking bread as a viable option. With that in mind, I have some idea of how to play “better” in our future games, but if anyone would like to share some light and give me some extra tips, I would really appreciate that.

My best score so far is 35 points, and that was with cards. My sister is a little better at it, and our last family game ended 25 to 32 in her favor.

I’ve also got a quick question: if on the action space there are more animals then I can keep in my pasture, and I can’t cook them yet, what happens to the extras? Do they stay on the action space, or are they placed back in the pile?

also, when animals breed, and my pasture is full, while the other pasture is empty, can i breed "into" the empty pasture (or keep the new animal as a house pet if i don't have one yet)?

i'd appreciate any help i can get

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Spencer
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
northrop wrote:
Reading “Complex Strategies for Agricola” thread by WhiteKong, has opened my eyes a bit (Thank you!). Before that, I didn’t even consider baking bread as a viable option. With that in mind, I have some idea of how to play “better” in our future games, but if anyone would like to share some light and give me some extra tips, I would really appreciate that.

My advice is to keep playing with the cards. They'll give you little hints as to where your priorities can be placed to play differently.

northrop wrote:
if on the action space there are more animals then I can keep in my pasture, and I can’t cook them yet, what happens to the extras? Do they stay on the action space, or are they placed back in the pile?

They're put back in the pile.

northrop wrote:
also, when animals breed, and my pasture is full, while the other pasture is empty, can i breed "into" the empty pasture (or keep the new animal as a house pet if i don't have one yet)?

Yes.

Keep playing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
northrop wrote:
I feel like we really suck at it, lol.

You do.

But seriously, there is no reason to take start player just to take the 3 wood. You are wasting an action to get three wood. That wood will become available eventually. In the meantime you can get grain, clay, reed, plow, sow, hire occupations. You don't need the wood to have good use for the sheep. Depending on which round the sheep are first available, often the best move is to grab clay, build a fireplace, and grab the sheep right before the other person and cook them for food.

The tactics go on and on. You will learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dont neglect the major improvements...
afterall with 2 simple (clay and stone oven) purchases, you can make 13 food out of 3 wheat.

That of course will feed a family of 4/5 plus leftovers, or a family of 3 for 2 harvests. (combine this with minor improvements or occupations which improve the plowing and sowing for added efficiency)

Or you could purchase a cooking hearth, and cook animals for 2,3 or 5 food each. (combine this with minor improvements or occupations which give bonus to pasteurs for added efficiency)

less efficient, but the joinery, pottery, or basketmakers workshop allows the turning of wood clay or reed to food.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario J
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks a lot for the tips guys!

i hope next time we play, i can be a little more creative and score few more points. adding cards to the game will definitely make for a better experience. i guess the only thing left to do, is play the game some more cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
banyan wrote:

northrop wrote:
if on the action space there are more animals then I can keep in my pasture, and I can’t cook them yet, what happens to the extras? Do they stay on the action space, or are they placed back in the pile?

They're put back in the pile.

Keep playing!

Just want to make sure you understand this. They only way you can't cook them yet is if you don't have a fireplace or anything to cook them.

If you have a fireplace/cooking hearth etc. You can take animals from the space and cook them directly. You don't need to have space for them first. They go right into the cook pot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
But seriously, there is no reason to take start player just to take the 3 wood. You are wasting an action to get three wood. That wood will become available eventually. In the meantime you can get grain, clay, reed, plow, sow, hire occupations. You don't need the wood to have good use for the sheep.

You do need wood to build wooden rooms, though, and clay is even more rare in the 2P game.

Most improvements also require wood, so you'll probably want some before taking the start player action.

If there's one thing that stands out to me about my 2P Agricola games, it's that they've been wood battles.

And to the OP, I don't think it's over yet! One (1) reed can also become a contested early round action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario J
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks again for the help. while it's hard to practice a multiplayer game playing solo, i think i'm starting to get a hang of it.

Justin, you make a good point about the reed. i've blocked my sister a few times from expending her house by taking the reed spot. i'll learn how to deal with it eventually no one became a grand master over night

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Hellyer
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
I wish I could help but I am completely baffled by the rules. I think the fact that there are 47 pages of rules questions for this game on The Geek is a sign that the rules really suck. It's back on the shelf -- I don't need the aggravation of trying to decipher these rules any more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Schwartz
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
PlayMe1 wrote:
I wish I could help but I am completely baffled by the rules. I think the fact that there are 47 pages of rules questions for this game on The Geek is a sign that the rules really suck. It's back on the shelf -- I don't need the aggravation of trying to decipher these rules any more.

PlayMe1, please see my response here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3121869#3121869

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PlayMe1 wrote:
I think the fact that there are 47 pages of rules questions for this game on The Geek is a sign that the rules really suck.

There are only 10 pages. 6 more than Puerto Rico, the previous #1 rated game. I think the fact that there are only 10 pages when many questions are from before the game was released in English and there are hundreds of possible card interactions is a sign that the game is deserving of the #1 spot: it is complex enough to satisfy experienced gamers while still being able to pull in the newbs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Hellyer
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
I just checked again and yes, there are 47 pages of rules questions. That seems a little excessive, and would indicate to me that there are some serious deficiencies in the rules. Still, I keep reading that 2 year-old toddlers are scoring 25 points in this game, so I may try it again and see if I can figure it out. I've figured out Puerto Rico, Tigris and Euphrates and many other not-too-simple games, so this one should be do-able.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.