Subject: Prognostics Poll rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zack Stackurski
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I love almost all games, play Boardgames with my wife, have three kids, generally enjoy cats and understand and like those bumper stickers with the little fishies sprouting legs.
badge
This happy cat is excited about new board games!
mbmbmbmbmb
We always take a vote in our group before playing to see whether or not we should look ahead at the adventure cards. So far, I've not been part of a group that chose to use the prognostics department... I'm curious how most people are using this rule in their groups:

Poll
Prognostics poll
1. How does your group use the prognostics rule? (ie: looking at adventure cards in advance)
We don't let anybody look at the cards while building.
We play by the standard rules (three piles to look at, one hidden).
We like to know what's coming sp much we look at all the cards.
2. How do you make use of prognostics while you play?
I never look at the cards... I use all my time for ship building!
I look at the cards if I feel I have the time.
I make sure to look at at least some of the cards.
I always look at all of the cards as soon as I can to build the best ship.
      62 answers
Poll created by ZackStack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZackStack wrote:
We always take a vote in our group before playing to see whether or not we should look ahead at the adventure cards.

Do you also vote on whether to use weapons when fighting the enemies?

What are you trying to accomplish by changing the rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find ignoring the "look ahead" rule is good when playing with newbies because chances are experienced players can use the information better than newbies can, and that they'll have more time to look ahead because they are more efficient shipbuilders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Stackurski
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I love almost all games, play Boardgames with my wife, have three kids, generally enjoy cats and understand and like those bumper stickers with the little fishies sprouting legs.
badge
This happy cat is excited about new board games!
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:

What are you trying to accomplish by changing the rules?

I guess we hadn't really considered it very strange. One of the variants in the rules lets you look at all the cards so not looking at any seemed like another logical variant.

Mostly we just like being more suprised and damaged during the adventure phase (it adds tension to be so much more unsure of what the next card might be). I've read that this part can really drag for some people, but we havn't found that in our sessions.

But partly we've found that without knowing what is coming your ship design and flight order become more gamble than strategy. When everyone knows what is coming certain tiles become more valuable and sought in the building phase (ie: cargo when there are lots of planets, guns for lots of enemies, ect). I find the building phase more fun and tense making an "all comers" ship instead of knowing cannons pointed right and shields left are required. I like building gun boats. My buddy likes building cargo scows. My ships do better when there are lots of enemies. His do better when there are lots of planets. So I guess we're really just adding another layer of luck to the game... but we've also avoided the dreaded "more experiance = less fun" learning curve of the game (so far...)

Thanks for the question... its good to really think about why we do what we do one in a while
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Harris
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We also don't look. We didn't make a rule that you CAN'T look, we just never choose to I guess. Sometimes we even forget to deal out the piles until after we have all built, or the first person done will deal them out while waiting for others to finish.

It just seems odd to "know what's up ahead". I mean, if they can see the future, and KNOW pirates and slavers are going to be there....then take a different route! or call in the space cops to set up a sting operation or something....it just seems like a lot more fun and fitting to "boldly go where no man has gone before....and haul some cargo there."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Niezelski
United States
Seymour
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not looking at the cards would take away a huge chunk of the game's strategy. It gives you a reason to tailor your ship, rather than making the same all-around build every time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Harris
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But for us, looking takes away some of the FUN. And I'll trade a teaspoon of fun for a gallon of strategy ANY time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.