Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cross posted from Gamesquad forums...

Well, I was thinking about some of my past ASL games. So, this got me thinking about some of my favorite ASL experiences, I thought, "Why not find out what others' favorite moments are?" Therefore, what are your top 3 moments in ASL? These could be yours, happen to you, etc? Whatever.

Here are mine. My first was from one of my first games (in '91 or so). I don't remember the scenario, but it was Finns vs. Russians. The guy teaching me the game (who was also new) had to get some Victory locations by the end of the game. With fire ranging all around, he created a hero (HOB), got a horse, busted through some enemy, CXing all the way into the last Victory location. (after dismounting of course, it's not a stable. And yes, I know think I know that an SMC can't control a location. We didn't know that at the time.) Anyway, though it's a bit hazy, I remember the euphoria of the experience and thinking, "Man, THIS is the game for me."arrrh

The other two are from two different RB campaigns. The first was watching the Russian's smug face as a huge stack of Russians emerge out of the sewer into my back area turn to a look of horror cry as my Set DC explodes killing the stack (and good leader...heh heh) and rubbling the hex while covering the manhole. Sigh.

The last one was a more recent RB campaign where the Russian and I had been slogging it out for a few days. I reached the second factory line and decided it was time to bring out the Rockets. I got the pre-reg hex and maybe the off board observer and was ready to go. So, I let mine rip and blatted the factory pretty well.

The Russian then lets fly with his OBA. You guessed it. It was rockets too. However, he had forgotten to pre-register his. No problem, right? Well, it turned out that it was a problem as his rockets randomly landed exactly where mine did. It was funny to hear the wails of anguish shake as HIS rockets did more damage (being bigger) and with lower dice rolls 1 1 to his lovely building and the remnants of his force in the spaces. It was great! I think that he had 1 & 2 1/2 squads (broken of course) left in the building when it was all said and done. Sigh...perfection.

Jason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
1) My opponent hits my Sdkfz 221 with a Polish ATR, and scores a critical hit. I give up on that thin-skinned vehicle, until he rolls a 12 to kill. It's a dud! I imagine an ATR round coming straight through the vision slit, bouncing off a lunchbox and landing in the driver's lap.
2) My US 60mm mortar is being run by a paratrooper half squad and a 9-2 leader. They go on a tear, getting ROF 7 straight shots and blowing the crap out of the Germans. Fate gets fed up, and the last shot (still maintaining ROF) generates a sniper who kills the leader, the HS breaks and there isn't another leader within 12 hexes. Ok, that was actually bad for me, but it was cinematically perfect.
3) Last turn, there's still on Russian squad in the factory I need to control, and I'm down to a PzIV and a 2nd line half squad close enough to do anything. I drive the PzIV in through the factory gates, right up to the Russian squad. I don't have enough movement to overrun, but I can at least get close enough for point blank fire. The Russian squad responds with a Molotov, which they fumble and set themselves on fire. The half squad chases them out of the building and I win!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Stai

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It was "On the Borderline", and in those days, SMC could control locations. I remember that game well!

In another game, I had a Polish 37L AT gun that was about to be taken out by a pair of German HS. There were 3 German AFV's in my covered arc, so I drop HIP, fire, and miss. Intensive fire, roll a 10, break the gun. Germans advance, my crew ambushes the half squads, kills them both!

In the rally phase, I fix the gun. In Prep Fire, I kill all 3 AFV's.

Less spectacular, in a playing of "In Sight of the Volga", the Germans can prevent Russian reinforcements by exiting units of the board. During that game I generated a 6+1 leader. By exiting him (with a squad) he canceled entry of a 628 Russian squad.

ASL memories....nothing like 'em!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven richard
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Can ATR's fire duds?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
If it wasn't a dud, 12 was still a failure to kill, even with a CH.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Terhune
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
This is a blatant example of frivolous geek gold spending.
badge
I spent 100 geek gold and all I got was this lousy overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
Two of these are from recent Solitaire games.

Weather is rolled up randomly at the beginning of every solitaire mission. Well, one mission I rolled up Deep Snow with Drifts, and Heavy Winds. The board started out with 12 drifts, and the number grew by 4 per game turn until it was all over. I ran out of actual drift counters about halfway through, and had to substitute parachute counters for the rest of the game.

In the most recent mission, the game started with a stack of my units two hexes away from a halftrack, a leader, and four squads, spread among two hexes. I'm lucky enough to get the first turn, and even more lucky to roll a 3 on my spray fire attack. I leave a broken squad in one hex, and a recalled halftrack in the other. The rest of the game is all downhill.

