Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Caylus» Forums » General

Subject: So it seems like a 2 player game is decided by who gets to go first rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I wrong? Every game I've played so far the person who went first won.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
dragon of blood wrote:
Am I wrong?

Yes.

Don't know what else to say -- can you explain what you mean? What strategies did you try? Why didn't they work? What fundamental advantage does the first player seem to have?

I've had 2-player games go both ways. Of course, I am not a world-class player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to remember that in a 2-player game, first player alternates every turn, unlike with 3+ players, where you have to place your worker on the 1st-player space
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
My thoughts also were that maybe you have neglected the rule that 1st player alternates every turn.

It's an advantage to go first in the round, because you have unlimited choices of spaces to put your worker on. Going first first is probably a slight advantage. If the game ends with odd turns you've gone first more often. Also, the first phase of the game might have odd turns, so you'd get off to a better start. However, skill is much more often the deciding factor. Get two players, have them play two games with each going first once. I think the same guy will win both games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played quite a few games of two-player Caylus, since first-player alternates each round, I have noticed no advantage to being first vs second player at the start -- though if there were an odd number of turns in the game, there would, in fact, be a slight advantage to being first player. It would not, I expect, be enough to be game winning except between two perfectly matched expert opponents -- for most anyone else, someone will make an error that is bigger than the first player advantage -- in fact, there will likely be many such errors (as compared to perfect play).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/100740
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dragon of blood wrote:

I consistently go first playing against my brother in 2 player games, and I consistently lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
My SO and I randomly pick who goes first, but I win more often than not.

Also: how many 2-player Caylus games have you actually played before drawing your conclusion about the first player winning? I've played about 10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Welc
Poland
Wrocław (Vratislavia)
Lower Silesia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dragon of blood wrote:

Is your observation based on at least 20 games? Have you observed different couples playing that game?

There is a lot of 2 player games played at BSW. Maybe that is the place where you can gather information that can help you verify your hypothesis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph DiMuro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dragon of blood wrote:

Does your opponent always insist on going first?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Shakespeare
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ambrose wrote:
dragon of blood wrote:

I consistently go first playing against my brother in 2 player games, and I consistently lose.

arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The highest ELO players on BSW (over 2000 rating; you start at 1200 rating) consider going 1st to be worth roughly 1 point. So, unless you start 2nd and lose by 1 point or tie, you can't blame a loss or tie on having started 2nd. Ties and 1 point margin of victories are very rare (I would estimate they happen roughly 2-3% of the time), so I do not see it as a problem. Unless both players play perfectly, it likely won't matter. I've witnessed hundreds of 2ers on BSW, and I have yet to see a game where both players played flawlessly. Someone always makes at least one slight tactical error along the way.

I've also heard it said that going first in Caylus is similar to being White in Chess. I would say it is actually slightly less of an advantage in Caylus but, then again, it's a young game and there is probably only one player at grandmaster level and two at master level. And I wouldn't be surprised if 3-5 years from now the top players then could consistently beat the top players now (even if they are the same people and have simply improved their games).

Also, unlike Chess, Caylus has a randomized starting board, and I actually think that sometimes it may be preferable to start 2nd, depending on the initial board setup.

The link SevenSpirits gave is a very good read for new players, and even some veterans, but some things have changed in the nearly 3 years since Alexfrog wrote it. For one thing going to the castle 2 times, in an attempt to gain a total of 3 phase 1 favors, is inviting trouble. More likely your first visit to the castle will go uncontested, but your second visit will be met with an overbuild of 2 by the other player. So you would have spent 2 workers going to the castle for a total of 2 favors, while the other player went to the castle once for 2 favors. With his other worker he will have gotten an extra cube or $3. He then has the advantage going into phase 2, and the first round of that phase is arguably the most important one of the game since the first stone farms will usually be coming out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
No, in a two player game the winner is consistently my girlfriend (who always seems to be able to build the needed prestige buildings just before I canshake ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.