David Matchen
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if you live in Atlanta, your luck may be about to change!

Granted, it's stuff like Jenga, Pictionary and Trouble, but, hey--baby steps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I read that too. It sounds like a fun time with more of a party-game atmosphere rather than serious stuff (which is perfect for meeting and getting to know new people IMO).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Who knows, though. Maybe some people in the back are playing Power Grid, and the reporter sure isn't going to write about a game no one's heard of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
thermogimp wrote:
more of a party-game atmosphere rather than serious stuff

And why can't party games be serious stuff?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
thermogimp wrote:

You're right. I apologize.

:goes home to practice uno strategies:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
thermogimp wrote:

Actually, I do find them to be fairly serious. A lot of them require you to reveal things about your personality, emotions, intellect (or lack of), writing/drawing/thinking skills than do many strategy games.

I certainly don't feel comfortable playing those type of games with strangers!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Fantastic.

Did you look at the image gallery from the article?. Those people were having a great time... playing games!

What a terrific idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting.........their angle seems to be children's games--on purpose.

It works for them, but unfortunately still perepetuates the myth that board games are strictly things for children!!

:sigh:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:
It works for them, but unfortunately still perepetuates the myth that board games are strictly things for children!!

Well, I don't know about that Mrs. Mystery Bob. I saw chess and Scrabble and a few party games for adults. And even so... board games are for all ages. Right? And if, as this article seems to imply, this is a growing trend for singles to enjoy each other's company then I reckon the steps to our rarefied niche just got a little shorter.

If I wasn't so damned old and cranky myself I'd open one of these here in Idaho. In fact, I may just have to consider the merits of such a proposition anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
Quote:

Well, I don't know about that Mrs. Mystery Bob. I saw chess and Scrabble and a few party games for adults. And even so... board games are for all ages. Right? And if, as this article seems to imply, this is a growing trend for singles to enjoy each other's company then I reckon the steps to our rarefied niche just got a little shorter.

If I wasn't so damned old and cranky myself I'd open one of these here in Idaho. In fact, I may just have to consider the merits of such a proposition anyway.

Wow!! and you might just get your chance!!;

"PlayDate began in Atlanta in 2005 and has slowly expanded from a monthly crowd of 80 to 500 twice a month in nine cities across the nation. The three men hope to start affiliates in another 20 markets this year."

What I meant in my post was that the theme seems to be letting loose, and acting like kids again. Which I agree, is a fantastic way to socialize, relax, and break the ice in a room full of strangers. Will it lead more people down the road to BGG??? Maybe if the founders are given hints about some of our games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:
What I meant in my post was that the theme seems to be letting loose, and acting like kids again. Which I agree, is a fantastic way to socialize, relax, and break the ice in a room full of strangers. Will it lead more people down the road to BGG??? Maybe if the founders are given hints about some of our games?

Our games? Hang on a sec there young lady! I love Scrabble. And Big Boggle. And a host of games that might do well in a social setting. You're not being elitist now... are you?

A game like Agricola //shudder// wouldn't fly in a setting where people assemble to mingle and maybe even get lucky. Nor would any of the more talked about Euros and Ameritrash games and most certainly NOT war games. That's not the point, right? The point is to offer a setting where folks can enjoy games with each other while they socialize.

What attracts me to the concept is stated in the article... all the pretense of having to be a stud or a hottie are dropped when you sit down at a table with a bunch of people and ending up having fun with words, puzzles, interaction and so forth.

Figure it this way... it opens the door to board games as a valid recreational activity for single people who want to meet others but not in a drunken, brawling, sexually tense setting.

Would any attendees have an epiphany and realize they've been closet game geeks all their life and so seek out BGG and eventually come to Chit Chat to pretend they really aren't geeks but uber-cool smart asses in the way that MisterCranky is?

Maybe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
uber-cool smart asses

Present.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
DWTripp wrote:
uber-cool smart asses

Present.