I was playing the Germans in... Counterattack on the Vistula I believe it was... and I'd driven two of my halftracks loaded with squads and my best leader right up to the 2-hex building on board 4 (one of the three victory locations). The Russian player reveals a squad and leader with an HMG. He breaks one of my squads, which routs away, and I break his squad, which also routs away. The leader picks up the HMG, and by keeping ROF kills everybody except for one squad. That one squad advances into CC, where the leader manages to roll snake eyes to reduce them to a half squad before finally dying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ian morris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Mids
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Wow, there are so many :-

1. Cold Crocodiles - my HIP HMG went on a ROF-fest against approaching British stacks in the buildings - we counted something like 17 separate shots over the DF/PF Phases. At the end of it, two broken half-squads remained, and my friend conceded.

2. Hill 621 - my reinforcing Panzer IVs went on the rampage through his infantry. Massed Overruns - nothing finer !

3. The Pinnacle - My friend's glee as I ran my Sherman over his A-T Set DC turned to horror as the accursed thing failed to explode !

So many others - the super-squadski that wouldn't die, the perfect ambush, the HMG ROF-fest on the beach that killed everyone...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first game against a live opponent - at a tournament no less. Turn one, I manage to break the MA on most of my tanks. Turn two, most of those are brewed up, by turn three I have no operable vehicles. I win the scenario (and round) because neither of us read the VCs. Oh, also, I only got yelled at by one person for making tank and gun noises - mostly because within five minutes of that act of defiance against the odds, everybody else in the room was also making them.

My second game against a live opponent - I got scolded by my opponent for not knowing the rules better. During that miserable experience, five different people requested to play a game with me and I spent the next couple of days playing. Really showed that there was a community, at its best, and that it was better than the worst.

At another tournament several years ago. I managed to roll boxcars four times in a row while making Morale Checks. Twice. Makes me feel better about not getting to play since!

Interestingly, I got bitten by the bug to play again just yesterday. Waaay too many good memories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. A Jakostka scenario with Finns. Finns are storming through the town, untouchable. Russian OBA fires, missing the Finns, but hits an adjacent building. My friend calls it, he will rubble the building, and it will fall on the Finns, destroying them all. Needed a double 6. As he has called it, so it becomes.

2. Berlin Red Vengeance. I knew a dug in Panther would be over the bridge, and bring up JS III Pike. Panther fires, hits, gets rate and consults the To Kill chart.. 23 to kill.. eyes travel to counter.. 26 armour... Panther rolls to hit again, looking for CH. Not often a Panther needs a CH.

3. Also Berlin Red Vengeance. Platoon of T-70s precede the infantry assault, mainly intending to create some burning cover on the bridge. The Germans refuse to fire, forseeing my plan. T-70 goes round the back of the King Tiger, loads AP, and puts a CH right up the klakker. Burning King Tiger.. T-70 crew is a Hero of the Soviet Union.

also most spooky moment, Berlin Red Vengeance. There is a Hitler counter, that has no actual purpose, but they put him on to join the fighting. He runs over the the 88 FlaK gun to help load. They announce he is loading the gun..boom, CH. Russian observation plane is in the air. 88 take a Heavy AA shot, again Hitler loads.. snake eyes takes down the Observation plane.. kind of creepy..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gamer72 wrote:

So many others - the super-squadski that wouldn't die, the perfect ambush, the HMG ROF-fest on the beach that killed everyone...

So, go with another set!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tallguy2241 wrote:
It was "On the Borderline", and in those days, SMC could control locations. I remember that game well!

As you can tell, Rob was my opponent. I was just giving the benefit of the doubt for us potentially getting it wrong. Rather than having somebody come back and say "You can't take a VC with an SMC..." It was an OK scenario, but an awesome playing experience. My favorite of all times though, is the one with the Rumanian elites vs. the Partisans in the tunnels outside of Odessa. I think we played that one three times...and you never won.blushcoolninja

Quote:
ASL memories....nothing like 'em!

Yep. Rob, you still playing? I'm just getting back into it. My second game will be Strayer's Stryas again tonight. Just played it last week, but we're switching sides this time. I'll write it up tomorrow and post it here.

OK, back to the thread.

I remember a great convention game. It was one of my best experiences with ASL. I played it at a gaming con in LA in the early 90's (say 1992 or 93). I don't remember the name of the scenario or the CON. Maybe the one a LAX?

Anyway, it was a glider scenario. You got 5 gliders and had to land them on 1/2 of one board. You don't know what the opponent has or his start up locations, but you basically had to take some buildings. It was great because I had never done gliders before. They gave us 30 minutes or so to familiarize ourselves with the rules. Then we started the scenario.

