mike hunt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious, how many people here actually prefer buying shiny new games, reading about them, etc., but never actually go beyond the 'ooh shiny' stage, before you're back to the website and reading about more games to buy.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AxonDomini
United States
Smithtown
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Very few of us, probably. It's just that there are far more opportunities to read and post about games than there are to actually play them.
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike hunt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffk wrote:
Very few of us, probably. It's just that there are far more opportunities to read and post about games than there are to actually play them.


How many times do you think you should play a given game (assuming you like it) before you buy another one to avoid "collecting mania".

I mean if you play a game 3 times then buy yet another one, it's just collecting really isn't it?

PS. I only ask this question because there are so many pretty games I'd like to buy. :) I wonder what a 'sensible' game collection size is. I thought 30, but that is coming up to £1,000, which isn't all that sensible really... But then again if you play every day, then it's not all that many. Maybe 30 per year :D
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Smooth seas make the voyage more pleasant.
badge
A ship in port is safe, and that's just what ports are for.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
thelawnet wrote:
Just curious, how many people here actually prefer buying shiny new games, reading about them, etc., but never actually go beyond the 'ooh shiny' stage, before you're back to the website and reading about more games to buy.


How many people? Exactly 347.

* * *
I may be one of them--but it depends.

I do find that wishing for a game (and reading about it, gazing at images of it, etc.) is often more fun than actually playing it. But I can't say I prefer to just wish and read and gaze and admire, because really I'd like to find a game (or more than one) that I enjoy playing so much that I'd rather be playing it than browsing around here on BGG.

My track record isn't very good, though. I've bought and fiddled around with many more games than I've actually played with others; and I've spent way more time thinking and reading and talking about or wishing for games than actually playing them.

Still, I'm always after the "holy grail"--the one game that strikes me as close enough to perfect that I can just lose myself in playing it and be happy ever after.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike hunt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:

Still, I'm always after the "holy grail"--the one game that strikes me as close enough to perfect that I can just lose myself in playing it and be happy ever after.


Hmm, you've owned 198 games so far, what are the chances of that happening now.... I'll put you down as a magpie. :)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Smooth seas make the voyage more pleasant.
badge
A ship in port is safe, and that's just what ports are for.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
thelawnet wrote:

How many times do you think you should play a given game (assuming you like it) before you buy another one to avoid "collecting mania". . . .


Depends on how much of a collector you are, I guess. There's nothing wrong with making a hobby out of collecting games, if that's your interest and you're doing it responsibly. Then it's just like collecting stamps or coins or antiques or whatever. For some people, that's a lot of fun and can be rewarding.

There's nothing that says you have to play the games you own. It's your choice entirely.

It's generally a bad idea to let anything become an obsession, though--be it collecting games, playing them, or anything else. Whatever you do, you want to always be in control of it; you don't want it controlling you.

* * *
Personally, I'm not much of a collector. I've just got a collecting streak in me. For one thing, I'm a completist; so if I buy a game and like it well enough to keep it, I want to buy all the expansions for it (whether I'll actually use them or not). Also, every once in a while, nostalgia gets the best of me, and I'll buy a game just for old times' sake. But other than that, I really don't like having my closet filled with games that are just taking up space. Even if I don't need the space for anything else, I'd just as soon get rid of the games if they're not being used.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy K.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Way-whu-nuh-now?!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I love buying games, reading the rules, sorting the bits, setting up a sample game AND playing games with friends. I enjoy playing the games somewhat more, but neither seems like a waste of my time.

I'm a freelance writer and editor, so my work life has two distinct phases:

-Working like a crazy person 12 or more hours a day for 6-7 days a week for 6-8 weeks. In this phase, I have no time, but plenty of spare cash on hand.

-Not working. During this phase, I have all the time in the world but must monitor my expenditures.

So, when I'm working, I'll put in an order for a game or three or four. When I'm not working, I'll play the games.

Yes, I have many games I haven't played and I continue to buy games, probably about 10 a year. I don't really care though. Most of my friends would rather play a game several times than learn rules to several games and play them once. That's cool with me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Smooth seas make the voyage more pleasant.
badge
A ship in port is safe, and that's just what ports are for.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
thelawnet wrote:
Patrick Carroll wrote:

Still, I'm always after the "holy grail"--the one game that strikes me as close enough to perfect that I can just lose myself in playing it and be happy ever after.


Hmm, you've owned 198 games so far, what are the chances of that happening now.... I'll put you down as a magpie.


Well, look at how many of those 198 games are "previously owned." You have to scope out the field before you get a sense of what you'd like to settle on.

But hey--thanks for the "magpie" thing! I work as an editor, so I'm a wordsmith--but I've never heard that usage of the word before. At first, I guessed you meant I'm all talk. But I looked the word up, and it turns out "magpie" can be "one who collects indiscriminately." Thanks to you, I learned something new today.

I don't collect indiscriminately, though. Far from it. I agonize over every purchase I make. I don't think I've ever in my life bought a game frivolously. Each and every time, I've gone into the purchase thinking, "This could be the one!"

