Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Duncan
United States
Ithaca
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone point me to a set of rules in English?

Here is the description from Fungain Games, which adds a bit of detail to the game description on the BGG page for the game. But I still have a few questions (see below).

From Funagain

"With most abstract games, your opponent can move any number of ways and you have to determine which ones are best in order to counter them and succeed. In Sim Serim, on the other hand, your opponent can move in only one way -- yet there's still lots of uncertainty on each turn. Here's how the game is played:

"A 7x7 board with two opposing corner spaces removed is placed diagonally between the players (or teams, if you're playing with four). On a turn, you and your opponent each choose to conceal from 1 to 4 stones in your hand. After revealing the stones, whoever offered fewer stones places them in a diagonal row from left to right, then the other player follows. "The stones must be placed one after the other, adjacent to the last stone placed in the row," says designer Heinrich Glumpler. "You may not choose which position in the current row is filled. In the case of a tie in the number of stones offered, the same player goes first who went first in the previous round. (In the case of a tie in the first round, black goes first.)"

"Whenever a row is filled, the current player chooses which row the players will next start to fill. The game ends when the board fills, then the players rotate the board 45 degrees and look at the horizontal rows and vertical columns they created. They score points for each set of exactly three stones in their color—but they lose points if any horizontal or vertical set has more than three stones. Glumpler says that this scoring condition sets up a lot of thinking and counter-thinking each turn, with the ability to determine which new row to fill being another crucial element."

OK, a couple of questions:

* The corner counts as a 1 space row, right?

* Can you place anywhere in a row, when you are beginning a new row? (I assume the answer is Yes, but would like confirmation). And in this case, does the row "wraparound," so that once you (or your opponent) meet the edge, the next stone must be placed on the opposite edge, and then placement works its way back toward the first stone placed in the row?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heinrich Glumpler
Germany
Koeln
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
Hi,

first: I will ask permission of the publisher to upload the english rules to BGG.

See also: http://www.erlkoenig.ws/hrrg/website/home/receiver.php?do=Sh...

Until then I will send the english rules to anybody contacting me (a word file).

Regarding your questions:

* The corner counts as a 1 space row, right?

Take a close look at the board and you will see that there is no upper or lower corner - the top and the bottom of the board shows the logos of the players (a moon for the magicain and a sun for the fairie).
So - the shortest row consists of two spaces.

* Can you place anywhere in a row, when you are beginning a new row?

No - when starting to place stones in a new row the first stone must be placed in a space at the edge - the player chooses the leftmost or rightmost space in the new row.
Your assumptions about the "wraparound" are not quite correct - you will understand this as soon as you read the rules.

I would like to elaborate a little bit, because (in my humble opinion ) it is an important tactical element in this game:

As soon as a row is filled the active player (the player currently placing his stones) chooses the next empty row and puts his next stone in the rightmost or leftmost space of this row.
Especially if this player went first in the current round he may thus force his opponent to put his stones on specific spaces yielding him negative points.

So all depends who goes first and in which round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heinrich Glumpler
Germany
Koeln
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
Good news! "Clemens Gerhards" granted the permission to upload the rules. I will wait a little bit until BGG 2.0 is running more smoothly (currently there are some issues with the "Files" and "Links" section).

Until then - contact me directly please to get the rules in English and French.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ARTHUR REILLY
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heinrich Glumpler
Germany
Koeln
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
I would love a copy of "sim serim" rules in english. Whatever links that exist now, don't work.l

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ARTHUR REILLY
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there

I'd love to see a copy of the sim serim rules. The links didn't work for me.

Thanks in advance.

Arthur

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.