Did you read the whole post Chapel? Here, let me refresh for you:

Quote:
to pretend they really aren't geeks but uber-cool smart asses in the way that MisterCranky is?

But hey, if the shoe fits....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
Quote:

Our games? Hang on a sec there young lady! I love Scrabble. And Big Boggle. And a host of games that might do well in a social setting. You're not being elitist now... are you?

A game like Agricola //shudder// wouldn't fly in a setting where people assemble to mingle and maybe even get lucky. Nor would any of the more talked about Euros and Ameritrash games and most certainly NOT war games. That's not the point, right? The point is to offer a setting where folks can enjoy games with each other while they socialize.

What attracts me to the concept is stated in the article... all the pretense of having to be a stud or a hottie are dropped when you sit down at a table with a bunch of people and ending up having fun with words, puzzles, interaction and so forth.

Figure it this way... it opens the door to board games as a valid recreational activity for single people who want to meet others but not in a drunken, brawling, sexually tense setting.

Would any attendees have an epiphany and realize they've been closet game geeks all their life and so seek out BGG and eventually come to Chit Chat to pretend they really aren't geeks but uber-cool smart asses in the way that MisterCranky is?

Maybe.

Exactly how I feel. Thanks for summing it up in a manner much more eloquent than I can provide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:

I had a choice early in life to either be become a hard living biker type, or a hip cool smart ass geeky type.

I made my bed, and I'm laying in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thermogimp wrote:
DWTripp wrote:
Quote:

Maybe.

Exactly how I feel. Thanks for summing it up in a manner much more eloquent than I can provide.

Whoa there!! I was just being cute/sarcastic!! I am in no way elitist. Just because I hate Monopoly and think Risk is more painful than torture? :p

Anyway, you got me thinking and reminiscing back to my single years (not a fun trip, I must say). And if I put on my "single" hat and mindset again...........I definitely see your point and would have LOVED something like that as an alternative to the typical singles bar/club/pick-up joint scene. Yes!!! At least, if you don't meet someone, you will have had a blast--instead of convinvcing yourself that you did!!!

It's hard to view it objectively when you've been married for a while!!

Yep!! It doesn't matter if they "cross over" or not!! The point is to have more alternatives--less scary ones for singles to get together and have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know I am having trouble! Though, I'd rather just go drinking and talking rather than playing board games of those sorts. I'd just embarress myself with my bad vocabulary and spelling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Morse
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
http://atroublewithwords.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
DWTripp wrote:

I had a choice early in life to either be become a hard living biker type, or a hip cool smart ass geeky type.

Hard living biker type, or cowboy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
DWTripp wrote:

Need I remind you Chapel... I owned a game store for 23 years? I actually wrote that miserable RPG you now have in your possession. I sought out and obtained the very first license for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. How on Earth can you get any geekier than that?

My geek chops put yours to shame friend. The fact that I did it all on a string of Harley's and other classy motorcycles just adds to my smart ass chops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
Hey! No talking about games in Chit-Chat! You guys know better!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Having Trouble Meeting the Gamer of Your Dreams?

NO.

Kathy Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Look ye upon her microbadges and weep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not an either/or proposition. I would go to this geek dating deal and then if it didn't pan out, hit the dive bars. Win/win. Or maybe take a geeky girl from the game group to the bar to get her loaded in order to release her wild side. I think I've seen this movie, although it was a librarian instead of a board game geek...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Go Huskies!...oh, well
mbmbmbmbmb
Or go to the bar first and drag a drunken floozy to game night!

Shcrabble, anyone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Empress
Japan
Nogata, Nakano-ku
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Timeless' mission is clear: provide a fun alternative to the typical nightlife scene for an entrance fee of just $10 per person. In other words, if you're looking for love in all the wrong places, try a game of Hungry Hungry Hippos

So thats what I have been doing wrong. Maybe I should go buy hungry hungry hippos. That totally screams date me.......That is that you still live in Nevernever land with Peter Pan and will never grow up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
DWTripp wrote:

I didn't know you rode a bike?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.