Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd Arney
United States
Grand Rapids
MICHIGAN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I the only one who thinks FoF fans would be served well by a Vassal Module.

I solo other GMT games that also include their trademark massive pile of counters and I actually prefer playing the games on screen rather than from my physical box.

Anyone else feel this way?

PS - the online capability of Vassal could create some interesting collaborative scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the scrub
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure a VASSAL module is in the works. Caught the news on CSW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Cooley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Me rocking out with my band, which you can hear at www.raindriver.com
mbmbmbmbmb
There actually *is* a VASSAL module floating around out there with preproduction art. The author (not the game designer) was finishing up a different module, and reported that he intended to get to the production art and get the FoF module up next, but I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't see it until mid-February at the soonest. There is a lot of art to swap out (all of those cards, for one), and I'd imagine it would be a huge amount of work.

There is also a much more extensive official example of play being worked on, as well as several end-user attempts to rewrite the rules and get information out to people who want to play but find themselves stymied by the ruleset. I myself plan to do a series of short videos using VASSAL to demonstrate the game play in real time, so I'm anxiously awaiting the VASSAL module as well.

In the meantime, give it a go. I strongly recommend that you use counter trays or Plano boxes to store the markers - it makes it a lot easier to play the game when all of the LATs, VoFs, etc, are all right at hand without a lot of sorting and stacking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also have no high hopes of the game being as playable on-screen as with the real cards, especially on my small screen. However with the playing time of each mission I almost never have a chance to play it now. I usually need 2-3 nights to complete a mission (running between that and other things to take care of), but then there is always the risk of failing and having to re-attempt the mission which will add a few more nights to that. I can't keep the cats out of the gaming room forever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Semensi
United States
Gloucester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Count me among those wishing for a Vassal module. I love the tactile feel of the game but it takes me more than one night to finish a mission and I just don't have the space to leave it set up for that long. The footprint of the game gets pretty big too when you've got pieces and charts laid out. Also I was just on a business trip and longed to have it on my laptop while sitting at the airport and in the hotel. I'd probably pack the rules (when they're improved) and the action deck. For now I'm putting this one away until the new rulebook and examples of play are out. There is a great game here just waiting for a good rulebook. Until then I'm going to revisit 'Patton's Best' using Vassal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.