Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
The lead unit of "B" division had finally gotten past the river, through the swamp, blown open the wire and was now a scant 90 meters from objective '5', being held by a veteran unit of Rifle Marines and Hoss, American hero. The order to charge was signaled.

The first 30 meters was open palm trees, the machine gun fire was fierce, but the squad was brave, the jungle line tantalizingly close. The next 30 meters was more palm trees, but by now the jungle line hid the onrushing Japanese from the distant machine gun. The Marines at objective '5' let loose, but still the Japanese morale held and they entered the comparative safety of the jungle, ready to close assault the Marines and capture the objective! There would be honor and medals today!

-------------

At this point, we cut to the mechanics of the game, as this is where it gets interesting. The Japanese unit had a base moral of '8', plus '2' for the jungle. They also held a Revive card, so were feeling pretty confident! The final bit of US opportunity fire was 8 points: 7 for the veteran squad plus one for Hoss. 8 FP against 10 morale is lousy odds.

The attack roll was a '5', no help there! It did trigger an event, though. The event: White Phosphorus. That went into the jungle hex being shot at: hopefully the now-broken unit would be less fearsome in close combat. The Smoke chit was a '7', but since Smoke is hinderance and the Firepower was already set, the smoke did not affect this particular attack (I hope I did that rule right: I'm not entirely sure if the Firepower is set prior to the event occurring or not. I treated it as analogous to breaking a machine gun with doubles when doing Sustained Fire).

Still, attack total of 13 isn't much. The Japanese lost 2 points of morale when they flipped over, so now their net morale was 8 plus a die roll. The roll was a '5', another event! It had no significant effect. The Japanese defense total is now 13. It's a tie! But, being a Charge, a tie is not a suppression, it's a break! The squad is eliminated!

Against all odds, the Marines managed to kill a full-health squad with a single shot at a -2 differential. The Japanese never had a chance to play their Revive!

-------------

The sudden white-hot flare of the phosphorous grenades forced the squad to veer through a small clearing at the edge of the jungle. Laying in wait was Hoss and a belt full of grenades. Three men fell to him and the rest veered again right into the deadly rifles of the Marines. There was honor today, but the medals would have to be posthumous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Olvenskol wrote:
The attack roll was a '5',....The Smoke chit was a '7', but since Smoke is hinderance and the Firepower was already set, the smoke did not affect this particular attack (I hope I did that rule right:

You did...as soon as the 5 was rolled, that particular Fire Attack Total of 13 was locked in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
RPardoe wrote:
Olvenskol wrote:
The attack roll was a '5',....The Smoke chit was a '7', but since Smoke is hinderance and the Firepower was already set, the smoke did not affect this particular attack (I hope I did that rule right:

You did...as soon as the 5 was rolled, that particular Fire Attack Total of 13 was locked in.

Heh, of course I looked and looked for a rule to precisely define the timing, happily ignoring the grey box in 1.9.1.3 where it is perfectly clear. Dang boxes. I think my new nemesis is rules hiding in boxes! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Olvenskol wrote:
RPardoe wrote:
Olvenskol wrote:

Heh, of course I looked and looked for a rule to precisely define the timing, happily ignoring the grey box in 1.9.1.3 where it is perfectly clear. Dang boxes. I think my new nemesis is rules hiding in boxes! laugh

And the really scary ones hide in bunkers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.