Popular Tags: [View All]
the scrub
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been reading and re-reading the FoF rules online for a while now and puzzling out the Example of Play. I took the plunge the other day thanks to Tom Grant's great review here on BGG and acquired a copy to finally try it out. Nothing is better than having the actual stuff in front of you to try and figure it out.

Some observations:

1. I think I must be doing something slightly wrong because I ended up with over 40 experience -- does that sound right? I was very slow and methodical but I fully expected to have to retry this mission...

2. I know for sure I messed up the rule on paralyzed and litter units -- I did NOT have either sides' retreat.

3. As a tried and true wargamer, considering diagonal cards as adjacent was difficult to do. I think I've been trained too well by other games.

4. Holy chart and booklet flipping Batman! This was ridiculous. Even if you knew the rules cold, just referencing contact charts, enemy activity AI, etc. got a bit silly.

5. Would this game be a bit less finicky if you doubled the cards in the Action Deck? I love the game mechanic but sometimes reshuffling happened a bit too often.

6. I think the sheer pandemonium that can erupt from verified contacts and the multitude of counters makes the confusion of combat come alive. There were times when many squads were in cover, pinned, surrounded by casualties, paralyzed units, exposure counters, in a crossfire and under concentrated heavy fire. Fields of Fire is an apt title.

7. If you get use to the level of abstraction the modelling of C3 is just about perfect I think. Nothing more frustrating than trying to maintain control of three platoons and attachments running all over.

8. I had a list of questions well into double digits that I'll muddle through and post tomorrow -- this game took a lot of braincycles but I'll say I enjoyed almost every second of it. Definitely a neat and different wargame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antero Kuusi
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
About 40 experience sounds correct for successful or "almost successful" mission. Note that promoting your squads from line to veteran costs 9 points per squad - three points per step and three steps per squad. So, that 40 points does not go that far after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
40 is a lot more than I have managed to get on mission 1. I think 25-30 is quite good. Did you count some cards as both PC A and objective or something? Or perhaps you were just very good at evacuating casualties and bringing in prisoners.

Bringing a squad up from line to veteran only costs 6 points. When two steps of three are veteran, and the third is line (not green), the combined unit is veteran (look it up in the tables, V+V+L=V).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the scrub
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pelni wrote:
40 is a lot more than I have managed to get on mission 1. I think 25-30 is quite good. Did you count some cards as both PC A and objective or something? Or perhaps you were just very good at evacuating casualties and bringing in prisoners.

Yes I did! So the objective cards are worth their 5/4/3 and PC clearance is not counted then? That's a few less XP...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fox
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Fear cannot be banished, but it can be calm and without panic; it can be mitigated by reason and evaluation.
badge
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it.
mbmbmbmbmb
pyton wrote:
About 40 experience sounds correct for successful or "almost successful" mission. Note that promoting your squads from line to veteran costs 9 points per squad - three points per step and three steps per squad. So, that 40 points does not go that far after all.

Maybe I've missed something, but couldn't you just promote two steps (costing 6)? The third step will be line, and two vet + one line should be a veteran unit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.