United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a personal basic paypal account, had it for 54 weeks, and had only one transaction, someone sent me $30 (geek gold auction).

Well today I'm trying to use some of it and it tells me the transaction would exceed my spending limit... which apparently is $0! It will only lift the limit it says if I link it to my bank account!

Update: if I click a different link you can also give them a credit card to add to your account.

But I really just wanted this paypal account to receive and send a couple transactions a year, just moving paypal funds around, no credit cards. They don't require you to give them your bank/credit info to receive funds... you shouldn't have to do so to spend the same funds. Had I known I may have just had the sender send me a check (deducting for the cost of a stamp and envelope) and avoid the hassle.

Yea, I know, most folks don't care, and it is minor, but just a small warning if anyone planned to create/use a paypal account for the same purpose and didn't think they had to give such info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you do decide to tie paypal to your bank account, I suggest doing it to a secondary bank account that you don't keep much in.

I reccomend following this route, that way if someone gets ahold of your paypal they can't steal that much from your bank account. As well, if you do more than an occasional transfer it gives you flexability if you want to not use the credit card (for instance, if the recipiant has a personal paypal account and the sender sends from a bank account, the recipiant doesn't get charged paypal fees).

I follow that route myself.

There are some points to be aware of when using paypal. First, if you use ebay and paypal, ebay bought up paypal, so they can get you coming and going.
Second, there are horror stories about paypal you can read out there on the internet, especially involving when you use it as a main business conduit and tie it to a main bank account, and especially when you use a debit card on that account. For instance, if someone defrauded through paypal with a large sum of money leaving not enough when someone uses the debit card on thier bank account to pay bills.

Anyway, just my 2 cents, and its more of a general 2 cents, based on my experiance and observation, and is not nessasarily specific to your situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yargo wrote:
Second, there are horror stories about paypal you can read out there on the internet...

PayPal Sucks is one such source.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Thomas
United States
Langhorne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"I will take love wherever I find it, and offer it to everyone who will take it. Seek knowledge from those wiser, and teach those who wish to learn." -Duane Allman
mbmbmbmbmb
If you use Paypal a lot I highly recommend getting a Security Key. It makes it almost impossible for someone to get access to your account. It's only $5 and well worth it for the peace of mind. It also works with Ebay.

Not sure if it works with all countries or if it's just US specific.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mal Content
United States
Caln Township
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am very mistrustful of PayPal and so will not open an account (and thereby give them access to my bank or credit cards). When I purchase something off Ebay (which owns PayPal), I first make certain that the seller will accept a USPS money order for payment. Ebay has put many sellers under the impression, through apparently purposefully vague directives, that sellers can only accept PayPal and no other forms of payment. Sellers are, in fact, permitted to accept alternate methods of payment -- but only if the buyer initiates the request to pay by some medium other than PayPal (see this link: http://workshops.ebay.com/thread.jspa?threadID=130000666&tst...).

Tricksy Hobbits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boards & Bits
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been using PayPal for over 10 years now and have had 0 problems that have not been resolved to my satisfaction.

For 5 years PayPal has been my exclusive credit card processor and I have had no unresolved problems.

For the number of transactions PayPal handles, I feel they are very secure and have been a great asset for my business, and for me personally.

IMO the good stories outweigh the bad by at least 100,000:1.

Tom
Boards & Bits
www.boardsandbits.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gilberg
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hugh_G_Rection wrote:
Yargo wrote:
Second, there are horror stories about paypal you can read out there on the internet...

PayPal Sucks is one such source.

Which is full of people that don't know what a merchant account is and are completely oblivious to how credit card processing works in general.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stetler
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yargo wrote:
If you do decide to tie paypal to your bank account, I suggest doing it to a secondary bank account that you don't keep much in.

Agreed. I don't make my living, or any major part of it, on eBay. The idea of tying an account I use for making trinket purchases on an internet flea market with the bank account that funds my living expenses, all on the trust of a company that has already had security breaches, is the height of absurd. When the time comes that I may have to validate my PayPal account (last time they pushed my limits up and I didn't have to), a secondary account will be the route I take.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Oliver
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Yargo wrote:
First, if you use ebay and paypal, ebay bought up paypal, so they can get you coming and going.

Translation: you pay a fee for the auction sale to eBay and another fee to PayPal when the money changes hands. However, this was true even when eBay didn't own PayPal; eBay owning PayPal didn't change this.

That said, eBay requiring you to offer PayPal as one of the forms of payment since the buyout was a dick move on their part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
MusicToEat wrote:
If you use Paypal a lot I highly recommend getting a Security Key.

+1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
just a small warning if anyone planned to create/use a paypal account for the same purpose and didn't think they had to give such info.

It's all spelled out in their terms and conditions. It's unfair to make it sound as if they are doing something deceitful just because you didn't read them thoroughly when you opened your account. And if they change their terms and conditions, they notify you so you can review them. If you don't like the changes, you cancel the account.

I've been using Paypal for many years and have never had a problem with them. On several occasions, they've helped recover funds from sellers who never sent product or sent wrong or defective products.

Are they perfect? No... but I would MUCH rather trust my credit card/bank information to one company than hundreds of little companies/individuals every time I buy at $5 item on Ebay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bushi 96
United States
Coburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrorwell wrote:
JeffyJeff wrote:
just a small warning if anyone planned to create/use a paypal account for the same purpose and didn't think they had to give such info.

I've been using Paypal for many years and have never had a problem with them. On several occasions, they've helped recover funds from sellers who never sent product or sent wrong or defective products.

