Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After the Flood: a move-by-move pictorial account

This is an experiment in session reporting for AtF. The Picture and table below should describe all the action for the first 8 rounds of Turn 1. If this looks good and people can follow it, then I will post the rest of game in 8-12 round increments. It should take about 10-15 "snapshots" of the game in progress.

A e-copy of the rulebook for After the Flood can be found on the Warfrog website here:

http://www.warfroggames.com/images/ATF_rules_vis5.pdf

If you want to follow the game and understand what/why then you will need to know the rules... we will not explain them here.

PLEASE NOTE that the game board here is NOT the original art published by Warfrog. The original art on the gameboard is much more tasteful and attractive, in fact it is one of the most beautiful and functional gameboards I have ever seen. The artwork used here was created by an fellow geek, Bob Wilson (LordBobbio). If you like it, go here and give him a thumbs up: Thanks again Bob for supplying the graphics for our VASSAL module!

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/393804

KEY: The numbers on the map indicate which Round of Turn 1 each item was placed (or removed) from the board. If the item was removed, then there is a red slash through the turn number (for example, the green worker in Akkad was first placed on round 4 and the removed on round 6 when Green “Established Empire” in Akkad).

The table below the map has the sole purpose of displaying the status of each players resources. Under the first few columns (headed “Player” and “At Start”) the beginning resources are listed. Each player started Round 1 of Turn 1 with 10 workers, 4 Cities, No Armies, 5 Grain, 3 textiles, and 1 each of wood, metal, tools, oil and gold. The players do not get any Lapis Lazuli to start the game.

Under the column headings R1, R2, R3 etc. you can see what resources were used and/or gained during that round.

For example on Round 5:

1. Green placed a City so the number of cities in his resource pool was reduced by 1. If you look on the map you will see that there is a Green City in the Umma region labeled turn number “5” which is where the city was placed.

2. Blue placed a worker in the “Amorites” region.

3. Red traded 2 grain for a wood and a metal.

The number of each resource remaining in the players supply can be calculated at any point by simply adding cross-ways. For example, at the end of round 8 Green had no cities, 8 workers, 12 armies, 3 grain, and No tools, along with the original amounts of all other resources he started the game with.

Not every action of every round results in an on-board effect. On some rounds the players will trade goods – surrendering some goods in order to get others, therefore there is not a round number on the map for every player every round..

The intent will be to provide some commentary by the players after each 8-12 round segment posted.

Please post your comments. If you can follow this and it works for you, let me know with a comment or a thumbs-up. Otherwise, please provide suggestions as to how this could be improved!

Foob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Costas
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I can follow this better than playing the actual Vassal game module.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks good but I think there is a mistake: Red's round 2 and round 3 actions seem to be mixed up, either on the board or on the chart.

Looking forward to more as I've not yet had a chance to play this and I'm eager to see how a game plays out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
QBert80 wrote:
Looks good but I think there is a mistake: Red's round 2 and round 3 actions seem to be mixed up, either on the board or on the chart.

Looking forward to more as I've not yet had a chance to play this and I'm eager to see how a game plays out.

Thanks - I fixed it.

Things start getting exciting in the next 8 rounds... stay tuned!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wilson
United States
Northampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fubar awol wrote:

The original art on the gameboard is much more tasteful and attractive, in fact it is one of the most beautiful and functional gameboards I have ever seen. The artwork used here was created by an fellow geek, Bob Wilson (LordBobbio). If you like it, go here and give him a thumbs up: Thanks again Bob for supplying the graphics for our VASSAL module!

Um Foob, is this intended as a backhanded compliment??? I like the art on the original but, "much more tasteful and attractive" kinda smarts.

One thing I noticed is that the discs in the module look to much like the discs on the map. That's a bit of a problem for play in Vassal, but of course wasn't a problem at all for my intended purpose of creating the map to begin with... get a taste of the game while my local Geekbuddy waited for his copy to take a loooooong time to arrive in shipping.

Now that the original board is around, I agree, it's less jarring on the eyes... but, it's not a beauty contest, is it??? gulp

Keep up the reports, very intersting! thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LordBobbio wrote:
fubar awol wrote:

The original art on the gameboard is much more tasteful and attractive, in fact it is one of the most beautiful and functional gameboards I have ever seen. The artwork used here was created by an fellow geek, Bob Wilson (LordBobbio). If you like it, go here and give him a thumbs up: Thanks again Bob for supplying the graphics for our VASSAL module!

Um Foob, is this intended as a backhanded compliment??? I like the art on the original but, "much more tasteful and attractive" kinda smarts.

One thing I noticed is that the discs in the module look to much like the discs on the map. That's a bit of a problem for play in Vassal, but of course wasn't a problem at all for my intended purpose of creating the map to begin with... get a taste of the game while my local Geekbuddy waited for his copy to take a loooooong time to arrive in shipping.

Now that the original board is around, I agree, it's less jarring on the eyes... but, it's not a beauty contest, is it??? gulp

Keep up the reports, very intersting! thumbsup

Sorry Bob... My intent was to elevate the work on the original, not denegrate yours! I also didn't want to put anyone off purchasing the boardgame from Martin, which you can do here:

http://www.warfroggames.com/After%20the%20Flood.html

Your board is better in a lot of ways: more game information (the turn-order stuff is more detailed) and the point you make about color contrast for VASSAL use is a very important point. Also you have fixed the error on the original board as printed (the erroneous text in Dilmun) So, this board is more functional and better. It is also very colorful and high-contrast, some folks perfer that. For me, I'm one of the "muted and subtle" guys... for example, I really like the original Age of Steam Board (which is actually quite plain) to the more colorful and busy "Railroad Tycoon" board. Just my preference. Sorry! Thanks for giving us the board for the module.

Hey, when do you want to start up a game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wilson
United States
Northampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm currently in a job hunt, so it might be a while... no real offense was taken, but I had to tease you on the wording. Thanks for your heaps of praise about the board I made. I've seen the original in person, and it's a lot nicer looking than my copy, I must agree. I really like having player aids or information printed directly on a board for often used rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Note to anyone interested...

Well, we terminated the game before the first turn ended: it just wasn't working well over VASSAL - too little happens with each player action and it just seemed to take way to long to play. We have all returned to our "regular" Age of Steam playing on VASSAL.

Re: the session report format - I do somthing similar for our Age of Steam sessions and this just proved to be way to labor intensive for a one-time-thing. If you like the blow-by-blow reporting then check out the sessions I have posted over on the Age of Steam Page... there are about 10 of them up now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.