Recommend
8 
 Thumb up
 Hide
30 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: The HUMAN Cost of Indifference & Greed WARNING: GRAPHIC IMAGE rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


I don't know what to do with an image this haunting, and this devastating.

I only know a prayer of my own tradition:

Forgive us Lord for what we have done,
snd for what we have left undone.

We have not loved you with our whole heart.
We have not loved our neighbors as ourselves

We are truly sorry, and we humbly repent,
for the sake of your son, our savior, Jesus Christ.

Therefore, send us now into the world in peace...[/i]

Peace be with you all,
Christian
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Cost of Indifference & Greed
http://www.freep.com/article/20090129/NEWS01/90129053

The story above is by the reporter who found him. This picture was taken in an abandoned Detroit Public Schools warehouse--indicative of another sort of tragedy.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1000274...

The link above might get you to the audio interview with the reporter on NPR this afternoon. It shook me to my core.

Let us all do better. Detroit stands as an example of the effects of corrupt government, the economic devastation of outsourcing and loss of industry, and the failure of schools and the police to maintain order.

Heck, they put cloth painted facades over the blighted downtown when they hosted the SuperBowl there recently, because their stadium is beautiful, but their city is in ruins.

Talk about effed up priorities?!?

Johnnie Redding, age 53

Case Number: 09-1098

1953-2009
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Cost of Indifference & Greed
Add to that:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090127/M...

and you understand why I believe that utilities should not be FOR PROFIT entities.

Neither should health care or drug sales be for profits, but that's another issue.

Marvin Schur, age 93

1916-2009
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Cost of Indifference & Greed
and this story:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/01/28/family.dead.california/i...

and it is just about too much to take.. his boss told him 'You should not even have bothered to come to work today. You should have blown your brains out.' and he did, along with his five family members.



Greed and despair when a family loses all, and all is quite a lot, means that the fall is much more dangerous, and the folks are much less able to cope.

May we be spared the same fate.


Lupoe Family: 40yr old Ervin & 38yr old Ana; 8yr old Brittey; 5yr old twins Jaszmin & Jassely; and 2yr old twins Christian & Benjamin

RIP-2009
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Cost of Indifference & Greed


Around Milwaukee, there are frequent "makeshift memorials" to the young dead like the one pictured above. Whether it is due to a stray bullet, a hit-and-run driver, or abuse by a caregiver, there are far too many children who die needlessly in Milwaukee.

Their toys and things end up duct-taped to lighpoles above burnt out candles and things which are left there to fade in the sun or glean dirt from the road or snow often become even more tragic reminders of the failure of our city to protect its children.

And they sometimes even cause further conflict, as this debate from the Milwauke Journal Sentinel in 2005 illustrates.

If it takes a whole village to raise a child, we're not doing our part in Milwaukee when one dies.

On my drive to work I routinely see three of four of these dirty memorials beside run-down buildings and busy streetcorners. New ones continue to pop up, and slowly the police remove the old ones, and the poignancy of such tragedies is quickly forgotten.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The HUMAN Cost of Indifference & Greed
Our friend and my wife's colleague...



Michael lived life more fully from a wheelchair than most people think is possible on two feet. He was embarking on a career working with college students, just after graduating from UW-Whitewater, a four-year liberal arts college in the University of Wisconsin System.

But he was struck by a car and died a few days later, at an intersection where pedestrians, especially wheelchair-bound students (which UWW had the highest percentage of in the UW System, many who lived nearby, had complained to city and police officials about.

There was no functioning crossing light at this four lane intersection on the day of the accident. This was a preventable accident, with the proper care for infrastructure, and funding for city planning and initiatives which assist our communities specific needs.

It's so frustrating that we see these things after the tragedy happens, because then we fear repurcussions more than the loss of funds...

Michael James Chaloupka, 23

1985-2008


A week after Michael's death, the City Manager's Report cited the accident as the impetus for a study as to how to improve pedestrian safety in the areaa, followed by an irrelevant bit about police enforcement of jaywalking in that same vicinity, which sounded like an attempt to quell outrage by feigning activty while introducing factors which intend to confuse the public ss to the causality of the issue in question.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The HUMAN Cost of Indifference & Greed
Child Poverty Death Clock

DON"T FORGET THE REAL WORLD!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The HUMAN Cost of Indifference & Greed
diehard4life wrote:
you understand why I believe that utilities should not be FOR PROFIT entities.


