Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rodney Arndt
United States
Elma
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it allowed to move sideways before moving forwards? Say for instance I'm on the inside line and their are two cycles in front of me, one on the inside line and one in the middle.

Am I allowed to move two spaces sideways (to the outside) and then continue forward with the rest of my roll in the outside line? Or is this considered a blocked position because sideways movement (without moving forward) is not allowed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Palmer
United States
Birmingham
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to figure out how you'd ever get into this situation. Wouldn't the two bikes in front of you move first, so that you'd NEVER be moving with two bikes directly in front of you?

I do seem to remember that if you have to get out of your line (in a corner) to pass, that you have to pay the corner cost to pass in addition to any movement points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patroclus
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Racinrod wrote:
Is it allowed to move sideways before moving forwards? Say for instance I'm on the inside line and their are two cycles in front of me, one on the inside line and one in the middle.

Am I allowed to move two spaces sideways (to the outside) and then continue forward with the rest of my roll in the outside line? Or is this considered a blocked position because sideways movement (without moving forward) is not allowed?

I finally got the game last night and I had a look at the rules. FWIR, the basic rules stated you could move forward and "at the same time" move to an adjacent raceline. I interpreted this meant that you could not move to an adjacent lane before moving forward. I guess it would be more of a diagonal move?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like this?

BBO
Y

Y is you, B are 2 other bikes on the racing line and middle lane and O is the open lane.

You want to know if you can move sideways so that you can move into space O right?

If so, then I think so. But you don't have to move sideways. Just move diagonally to space O. But remember, as mentioned above, it costs extra movement points if this is in a corner.

*Edit, Patroclus posted at the same time as me. He is right, you can not move sideways according to the rules. I said "I think so" because you can, but technically it costs nothing to do so and there is no need to do it ever. Just move diagonally paying the appropriate movement points depending on if you are in a corner or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike zebrowski
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Scammer wrote:
I'm trying to figure out how you'd ever get into this situation.

The only way that I could come up with is that your bike is one space behind two bikes that have slipped in a type-3 turn while going uphill and both bikes in front of you rolled double 1's for a movement of zero.

In that case, you would be screwed as there isn't enough space to get to the clear lane and you'll be forced to spend 2 to 6 Front Wheel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Arndt
United States
Elma
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GamerAtom wrote:
Like this?

BBO
Y

Y is you, B are 2 other bikes on the racing line and middle lane and O is the open lane.

You want to know if you can move sideways so that you can move into space O right?

If so, then I think so. But you don't have to move sideways. Just move diagonally to space O. But remember, as mentioned above, it costs extra movement points if this is in a corner.

*Edit, Patroclus posted at the same time as me. He is right, you can not move sideways according to the rules. I said "I think so" because you can, but technically it costs nothing to do so and there is no need to do it ever. Just move diagonally paying the appropriate movement points depending on if you are in a corner or not.

So the rules allow me to jump from the inside line to the outside line skipping the middle line all for 1 movement point as long as I'm moving forward diagonally? Hmm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Racinrod wrote:
GamerAtom wrote:
Like this?

BBO
Y

So the rules allow me to jump from the inside line to the outside line skipping the middle line all for 1 movement point as long as I'm moving forward diagonally? Hmm.

Yes. Look at the diagram at the bottom of page 5. This is 'almost' like what you describe except that the 2 bikes are 2 positions in front of you to start.

In that diagram, the player rolled a 5 and moved 5 positions forward not paying any extra (because he is on a straight) to change lanes into the only clear lane available to make the pass and then back to to racing line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike zebrowski
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Racinrod wrote:

No, they do not.

Page 7, Column 2, Step 3 (emphasis added):

Quote:
When you move from one position to another, you can also change lanes, moving into an adjacent lane, always spending only one movement point to do so.

Mike Z

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Arndt
United States
Elma
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So then sideways movement 1 space to the middle lane and then 1 space forward diagonally into the outside lane would be allowed in the example I've given correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It appears as though I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike zebrowski
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Racinrod wrote:
So then sideways movement 1 space to the middle lane and then 1 space forward diagonally into the outside lane would be allowed in the example I've given correct?

No. You can not move sideways! You can move diagonally or straight ahead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
so then, in his situation, he is screwed and has to pay the front tire points to brake? (if he has them) ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike zebrowski
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
GamerAtom wrote:
so then, in his situation, he is screwed and has to pay the front tire points to brake? (if he has them) ?

Yes, he is screwed.

However, as I pointed out earlier, there is only 1 way for the situation to occur. It is such a convoluted situation that I can't imagine it ever occuring in a real game.

Mike Z
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.