What timing. I've been using PayPal for years also. Never had a problem with any sellers until this Christmas. An Internet company sent me broken ceramic pieces. They promised replacements and then never delivered (taking me outside of any 30 day return protection). When I disputed the purchase with PayPal they quickly told me they only protect buyers when purchasing from eBay. All other deals are off. Might as well use my credit card from now on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
You can certainly use your credit card to fund PayPal purchases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
7 years after signing up for Paypal, I've never had an issue with them having my bank account info. It's been safe and secure, and the processing time (2-3 days) allows me to contest any charges before it hits my bank.

The only problem I've had with Paypal is filing complaints. Their 60-day policy to file a complaint (back when I had problems, it was 30-days) is to the second of the transaction, not until the end of the business day. I've since learned that lesson, at a slight cost to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
J.L.Robert wrote:
The only problem I've had with Paypal is filing complaints. Their 60-day policy to file a complaint (back when I had problems, it was 30-days) is to the second of the transaction, not until the end of the business day. I've since learned that lesson, at a slight cost to me.

BtB that's not PayPal's rule, that's the rule of the payment systems PayPal uses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
mrorwell wrote:
JeffyJeff wrote:

It's all spelled out in their terms and conditions. It's unfair to make it sound as if they are doing something deceitful just because you didn't read them thoroughly when you opened your account. And if they change their terms and conditions, they notify you so you can review them. If you don't like the changes, you cancel the account.

That was good for a laugh... glad you have time to read all the fine print.

In any case, please reread the base post before you start flaming, I clearly labeled this as a "warning" because unless you are one of those less than 1% of folks who take the time to read the fine print on everything you will end up being surprised like I was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
JeffyJeff wrote:

I am aghast. I do not understand how people can go forward with reading the fine print. These are contract we're talking about people, contracts you are aggreeing to. Are you really going to agree to a contract, a binding contract, without understanding what you're getting yourself into?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:

You're right. That is kind of funny... You'll (hopefully) take the time to read through long and convoluted rules to play a game, but you won't read through the "fine print" before you give someone access to your money?

JeffyJeff wrote:
In any case, please reread the base post before you start flaming,

Flaming? C'mon guy.... All I did was point out that you didn't read the terms. That's your own fault. You "warned" people about Paypal like they did something deceitful. They didn't. They followed the rules of the game.

Are you going to start "warning" people about players who beat you because they read and understood the rules of a game and you didn't? "Mommy! I lost because I didn't read the rules and I didn't know that I could substitute an engine for another color for ferries in TTR:Nordic!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It wasn't a rock
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardsAndBits wrote:
I have been using PayPal for over 10 years now and have had 0 problems that have not been resolved to my satisfaction.

"...so obviously no one ever has a problem with them. And no one could ever possibly have a legitimate reason to be wary of PayPal, because I have never had a problem."

Climate and weather are not the same thing...

*sigh*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It wasn't a rock
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
You can certainly use your credit card to fund PayPal purchases.

You can. But be careful: If your PayPal account has a bank account attached to it, they will sometimes draw the payment from it anyway, regardless of the payment method you specify.

[I suspect -- but have no proof -- that if their credit card authorizing system is down, PayPal will automatically just use whatever fall-back is available. And won't tell you it has done so.]

Yes, this has happened to me. Yes, my transaction 'receipt' showed I specified "credit card." No, PayPal didn't care.

Make sure you either have funds enough available in the bank account or that you can make a quick deposit to avoid an overdraft charge. PayPal does not care and will not help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Maxwell
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bah, use www.paysimple.com. Much better.

Who me, work for PaySimple? I don't know what you're talking about

Seriously though, I'm not enamored with PayPal, but I also haven't had any issues with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It wasn't a rock
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MusicToEat wrote:
If you use Paypal a lot I highly recommend getting a Security Key. It makes it almost impossible for someone to get access to your account. It's only $5 and well worth it for the peace of mind. It also works with Ebay.

Last I checked, there was no way to require the key's use to get access to an account.

All you (or anyone) has to do is click the little link saying "I don't have my Security Key" (or whatever) and the system reverts to the usual "Login/Password/Security Question" format that can be broken in all the usual, well-known ways.

Has this changed? If it has, that's great! Otherwise, the Security Key adds exactly nothing to the protection of your account.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RockLobster wrote:
BoardsAndBits wrote:

"...so obviously no one ever has a problem with them. And no one could ever possibly have a legitimate reason to be wary of PayPal, because I have never had a problem."

Climate and weather are not the same thing...

*sigh*

I'm curious... how does this differ from the OP? The OP had a problem, BoardsAndBits had a compliment. Both are valid expressions of their opinion of Paypal, so why single out the compliment? Or are people only allowed to bitch about Paypal?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bushi96 wrote:
When I disputed the purchase with PayPal they quickly told me they only protect buyers when purchasing from eBay. All other deals are off. Might as well use my credit card from now on.

Like I said... it isn't perfect. But I still don't think it's a good idea to start handing out your credit card number to every website you use. They may be legitimate... or they may be a front to collect your information. Even if they aren't, most small companies can't commit the same level of resources to protecting their networks from hackers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It wasn't a rock
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrorwell wrote:
RockLobster wrote:
BoardsAndBits wrote:

I'm curious... how does this differ from the OP? The OP had a problem, BoardsAndBits had a compliment. Both are valid expressions of their opinion of Paypal, so why single out the compliment?

The OP posted that he'd had a problem and wanted to warn others. To this B&B responded, "Well I've never had a problem, and millions and millions, if not ho-jillions, of other people you never hear from also never have problems" -- the implication being: "...therefore your experience is clearly meaningless and invalid."

This was hardly a simple compliment, equal and opposite to the OP's point-of-view.

When someone eats peanut butter and goes to the hospital with salmonella poisoning, is your first instinct to immediately point out that you've eaten peanut butter hundreds of times and never had a problem? What purpose could it serve but to imply that the guy in the hospital is somehow an idiot and to gold-plate your own sense of self-importance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.