I think it's not a problem for utilities to be run for profit as long as they are properly regulated. If the profit motive causes it to be run more efficiently, that's good. If it causes it to set aside people for profits, that's bad. One solution, that has mostly worked pretty well in the US, is regulation to ensure you get the former and not the latter. This is working less and less well because deregulation is taking over.
11 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Bailey
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Re: The HUMAN Cost of Indifference & Greed
Detroit has alot of abandoned buildings, including the rail station mentioned in one of the articles. It's kind of sad but it is a multifaceted problem.

On a side note, I know one of the legislators that proposed the bill to prevent the electric company from shutting power off. I grew up with him. He used to be good folk not sure if Lansing has polluted him though.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The HUMAN Cost of Indifference & Greed
DaviddesJ wrote:
diehard4life wrote:
you understand why I believe that utilities should not be FOR PROFIT entities.


I think it's not a problem for utilities to be run for profit as long as they are properly regulated. If the profit motive causes it to be run more efficiently, that's good. If it causes it to set aside people for profits, that's bad. One solution, that has mostly worked pretty well in the US, is regulation to ensure you get the former and not the latter. This is working less and less well because deregulation is taking over.


M.u.st...n.o.t...t..h..u..m..b...
...Da..vid...des..Jar..dins...
M.u.st...n.o.t...t..h..u..m..b...
M.u.st...n.o.t...t..h..u..m..b...

B..ut...he's...ri..ght...
M.u.st...n.o.t...t..h..u..m..b...
.
12 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
All my sins are of omission
badge
Snob of the People
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The HUMAN Cost of Indifference & Greed
diehard4life wrote:
But he was struck by a car and died a few days later, at an intersection where pedestrians, especially wheelchair-bound students (which UWW had the highest percentage of in the UW System, many who lived nearby, had complained to city and police officials about.
This was really sad. Unfortunately, people in wheelchairs are struck and killed by cars all the time. I saw this several times when I worked for the Medical Examiner's Office. Part of it is that the visual profile of someone in a wheelchair is lower, but a lot of it is that the infrastructure of the sidewalk is impossible to negotiate in a chair (no ramps into intersections, poorly timed lights, or in some cases there is NO sidewalk). This has the effect of forcing the person in the chair to maneuver in the actual street, which is of course very dangerous. I'm usually not one for blanket mandates from the government, but I think reasonable attempts to make all public spaces wheelchair-friendly would be a good one.
8 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The HUMAN Cost of Indifference & Greed
chiddler wrote:
diehard4life wrote:
and this story:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/01/28/family.dead.california/i...

and it is just about too much to take.. his boss told him 'You should not even have bothered to come to work today. You should have blown your brains out.' and he did, along with his five family members.



Greed and despair when a family loses all, and all is quite a lot, means that the fall is much more dangerous, and the folks are much less able to cope.

May we be spared the same fate.


Lupoe Family: 40yr old Ervin & 38yr old Ana; 8yr old Brittey; 5yr old twins Jaszmin & Jassely; and 2yr old twins Christian & Benjamin

RIP-2009


His boss flatly denies saying that. The Lupoes lost their their jobs because they lied, not because of the 'evils' of capitalism, and the only bad guy here was Mister Lupoe, may he rot in hell.


Shall anyone wish either judgement on another? Is not the same murderous spirit within what was alleged, as was written by your own hand?

And please explain how different it is from the act which took the lives of the man and his family.

