Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would you guys liken its "weight" to be akin to Pillars of the Earth (what I call the ultra-light Caylus)?

The game seems interesting, but I want something heavier than Pillars...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikkel Øberg
Denmark
Virum
flag msg tools
badge
Ahh, you found me... Run!
mbmbmbmbmb
Cuba is definitely heavier than pillars, which is perhaps the lightest game in the genre (too light for my liking). Cuba's 'players choose their actions' is more or less like pillars, with fixed spots, but the production-side of things is more complex than even Caylus. In Cuba, you have to plan further ahead when building your plantation, and there is a random law/tax element to the game that is much more diverse than the simple which-two-people-are-turned-this-turn of pillars.

In summary, Caylus might be heavier on the 'what should I do this specific turn to optimize my outcome', but Cuba has more paths to victory and a higher diversity than Caylus, without making it at all a random game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cuba is actually pretty darn heavy for a Euro. I would say it's heavier than my 2 mainstay Euro games, Puerto Rico and Power Grid, without a doubt.

Send me a copy of Pillars and I'll let you know if Pillars is heavier
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam K
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cuba is one of my favourite games. I like it more than both Puerto Rico and Caylus.

The rules are not harder to understand than normal Eurogames and you will have no problem to play it. However, there are some tough choises to make during the game and there are a lot of things to do and strategies to go for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. I myself compare Cuba to Puerto Rico in where Cuba is a lighter version of that. There's still alot of things you can do despite there only being 5 actions, and everyone has their own set of action cards which are identical to each other player's, so there's no competition to say, build perse, but to build sooner to get alternatives (kinda like the game's privelige concept) is one of the decisions to make in the game.

Haven't playe Pillars, so can't comment on that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I agree. Pillars is too light for me, Cuba is just right, and Caylus is a little too heavy.

I think of weight in terms of amount of tactical and strategic difficulty. In terms of rules complexity, Cuba is probably about equal to Pillars or even simpler.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikkel Øberg
Denmark
Virum
flag msg tools
badge
Ahh, you found me... Run!
mbmbmbmbmb
morningstar wrote:
In terms of rules complexity, Cuba is probably about equal to Pillars or even simpler.

Interesting, I had not thought about it before, but Pillars is actually too complex compared to its strategic depth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.