Of course, after years of doing that and then seeing the shortcomings in every new game, I no longer start out with very high hopes. Nowadays it's more like, "This could be really suitable for me, even if it's not 'the one'." Still, anytime I buy a game, it's with the hope that it will suit me better than any game I've tried so far.

I don't expect to ever actually find my "holy grail" game, but I believe the process of seeking it may lead me to settle on a relatively few games that suit me very well.



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike hunt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:
thelawnet wrote:
Patrick Carroll wrote:

Still, I'm always after the "holy grail"--the one game that strikes me as close enough to perfect that I can just lose myself in playing it and be happy ever after.


Hmm, you've owned 198 games so far, what are the chances of that happening now.... I'll put you down as a magpie. :)


Well, look at how many of those 198 games are "previously owned." You have to scope out the field before you get a sense of what you'd like to settle on.

But hey--thanks for the "magpie" thing! I work as an editor, so I'm a wordsmith--but I've never heard that usage of the word before. At first, I guessed you meant I'm all talk. But I looked the word up, and it turns out "magpie" can be "one who collects indiscriminately." Thanks to you, I learned something new today.


Maybe my usage was inaccurate. There seem to be a few slightly different definitions of the word.

But in England the magpie has a reputation for liking shiny objects, which it will seize and put in its nest.

OED has 'a person who obsessively collects things or who chatters idly. '

I think my intended meaning 'one who collects shiny objects' is closer to the actual behaviour of the bird than either definition given.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Rodman
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:

Still, I'm always after the "holy grail"--the one game that strikes me as close enough to perfect that I can just lose myself in playing it and be happy ever after.




I believe they call that "Chasing the dragon" , lol. Seriously though, it is funny how similar it is to a drug addiction, your always telling yourself that the next one will be the one which leaves you happy enough you won't need anymore.


I am very different then a lot of people here I think, I like reading about games and considering new purchases like everyone else, but for me, the more I read about most games, the smaller my list gets. When I first got into the hobby it seemed like there were dozens of games I was interested in, pretty much every Fantasy flight game, miniatures and cards, but after reading reviews and specs on most of them they no longer interest me as potential purchases, they are either too long, or to similar to something I already have or just unappealing. A lot of them are still games I'n interested in and wouldn;'t mind playing but I don;t have the urge to drain my bank account to fill my shelf up with the guilt of unplayed games.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to be like this, when I lived out in the 'burbs, and couldn't get my friends together for regular gaming.

Now I've moved into the city, and have a regular games night so we can play. Plus, I've got BGG to read reviews before I buy, so I can make sure I buy games worth playing!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Smooth seas make the voyage more pleasant.
badge
A ship in port is safe, and that's just what ports are for.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
biggreen wrote:

I am very different then a lot of people here I think, I like reading about games and considering new purchases like everyone else, but for me, the more I read about certain games, the smaller my list gets. When I first got into the hobby it seemed like there were dozens of games I was interested in, pretty much every Fantasy flight game and miniatures and cards, but after reading reviews and specs on most of them they no longer interest me as potential purchases, they are either too long, or to similar to something I already have. A lot of them are still games I'n interested in and wouldn;'t mind playing but I don;t have the urge to drain my bank account to fill my shelf up with the guilt of unplayed games.


I can relate to that. When you've been around awhile, you start to realize there's nothing new under the sun. The shiny new games don't shine as brightly for you anymore; you can tell they're all similar to games you've played before.

So, I find myself becoming ever more discriminating in what I buy.

The main problem for me is that I've always loved games but I can rarely find people to play them with (on terms I'm comfortable with, that is). So I end up buying games I think I'll like--and then find myself unable to play them very often (if at all) for lack of opponents.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't buy games that I don't punch, bag, and play .....anymore.

I have several unplayed games in my collection, but I have gotten passed that collectors bug long ago.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
thelawnet wrote:
Just curious, how many people here actually prefer buying shiny new games, reading about them, etc., but never actually go beyond the 'ooh shiny' stage, before you're back to the website and reading about more games to buy.


Well, I'm just surfing this website between moves in the half dozen games I'm currently playing online...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AxonDomini
United States
Smithtown
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
thelawnet wrote:
jeffk wrote:
Very few of us, probably. It's just that there are far more opportunities to read and post about games than there are to actually play them.


How many times do you think you should play a given game (assuming you like it) before you buy another one to avoid "collecting mania".

I mean if you play a game 3 times then buy yet another one, it's just collecting really isn't it?

PS. I only ask this question because there are so many pretty games I'd like to buy. I wonder what a 'sensible' game collection size is. I thought 30, but that is coming up to £1,000, which isn't all that sensible really... But then again if you play every day, then it's not all that many. Maybe 30 per year


I believe I've just recently past the point where I'll buy games in lots of 5 or 6, and as a result the growth of my collection is slowing. Now when I buy a game it's because it either a) is an expansion to a game I already own and really enjoy, meaning it's guaranteed to see some decent table time b) offers an experience very different from anything I currently own (which is why I'm currently eyeing Chicago Express) or c) offers a similar experience to something I already own, but I believe it will do it better (like when I replaced Vinci with Antike). Finding a game that meets either (b) or (c) is getting pretty hard, so right now my list of planned purchases is almost all expansions.

