Popular Tags: [View All]
Rod McLain
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I get trounced by my wife almost every time we play Thurn & Taxis. She always pulls out a victory unforeseen and unexpected by me. Just when I think it's my time, she steals it away. It is maddening.

When she suggests we play it, I break into a sweat as I feel the familiar pit in my stomach. I feel doomed before we even decides who goes first. It should almost be illegal for her to suggest we play.

Yet, at the same time, the siren calls, and I am irresistibly drawn to it. I cannot say "no" nor do I want to. I am fascinated by my ineptness and her dominance and relish the opportunity to try again. That makes makes this game rate a "!0", right ?!?!?

This game has infuriated me so much I've had to leave the house for an hour just to cool down - but it is also one of our most played games.

Is this normal? Are there games that do this to you?

Am I alone in this experience or are there others who share this gaming co-dependency? If so, what game?

A side note - My first ever victory (one of just a handful) was was marked and celebrated with me ripping off my shirt and taking victory laps around the house. This both frightened my children and appalled my neighbors but the sweet taste of an elusive victory was worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aubrey Miles
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're definitely not alone. I don't even wait until the game is over to fume.

Playing Race for the Galaxy with my boyfriend, I find myself yelling "WHAT!?" on at least one of his plays every match. There have even been a few times where in a fit of anger, I ask for him to prove that he calculated his score correctly.

We just got a copy of Agricola, and it's tense too. This game illicits a more quiet fuming from me. I'll mutter under my breath, "you're going to cook them all... aren't you?" Or, "you just knew I was about to remodel... you knew... you knew..."

I think if I did a victory dance, we probably wouldn't be playing again. Instead, the victor cautiously lifts their head and looks (as indifferently as possible) into the trounced opponent's eyes. The opponent (in their role in this age old dance) refrains from making a comment to the effect that if one move had gone differently, the trouncing would have gone differently, too.

Finally, one of us inevitably says:

"One more game?"

I love my boyfriend. Competition is wonderful, and I love reading about couples like you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RodandShana wrote:
I get trounced by my wife almost every time we play Thurn & Taxis. She always pulls out a victory unforeseen and unexpected by me. Just when I think it's my time, she steals it away. It is maddening.

When she suggests we play it, I break into a sweat as I feel the familiar pit in my stomach. I feel doomed before we even decides who goes first. It should almost be illegal for her to suggest we play.

I think that even though you are losing, you are actually winning! Your wife likes games enough to actually suggest playing. I'd happily get thumped in any game my wife suggested we play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonty
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread is funny, when I play against my wife, sometimes when either one of us makes that one play that screws the other's plans, we give that look with the eyes and a little smile. Nothing is spoken, no outburst of laughter, just a slow motion of playing on that turn, a little smirk and eye contact. The games are usually followed by the popular words...."one more!". It's sooo much fun. LOL :D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patroclus
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far my wife and I had 5 races in the game Formula D. She has won every race in total points and has taken first position in 4 of the 5 races! angry

What is so pathetic is that she has gotten inside my head in the last two races with her taunting! This has caused me to lose by getting emotional, seeing red, and feeling like I have to win at all costs. To win I push my pilots to the point where they end up crashing out or have to slow down to prevent more damage and then they eventually get passed by my wife's pilots (she must have Schumacher and Prost for her pilots!)!

oh well...it is still a lot of fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Runyan
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found that after I started throwing a tantrum every time I lost a game, I began to win more often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kovacs
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife was the same way with Skip-Bo. I could be down to my last card, she could have 30, and I'd still lose (I would just sit there, jaw dropped to my chest, as she got rid of all her cards in one or two runs - amazing!). I once had a car stolen (1988 Mustang GT) with the Skip-Bo deck in it and she used to claim (tongue-in-cheek) that I had my car taken so I didn't have to play that game any more.

