Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Hall
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I've missed a post about this, please point me in the right direction. I understand how to assign and deploy pyro; however, my question is this: 4.3.6 Pyrotechnics says:
Quote:
All units with a clear LOS to the signal will perform or attempt to perform the particular action when seeing the device.

Is this an arbitrary action? Does it cost command points to execute?

Here's my example:

2nd squad is ordered from the staging area into PC marker, it is now out of contact with PHQ. The marker reveals "mines!" and the unit takes a CL hit (and is now a casualty, litter team and fire team). Not wanting to risk the PHQ for the now pinned LAT(s), I deploy purple smoke which I assigned earlier to "fall back one card".

How do I bring them back? The casualty stays, it can't move. The litter team and the fire team however CAN move back toward the staging area. Do I need to spend command from PHQ, is it general initiative impulse? How does this work?

Additionally, if the smoke is deployed and say another platoon could see it, would they also move back?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Gray
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Jon.

Quote:
Is this an arbitrary action? Does it cost command points to execute?

It'll cost a Command to fire off the pyro. Either the HQ carrying it commands itself to fire it (if an HQ is carrying it), or an HQ commands one of it's subordinates who is carrying it to fire it. Or, the unit carrying it, HQ or not, could use an initiative to fire it.

Quote:
How do I bring them back? The casualty stays, it can't move. The litter team and the fire team however CAN move back toward the staging area. Do I need to spend command from PHQ, is it general initiative impulse? How does this work?

The casualty can only come back if it is transported, which means that somehow a unit will need to be ordered to bring them back, whether using initiative or risking moving an HQ into the mines, etc. (or you can leave them there, you awful person). ALL of the units that can legally obey and have LOS to the pyro will follow the prearranged order when the see the signal.

Hope that helps,
Ricky

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Hall
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Other than the 1 command to launch the device, Units that can follow the order will do so ... immediately (and require no other command points)?

Am I understanding that right?

EDIT: also, I've been following a lot of your posts. Thanks a ton for the help. This is a really cool game - I really want to get to a point where I can enjoy it. The narrative is terrific!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Gray
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Other than the 1 command to launch the device, Units that can follow the order will do so ... immediately (and require no other command points)?

Am I understanding that right?

You've got it, Jon. The pyro is tied to a prearranged signal in order to save commands when/if the time comes where that particular order is needed. I like to tie 'emergency' orders to my pyros, just in case (move back one card, cease fire, etc.)

Quote:
Thanks a ton for the help. This is a really cool game - I really want to get to a point where I can enjoy it. The narrative is terrific!

No problem at all, Jon. It's why I'm here. It is a wonderfully rich game.

Best,
Ricky

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Hall
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much!

cheers and aloha,
Jon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
DFW
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As mentioned earlier, you may want to spend a general initiative command to have one of the units on that card pick up the casualty, and then have the PLT HQ pop the smoke.

Be aware also that smoke has limited visibility, but the red/green star clusters/parachutes can be seen by the entire area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Fuller
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you single out a single platoon with a pyrotechnic command, such as "2nd Unit Cease Fire".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
DFW
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jfuller wrote:
Can you single out a single platoon with a pyrotechnic command, such as "2nd Unit Cease Fire".

I believe you can - useful if a pryo is given to a PLT HQ to tell his platoon to fall back one card, cease fire, etc.

Although I have regrettably not played this game near as much as I'd have liked (work has been murder lately) I started giving smoke to my PLT HQs and the more visible pyros (parachutes and clusters) to my higher command units (i.e. CO HQ, XO, and 1st SGT).

Usually, my PLT HQ isn't far away from the rest of his platoon, and the smoke should usually be visible to his platoon - assuming that his platoon isn't spread out further than one card away from the PLT HQ. I also tended to set regular smoke to "cease fire" but giving a colored smoke signal to move back one card (i.e. - an emergency).

This lets me save the less numerous, but more visible pyros (the parachutes and clusters) for much more urgent matters - like a general cease fire or fall back, or even seek or move to cover. Generally, my higher ranked commanders are not in the front lines and will often have a much better chance of being activated or having the command to fire a flare up into the sky. The PLT HQ's, however, being typically more exposed to enemy fire, typically have less commands to expend and are trying to use those commands on their platoon.

But your mileage will vary - I'm still experimenting with the different signals myself.

So to circle back around to your question, yes, you could, for example, set "yellow smoke" to mean "1st PLT move back one card" and then give the yellow smoke to the 1st PLT HQ.

Just keep in mind that the units seeing the pyro will obey it - and I think that applies regardless of which commanding unit signals it.

(As a side note, I wonder if this could make for an interesting possibility of having a PLT HQ issue a command like "cease fire" and having units "belonging" to a higher ranked HQ (like 1st SGT or XO) obey? Now that I think about it, this could be a useful way for a commander outside of the normal command structure to issue orders to units not under him...)

Hope that helps...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Fuller
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If Pyrotechnics are keyed to a platoon, when a unit degenerates into an LAT, would you just have to keep track of which platoon they came from or would the LAT just not be responsive to the Pyro?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Gray
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If Pyrotechnics are keyed to a platoon, when a unit degenerates into an LAT, would you just have to keep track of which platoon they came from or would the LAT just not be responsive to the Pyro?

Hi, Steven. The LAT is no longer considered part of any PLT for game purposes, thus he would ignore a pyro order that is tied to a particular platoon. However, if there are pyros tied to the whole force, and he is legally able to perform that action (whatever it is), then he'll do that if in LOS of the pyro.

Best,
Ricky

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Fuller
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
DFW
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes - LATs (or even regular units) still have to legally follow the command. So even if a squad with an Exposed marker on it "saw" a pyro keyed to an action to "move back one card", the unit wouldn't be able to follow it because it has an Exposed marker on it (i.e. it just moved).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.