Which is worse, the end of a temporal lives for seven people, or suffering for eternity? How can a finite being truly understand the equity of such judgements?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The HUMAN Cost of Indifference & Greed
JoshBot wrote:
diehard4life wrote:
But he was struck by a car and died a few days later, at an intersection where pedestrians, especially wheelchair-bound students (which UWW had the highest percentage of in the UW System, many who lived nearby, had complained to city and police officials about.
This was really sad. Unfortunately, people in wheelchairs are struck and killed by cars all the time. I saw this several times when I worked for the Medical Examiner's Office. Part of it is that the visual profile of someone in a wheelchair is lower, but a lot of it is that the infrastructure of the sidewalk is impossible to negotiate in a chair (no ramps into intersections, poorly timed lights, or in some cases there is NO sidewalk). This has the effect of forcing the person in the chair to maneuver in the actual street, which is of course very dangerous. I'm usually not one for blanket mandates from the government, but I think reasonable attempts to make all public spaces wheelchair-friendly would be a good one.


Thank you for your perspective. I do appreciate this difficulty.

I worked in facilities planning at a university (very careful about these considerations) back in the 1990's.

The second victim in this case is the driver of the car. This person made a lane change just before entering the area where the accident happened, and apparently did not see Michael.

This person is faced with the realization of their simple action taking the life of a truly beloved individual. I hope and pray that they too find peace, becuse I know that Michael did, and that he's healed now of his injuries.

My beef with Whitewater the city is that they had multiple complaints to Public Works/Police prior to this due to near mises by other individuals.

There was a very moving bit of video, which I can no longer find, that had an interview with another young woman who was a wheelchair user and UWW student, and she said that she and Michael had talked to the U and the city about this crosswalk before, a key one which was an access point for students with diabilities.

Preventable deaths, and the living human suffering left behind, are the most sad sorts of stories to me.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The HUMAN Cost of Indifference & Greed
DaviddesJ wrote:
diehard4life wrote:
you understand why I believe that utilities should not be FOR PROFIT entities.


I think it's not a problem for utilities to be run for profit as long as they are properly regulated. If the profit motive causes it to be run more efficiently, that's good. If it causes it to set aside people for profits, that's bad. One solution, that has mostly worked pretty well in the US, is regulation to ensure you get the former and not the latter. This is working less and less well because deregulation is taking over.


Profit does not guarantee efficiency.

The problem is that utilities aren't competetive market entities. You cannot have parallel infrastructure built and duplication of services provided in these cases.

People don't have a choice about WHICH utility to use. Where I live, in the inner-city o Milwaukee, we don't even have a choice of which TELCO provider to use. And the digital phone providers don't insure tower coverage where I live.

(I worked in telecom for 8 years, and saw what deregulation set up as a major clustuer**** in the road a couple of years down the road)

In industries which provide basic human services required for life, liberty, and the pursuit of hapiness...

Heat, Lights, Police, Refuse Collection, Basic Medical Care, and the like,

it is asinine risky, and possibly naive, to believe that the market and the federal government can "regulate" equity and protections for these liberties.

Yeah, my hero Reagan was a big catalyst for deregulation and I do believe that it is a massive cause for many of these things. But our amoral capitalism has stripped the utilities and health care providers in our nation of the obligation to serve people.

We piss and moan about the evils of "socialized medicine" or about redistribution of "wealth" in this country. I concur with a sense of wariness about either "solution" to these problems which we face.

The problem is within the hearts of human individuals. How can we legislate the self-service out of such things?

That's the 800 Billion $ question isn't it? I say that these monopolies in telecom and energy which can not be pseudo-divested as telecom appeard to be (I cannot start on that or I will write 50,000 words) ought to be stripped of their ability to make profits.

The government can then "regulate" efficiency, and make sure that utilities like WE Energies in SE Wisconsin are not building a coal-fired power plant using old technology, refusing to correct issues like warm water discharge into Lake Michigan (ought not endothermic energy be conserved, rather than damage a delicate ecosystem?), and passing on the costs to private billpayers to build a plant which was justified based upon energy demands from 10 years ago--which are no longer the reality.

We don't need the plant now, as folks have improved upon their own efficiency, and energy use has dropped massively. But WE is reticent about its plan, while raising our rates 350% in a closed market since 2002.

Ironic to me is that we never got a choice to determine if WE did any of these things.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The HUMAN Cost of Indifference & Greed
diehard4life wrote:


I don't know what to do with an image this haunting, and this devastating.

Well, for starters, you could put a "Graphic Image" warning in your title. Thanks a lot.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Done. But I do think that it is necessary for people to see it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I apologize if my words or images have harmed any of you.