I never saw the car again. A new Skip-Bo deck soon appeared, however. She still plays the game a lot with her sisters, but I rarely do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Myself and my wife are competitive against eachother in games and both get frustrated if the game "turns" against us or we reach a point where there is no way back for one of us.
Winning can be a tentative thing but bah gawd I'd rather have such feelings than neither of us particularly caring either way.

I think the problems come when one of the couple gets frustrated and the other doesn't...The unfrustrated one starts to let the frustrated one win for an easy life. When we play we know that possibly we could end up with 10 minutes of one of us being a bit annoyed, but generally only at ourself and not at the other person who of course we still love.... (At least I still love her when she wins)

At the end of the day though, winning or losing doesn't matter in the scheme of things, it's having time and someone to enjoy a game with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donna Silverman
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DancingMoogle wrote:
Playing Race for the Galaxy with my boyfriend, I find myself yelling "WHAT!?" on at least one of his plays every match. There have even been a few times where in a fit of anger, I ask for him to prove that he calculated his score correctly.

Yeah, that sounds about right.

So, my boyfriend and I are both die-hard Race fans. But I think he wins about two out of three games. I am usually a graceful loser. I do not usually react poorly when I do poorly in a game. No one else who has ever played with me has seen me react as I did when Dan won five consecutive games of Race.

I about lost it. I yelled. I cried. I threw a fit. I am utterly ashamed of how I reacted, but after it was all over and done...

He trounced me in three more games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm fond of saying, "I'm going to beat you at Pandemic when we get home!"

For anyone who doesn't play Pandemic, it's a cooperative game, and we both win or lose against the game; I can't BEAT LordDillon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
RodandShana wrote:
I get trounced by my wife almost every time we play Thurn & Taxis.
A side note - My first ever victory (one of just a handful) was was marked and celebrated with me ripping off my shirt and taking victory laps around the house. This both frightened my children and appalled my neighbors but the sweet taste of an elusive victory was worth it.

DancingMoogle wrote:
Playing Race for the Galaxy with my boyfriend,...

I think if I did a victory dance, we probably wouldn't be playing again.

Maybe if you ripped off your shirt and ran around the house like Rod you would get a more favorable reaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aubrey Miles
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Piqsid wrote:

Maybe if you ripped off your shirt and ran around the house like Rod you would get a more favorable reaction.

Wouldn't that be his victory at that point? I'll save that for when neither one of us has been recently PWNZORED in a game.

Because the more I think about it, the more it's true that in my life, you're either the PWNZORED or the PWNZOROR... or something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Morley
United States
Rainier
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't fight the inevitable: just play Lost Cities with your spouse. According to years of geeklore (Not a word? Don't care!) it is the only game that couples play. This Thurn and Taxis nonsense must stop immediately or the Geek-Police will smash all your Euros.

P.S. Maybe if you asked for directions like she told you to you would win more often...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
the difference between a "crowd" and a "mob" is one push
mbmbmbmbmb
Amun-Re

My girlfriend routinely beats just about everyone who comes near this game. I, almost always, come in last. I cannot get my head around it. I like auction games. And economic ones. But there is just something within this one that, usually, escapes me. Of the 40-50 times I've played this, almost all of them with her as one of the opponents, I have won exactly twice.

She also routinely kicks my butt in In the Year of the Dragon. I win at a much more regular clip than in Amun-Re, but it is usually touch-and-go.

On the other hand, I tend to destroy her in Amyitis.

Whichever of us wins, though, gets to do a little victory dance (especially if there is some kind of streak on the line). Then we soothe the other's feelings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Lee
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Good news, Rod...this is a problem you can solve. My game-tested theory (only 1 game) of how to dominate your formiddable opponent:

The key to victory in T&T is early success in the 6-point all-7-color regions! Then fill in the gaps by grabbing second region points where you can. But even if you don't get optimal route cards right away, you have options for maximizing points all over the board. You will only sacrifice points from 1 or 2 regions. This is a game designed for one or more players to get burned when your route cards don't arrive. Read this and delete before Shana can figure out you have gained the ultimate advantage. ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.