After setting up where the gliders came up, the rest of the scenario was revealed. The battle took place in the Channel Islands and BOTH sides were coming in by glider at the same time! It was weird starting out the scenario in close combat as the gliders landed and disgorged their occupants. (There was only 5 good landing spots on the board and we each had 5 gliders to land). I only had 4 land, since I picked a "wrong spot" to land and my fifth glider was destroyed...gulp So, I ended up one short. However, even with this there was a lot of fun stuff in the scenario. It would be hard to recreate though since neither side can know exactly what's happening but, man, that was a good scenario.

AWESOME.
Jason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Ashworth
United Kingdom
Todmorden
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Watching has the 37th Guards artillery dragged a 150mm howitzer one hex at a time because they hadn't moved any transport up with it and then watching has the rest of the regiment retreated past them.

2) One squad of the 117th infantry running the gauntlet of two MMG's during a ROF-fest charging a JS2 with a demo charge and blowing the turret off with a well aimed throw and then once again running through the MMG fire to make it back into the fighting - class.

3) watching the Armour Leader in Tigers in The Snow breaking the main gun in one Tiger getting out and then breaking the main gun in the second Tiger that has got to be the shortest game I have ever played I think it lasted all of 2 turns

Plus the usual of detracting from the objectives and fighting over buildings that don't matter in the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Flint
msg tools
Many memorable ones but here are three:

1. Playing Germans defending a 3 story stone single-hex building against a large Russian force. The building had eventually got stacked with the remains of my force: 3 officers (inc 9-2), HMG and 2 x MMG and 3 1/2 squads, happily seeing off the Russian advance. All he had left was a puny mortar.... double-1 CH followed by double-1 on the IFT and the creation of 3 floors of rubble finished the game in his favour. Is nowhere safe from stacking?

2. Playing Japanese in Jungle vs Ghurkas. A long hard battle had ensued. A lot of broken Ghurkas were surrounded and I had killed all their officers. Now time to close in for the kill. On the self rally he rolled double-1 and created an officer, quickly rallied the Ghurkas and killed my fragmented Japanese squads and half-squads which had surrounded him.

3. Russian human wave against my fortified German occupied building. He only found it was fortified when the wave washed up against it. The Germans won that game quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Drake
United States
Slidell
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

1-in pic above,Berlin DYO solo play. Russian 10-2 SMC with 4-5-8 DC-toting squad goes into CC vs Pinned 4-3-6 Volksturm squad (why waste the DC on Pinned Conscript,right?) The Russian DR is a 9 on the 1-1 odds table (Final DR of 7,no effect.) The German Final DR at 1-4 odds is 2 to wipe out the Russians,ELIM the DC,and get an 8-0 Leader! Best CC ever in all my years of SL/ASL combined.

2-Audie Murphy scenario and I am the Americans against my buddy as the Germans. He sends in his three Mk IV's with Infantry riders first;one gets Immob.by 150+ Arty FFE and Breaks its Rider,second one gets knocked out by bazooka and Rider Breaks on Bail Out,and third one turns its turret to line up my MMG squad and its Riders Break on Bail Out.
Next he sends in his three Panthers loaded with Riders;first one is Brewed Up by my M10 on a flank shot (and kept ROF) and Riders do not survive,second Panther moves up to Point Blank range and my M10 hits it with a CH and it Burns. My buddy conceded right there in middle of turn 1.

3-Valor of the Guards The First Bid at Heat of Battle con some years back. John Brown and I are the Russians and our friend is the Germans. In the course of 5 turns we managed to get the reserves released on turn 3 (needed to roll < turn number to get em,in this case a 2 DR),shot down one of his Stukas and Damaged another one,had a T-34 move up behind one of our Roadblocks,Stop, and use Bounding Fire to score a CH on one of his flak wagons then Start up and reverse out of LOS,and finally the nail in the coffin:our friend brings up his kill stack of 10-3 and three 8-3-8's with DC+FT to try and blow thru the lone Russian 4-2-6 that is the weak link in our line. DFF is ineffective on this kill stack so we reveal our last HIP Gun,a 76 INF piece in Debris in the street which has to turn its CA to fire. John Brown rolls for TH at range of 12 hexes,misses but gets ROF and Acquisition. He hands me the dice and I roll a CH on his kill stack--game conceded by Germans after that shot.

