Hector Flores
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Situation came up last night that I believe I understand, but have no clear rulings (rules or FAQ are silent) to back it up, so I appreciate all the comments and discussion.

Player has a trade station. The text on the trade station planet card says "Refresh: Gain 2 trade goods" (I can't recall if the actual text says "Refresh" or "Refresh Ability"). Player used the refresh ability of the trade station in the normal way in the previous status phase, gaining 2 trade goods and exhausting the card by turning it face down.

Assembly secondary comes around to this player (again, with his trade station face down from the previous status phase), stating that he my "refresh" any number of planet cards up to 6 resources worth. Player spends the counter from strategy allocation to turn over his trade station (worth 2/2 for those keeping score), then argues that "refresh" refers to the "refresh ability" on the card - allowing him to turn it over again to claim 2 trade goods.

The SE rules are pretty clear when describing refresh abilities: most specifically that they can only be performed in the Status phase. However, I can find no clear distinction between the "refresh" word used on the Assembly strategy card and the "refresh" word used on the trade station planet card.

Is this a non-issue? It seems to be a quibble about the word "refresh". Granted I'm a bit biased towards saying that this is not a legal play.

Thanks for reading and responding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Ölmestig
Sweden
Halmstad
Halland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I am not 100% sure about this, but I guess that you can't use assembly strategy to use the refresh ability, so I think you are right. I think it is part of the status phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that the term "refresh ability" is somewhat of a misnomer. It should PROBABLY be called an "exhaust ability". Why? Because technically, it is gained by exhausting the planet - and you can only do this during the Status Phase, after the part where you refresh planets:

"During the Status Phase, immediately after refreshing planet cards, you may exhaust one ore more planets with the Refresh ability to gain the special abilities listed on their planet cards."

Thus, with Assembly (or Diplomacy I), you cannot use a Refresh ability when using the secondary; you have to wait until the status phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Flores
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the comments guys. Let the record show that I agree with both of you. I'll just have to get better at defining "refresh ability" (only in the status phase) vs. "refreshing planets" (wherever it applies).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyn Lee Fox
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
This user will support the website in the future.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
Note that the term "refresh ability" is somewhat of a misnomer. It should PROBABLY be called an "exhaust ability". Why? Because technically, it is gained by exhausting the planet - and you can only do this during the Status Phase, after the part where you refresh planets

I try to think of it as gaining whatever instead of refreshing. Although it's technically not how the rules are written, it amounts to the same thing and makes me feel better about the ability name.

But yes, the rules only let you use refresh abilities during the Status Phase. I've missed that at first myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Foxx - That idea can help, though for a newbie it could be confusing if the planet was never exhausted in the first place. (Granted, at the end of a round, you should almost always have ALL your planets, at least the resource ones, exhausted, but still)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyn Lee Fox
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
This user will support the website in the future.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good Point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.