Words sometimes fail me. I fail them more often...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No ID for frozen Detroit man yet.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chiddler wrote:
Hardly graphic - it looks fake, even if it isn't. Its professionally lit for a start.


The photo is obviously fake; I assume the author isn't claiming it's the actual crime scene, it is merely supposed to be symbolic.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there something I'm missing something here about why this is so unsettling? It's one dead body. You must have never seen a holocaust victim's photo for this to shake you so badly. Or even pictures of starving children in Kenya, which is still going on.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
chiddler wrote:
Hardly graphic - it looks fake, even if it isn't. Its professionally lit for a start.


The photo is obviously fake; I assume the author isn't claiming it's the actual crime scene, it is merely supposed to be symbolic.


It is the actual crime scene.

It is the photo, taken by a journalist, and I am sure he brought his camera with professional flash or lighting equipment when he first went to the scene.

Did you follow the links to the story? There is a series of extraction photos which were taken over two days of work (time it took to get the body out) in the updates story.

The tragedy is that a human life was lost. It's not "just another body" either, as calloused as we may all be by how much we've already seen.

THAT is my point. We ought not walk by an image like this, or simply chalk it up to another lifeless bit of flesh.

The point, friends, is one of us died. And they died in quite possibly one of the most lonely places, alone, in an elevator shaft of an abandoned DPS warehouse, owned by a notorious slumlord who refuses to both raze the property or secure it, and that people who were squatting there and homeless or tresspassing to play hockey on that 2 foot-thick ice did not feel safe to report the body to authorities. The person who died was forgotten, ignored, left without anyone to rescue his corpse from such an undignified resting place as this.

When the authorities were called by the reporter, after he found the body and confirmed the story he was told, were slow to respond. They supposedly showed up and could not find the body that day (despite the fact that it is in an elevator shaft--how many can their be?) and the reporter came back the next day to find it still there, undisturbed.

The same body is still unclaimed, unidentified, in a morgue awaiting an autopsy for a few days while it thawed.

This is somebody's son. This is somebody's friend. This may be somebody's missing loved one...

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
diehard4life wrote:
Did you follow the links to the story? There is a series of extraction photos which were taken over two days of work (time it took to get the body out) in the updates story.


I did follow your links, which don't have any such photos. With more research, I did find the original story and some photos here:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090129/M...

The story explains the photo, which was apparently taken by the newspaper before the police were called.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
diehard4life wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:
chiddler wrote:
Hardly graphic - it looks fake, even if it isn't. Its professionally lit for a start.


The photo is obviously fake; I assume the author isn't claiming it's the actual crime scene, it is merely supposed to be symbolic.


It is the actual crime scene.

It is the photo, taken by a journalist, and I am sure he brought his camera with professional flash or lighting equipment when he first went to the scene.

Did you follow the links to the story? There is a series of extraction photos which were taken over two days of work (time it took to get the body out) in the updates story.

The tragedy is that a human life was lost. It's not "just another body" either, as calloused as we may all be by how much we've already seen.

THAT is my point. We ought not walk by an image like this, or simply chalk it up to another lifeless bit of flesh.

The point, friends, is one of us died. And they died in quite possibly one of the most lonely places, alone, in an elevator shaft of an abandoned DPS warehouse, owned by a notorious slumlord who refuses to both raze the property or secure it, and that people who were squatting there and homeless or tresspassing to play hockey on that 2 foot-thick ice did not feel safe to report the body to authorities. The person who died was forgotten, ignored, left without anyone to rescue his corpse from such an undignified resting place as this.

When the authorities were called by the reporter, after he found the body and confirmed the story he was told, were slow to respond. They supposedly showed up and could not find the body that day (despite the fact that it is in an elevator shaft--how many can their be?) and the reporter came back the next day to find it still there, undisturbed.

The same body is still unclaimed, unidentified, in a morgue awaiting an autopsy for a few days while it thawed.

This is somebody's son. This is somebody's friend. This may be somebody's missing loved one...