HONORABLE MENTIONS:

1--Rostov Redemption scenario couple months ago: The NKVD unit manning the HMG passed 11 Morale Checks without Breaking! Every MC was passed on the 12FP table,and they did Pin 3 times but stayed in the fight,firing first from 21AA2 2nd Level,them Assault Move to 21Z2 2nd Level. This MG team also KIA two German hs and Broke two full squads,keeping the entire German left flank around 20C7 stalled for almost the entire scenario. Yes ,Comrades,we must tell their story,for they have earned the title Heroes of the Soviet Union!

2--Beyond the Pakfronts scenario and I am the Russians--set up my AT gun HIP in an Orchard hex facing backwards and let the German armor roll past me and managed to stay HIP. In DFF I knock out four German AFV's from the rear and in following PF I knock out three more--love ROF streaks!

3--solo play of Verdict at Nuremburg scenario Golden Pheasants featuring the German Gauleiter (whom acts as a Commissar) directing the fire of a German HMG/Crew from a 2nd Level Stone building--took the Americans getting an entire platoon into CC with them and killing them to secure US victory (the entire platoon consisting of three 6FP squads,two Leaders,and a Hero.) This Gauleiter gave the Americans fits directing that MG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I bought Paratroopers, Beyond Valor and the rules way back around 1985 but had a lot of trouble getting anywhere with it. Then about 5 years later I scored an email game of Fighting Withdrawal on the old GEnie network using the old ASL GAP software to give me a hand. This was an email game before VASL, using my physical board and components. I lost but it went down to the last moves of the last turn. So much fun. Great first real game.

2. Finally getting the hang of SASL. A fellow named TopT on the GameSquad forums left a bunch of VASL logs for some of his solitaire plays for people to go through and finally it all made sense. Had a great time with that module for a few years, including some great plays of Red Barricades and Valor Of The Guards CGs.

3. Recently (last year) I started fooling around with a card driven solitaire system for SK1 and started dabbling with using it in Beyond Valor Scenarios and the Decision at Elst CG. Worked really well and had and am still having a blast with it. I'm still riding this "solo bot" high and am having a ball playing a turn whenever I have a few minutes to spare during the day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Owsen
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. After reading the rule book a few times, finally playing my first game ever at a convention: One-Log Bridge, a PTO scenario! The scenario did have en epic one-man stand on the bridge and went to an epic conclusion. Not only was I hooked on ASL, but also on the best theater: PTO.

2. Playing one of my favorite scenarios, Under the Noel Trees. Visualizing the bazooka teams hunting German tanks and the Hellcats hiding in the treeline, hoping to get a good shot on the Panzers. A great scenarios.

3. Many Red Barricades scenarios. The CG is fine and all, but each of the scenarios that I've player are little gems that are perfect little snapshots of fighting in a ruined city, with just a few men against a similar force.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hong Kong Wargamer
msg tools
badge
http://www.hongkongwargamer.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going to cheat as I have a few more than 3 (and these are my first "best experiences" .. there are a HELL LOT MORE")

* When I first bought the ASLRB and was trying to move beyond the first page, I contacted a local ASL meet and asked if I can go and watch a game. When I got there - one of the chap went "There are no spectators here - here, you command this Panzer" and pushed a 5/8 counter towards me. They talked me thru every step of the way. I was completely hooked after a game!

* Two chaps on GameSquad, upon realising that I was new, conspired to send me, completely out of the blue, a used Hollow Legions and HOB Long March - for free!!

* Another chap emailed me, again completely unsolicited, asking if I want to learn ASL and if so, he can teach and let's start a game. What a great teacher he is! Our first scenario was RPT1 Franc Jozef's Barracks

* Rented a bunk bed in Singapore and attended "Mayhem in Manila". My family (apart from my wife) and friends all thought flying somewhere "just to play boardgames" is crazy. But man, the friends that I met ..

* Dropped in on the Albany ASL tournament a few years ago around Christmas time and feeling immediately at home with all the wonderful chaps I met.

AND THE LIST GOES ON AND ON AND ON

This game is about people. Rgds Jack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Weiley
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing the scenario Valhalla Bound as the Germans many years ago against a good friend and long time opponent. I carefully calculated a position for the HIP armoured car with the 75L - I had it facing back toward my lines with the intention that it would let the Soviet armour drive past and then ideally have two fire phases to wreak havoc.

For once my plan unfolded perfectly and come the the German defensive fire phase I was presented with 3-4 Soviet AFVs all presenting their rear covered arc to my armoured car. I placed the unit on the map, picked up my dice and uttered the now immortal words "This would be a helluva time to roll boxcars".

You can guess the rest.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.