However, that's just MY approach. Others have completely different ways of looking at it, and as long as you're not spending more than you can reasonably afford I wouldn't worry.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Rodman
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:
biggreen wrote:

I am very different then a lot of people here I think, I like reading about games and considering new purchases like everyone else, but for me, the more I read about certain games, the smaller my list gets. When I first got into the hobby it seemed like there were dozens of games I was interested in, pretty much every Fantasy flight game and miniatures and cards, but after reading reviews and specs on most of them they no longer interest me as potential purchases, they are either too long, or to similar to something I already have. A lot of them are still games I'n interested in and wouldn;'t mind playing but I don;t have the urge to drain my bank account to fill my shelf up with the guilt of unplayed games.


I can relate to that. When you've been around awhile, you start to realize there's nothing new under the sun. The shiny new games don't shine as brightly for you anymore; you can tell they're all similar to games you've played before.

So, I find myself becoming ever more discriminating in what I buy.

The main problem for me is that I've always loved games but I can rarely find people to play them with (on terms I'm comfortable with, that is). So I end up buying games I think I'll like--and then find myself unable to play them very often (if at all) for lack of opponents.




For sure, and for me I'm the guy that is introducing modern games to all of my various buddies. I need a selection to appeal to everyone and keep things interesting but I know from talking to them they aren't interested in trying a bunch of new games all of the time and it's hard enough to explain the rules to begin with.

This is were expansion packs come in for me, I love to shop and get new things like everyone else and expansions are a perfect way to feed that. You get something new and you expand on something you already enjoy without the risk of something that sits unplayed. All of my games have expansions available and for the most part all of my future gaming money at this point will be spent on building on the games I already have and enjoy.

Overspending and overindulging on a hobby can turn into the deathblow that makes you or forces you to lost interest all together and no one wants that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Snyder
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Shouldn't you be playing a game with me instead of wasting time on the Internet?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't say I prefer it, but I have an easier time finding cools new games to look at than I do finding the right group of people to play them with :/
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Smith
United States
Shelton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have a single game in my house that I have purchased that hasn't been played, and I have every intention to playing again. The problem is like everyone has stated here... there is so much more time to review games on line than there is to find 3-4 friends and sit down and play a game.

Also, there are a few unopened, unplayed games in my house... but I can't do anything about the crap people buy for me over the holidays when they ignore my suggestions for gift ideas and go off on their own... (I appreciate the heart, I just wish they did a little research)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Smooth seas make the voyage more pleasant.
badge
A ship in port is safe, and that's just what ports are for.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rsmithx wrote:

Also, there are a few unopened, unplayed games in my house... but I can't do anything about the crap people buy for me over the holidays when they ignore my suggestions for gift ideas and go off on their own... (I appreciate the heart, I just wish they did a little research)


I resorted to letting friends and family know about my amazon.com wish list. That's the only "research" they have to do now. Makes me feel a little pushy, but on the whole it works out better for everybody. I just make sure I fill the list with various things, in different price ranges, that I wouldn't mind having.

Thanks to my wish list, I now own Alhambra and Blue Moon (in addition to games I bought for myself or my wife). When I'll get to play them, I don't know. Depends on my wife's mood, mainly.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marvin
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
biggreen wrote:

I believe they call that "Chasing the dragon" , lol. Seriously though, it is funny how similar it is to a drug addiction, your always telling yourself that the next one will be the one which leaves you happy enough you won't need anymore.


I'm glad I'm not that bad Though I may go overboard and buy more games than I should, I know that eventually I'll play them. It's something I learned from collecting comics for more than ten years.

Only problem I have is that I run the risk of buyong something that is absolutely horrid, and I've never been able to sell something that I bought. I still have all my comics, books and videogames...I fear for my storage space
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kollross
Canada
Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the magpie microbadge I'm guilty of amassing games but I'm trying to change. I'm selling off or trading games to slim down the mass of my collection. I have games I will realistically never play and they need to go. My trade list has a few and as I work on letting more go it will get longer but the process is painfull.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kollross
Canada
Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
But hey--thanks for the "magpie" thing! I work as an editor, so I'm a wordsmith--but I've never heard that usage of the word before. At first, I guessed you meant I'm all talk. But I looked the word up, and it turns out "magpie" can be "one who collects indiscriminately." Thanks to you, I learned something new today.


Magpies will hoarde bits of shiny things they find like tin, glass, plastic. There have been reports of birds nests with coins and rings in them. Bizarre behaviour but I can relate.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Atomic batteries to power! Turbines to speed!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still kindof in the collectors phase at the moment. I'm still trying to find a group of friends that will play games more regular, and variety of games at that. I do play Star Wars and D&D minis but trying to find a group ready to commit to say a day of Twilight Imperium is a big problem.

So I am in the buying/collecting phase at the moment, but are trying, REALLY TRYING, to get more into playing.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.