Ok, but why haven't you posted any pictures of far more tragic sitautions (Such as the aforementioned Kenya) with the same amount of sorrow? This is 'just another body', no matter how you try to word. Yes it's very sad, but there far worse things happening to people right now. I still can't see why this one has you so worked up.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuesday, February 3, 2009

No Signs Frozen Man Was Slain -Charlie LeDuff / The Detroit News

Medical examiner finds no evidence of homicide in autopsy of victim found in abandoned building.

DETROIT -- It does not appear that the man found last week frozen at the bottom of an elevator shaft was murdered, authorities said Monday.

"There is no preliminary indication of homicide," said Vanessa Denha-Garmo, a spokeswoman for the Wayne County Medical Examiner.

While the complete results of the autopsy of the man, Johnnie Redding, are not expected for days, an initial examination of his icy body showed he had not been shot, stabbed or the victim of blunt trauma.

Advertisement

Redding, 56, was discovered last week, frozen in a vault of ice in a warehouse next to the old Michigan Central Rail Depot, only his shoes and shins visible. Investigators surmise his body lay in the warehouse's flooded basement for more than a month. He was wearing work gloves and may have died while scrounging scrap metal, they said.

"I'm glad to hear it wasn't murder," said his brother Homer Redding of River Rouge.

A prominent musician has offered to pay for Johnnie Redding's funeral.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Message wrote:
diehard4life wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:
chiddler wrote:
Hardly graphic - it looks fake, even if it isn't. Its professionally lit for a start.


The photo is obviously fake; I assume the author isn't claiming it's the actual crime scene, it is merely supposed to be symbolic.


It is the actual crime scene.

It is the photo, taken by a journalist, and I am sure he brought his camera with professional flash or lighting equipment when he first went to the scene.

Did you follow the links to the story? There is a series of extraction photos which were taken over two days of work (time it took to get the body out) in the updates story.

The tragedy is that a human life was lost. It's not "just another body" either, as calloused as we may all be by how much we've already seen.

THAT is my point. We ought not walk by an image like this, or simply chalk it up to another lifeless bit of flesh.

The point, friends, is one of us died. And they died in quite possibly one of the most lonely places, alone, in an elevator shaft of an abandoned DPS warehouse, owned by a notorious slumlord who refuses to both raze the property or secure it, and that people who were squatting there and homeless or tresspassing to play hockey on that 2 foot-thick ice did not feel safe to report the body to authorities. The person who died was forgotten, ignored, left without anyone to rescue his corpse from such an undignified resting place as this.

When the authorities were called by the reporter, after he found the body and confirmed the story he was told, were slow to respond. They supposedly showed up and could not find the body that day (despite the fact that it is in an elevator shaft--how many can their be?) and the reporter came back the next day to find it still there, undisturbed.

The same body is still unclaimed, unidentified, in a morgue awaiting an autopsy for a few days while it thawed.

This is somebody's son. This is somebody's friend. This may be somebody's missing loved one...



Ok, but why haven't you posted any pictures of far more tragic sitautions (Such as the aforementioned Kenya) with the same amount of sorrow? This is 'just another body', no matter how you try to word. Yes it's very sad, but there far worse things happening to people right now. I still can't see why this one has you so worked up.


The point is to motivate folks.

The sorrow is because of the conditions in which Jonnie died.

The difference is proximity and the fact that the image might be enough to get folks to change their behavior.

If a single person is moved to do a single thing to improve the world around them, and pare back the pervasive greed and self-centered myopia which leads to all of this suffering, then it is different.

The other point is that I was changed by this image. It moved me, and I have been desensitized to many of the other images. Most aren't images of atrocities in my own time, or in my own neighborhood, or at least within my scope of influence.

But I have been to Detroit, and have seen the poverty. I've worked in Cabrini Green, have been to the projects in Milwaukee, have worked to rehab inner-city buildings which were later torn down to build condos.

I've done things to make a difference as far as I could see things. I've tried to encourage others to do the same. But it still pains me to see such tragic things.

But I must ask, what allows anyone to lump any tragic image into a myriad of tragic images? Is that callous indifference, or clinical detachment Does it provide dignity to the dead to treat such things as "just another" of anything... or ought we consider the specific impact of individual tragedies as we see them, and try to remedy what we can?

The question lies with you as to why this is "just another body", not with me.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.