Subject: Help! They mangled my file uploads !!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All of my file uploads, which happen to be in M$ Excel format are now in some unrecognizable format with gibberish characters in them. I suspect something happened during the site update process, but I do know for sure they were all good prior to that time, having checked some of them myself.

Upon further investigation, other users' uploaded Excel files are also having the same error. M$ Word files from others are also throwing me in the same loop as well. PDF files and possibly others are fine.

1) Any fixes to this? Can these files be restored from BGG's end? If we have to resubmit, can we just submit a new file now, or should we wait for some fix first?

2) Speaking of which, there's no link to update the file, so it looks like we would have to submit a new file? I'm guessing this change was NOT deliberate?

3) Small beans, but been on my mind for a while, the language field went from a functional dropdown box, to an empty dropdown box, and now literally a blank field. Any plans to restore this anytime?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hold off on uploading anything. The files have not been touched since we did the upgrade. It could just be the file streamer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not new uploads Aldie, it's the old files that are already on the system. They've been modified.

I just downloaded an .xls file I had previously downloaded and it refused to load in Excel. I compared it to the previous one, and it was one byte longer. Looking at in in a hex editor, I see a hex 0x0A has been added as the very first byte of the file.

I deleted that byte, and the file loaded just fine in Excel.

This may have corrupted all of the binary files that have ever been uploaded to the geek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-matt s.
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/blog/22
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a similar problem earlier today when I downloaded a MS Word document - it had a bunch of file information in the content and the embedded images were missing. It's like a part of the file header was munched up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Ulrich
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Good call on catchin the hex 0x0A being tagged onto the front of the file.

I simply downloaded this hexeditor:
http://www.chmaas.handshake.de/delphi/freeware/xvi32/xvi32.h...

Then, open the file in the above program, and delete the 0A in the first position. Save the file and it should work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is still a very serious issue. The test excel file I checked seems to be working now (no 0x0A in the front), but there are still other files that are corrupted in unknown ways.

For example, this file just completely freezes up Adobe Reader, and causes open windows in XP to go flaky, needing a reboot:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/file/36872

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
They should probably publicly implore from everyone that has submitted 'Files' to check theirs and for those that have way too many, then entice yet another to 'assist' YOU on that by "bribing" these with awards of so get BUSY!
surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
Hold off on uploading anything. The files have not been touched since we did the upgrade. It could just be the file streamer.
Just a check, at this point, should we still hold off on uploading anything?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be nice to know if this is being worked on, how widespread the issue is/was, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
This should work now... it was an errant header.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
For example, this file just completely freezes up Adobe Reader, and causes open windows in XP to go flaky, needing a reboot:

Hmm. This file still kills my Reader and Windows. So this was unrelated to the problem, then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb

Hmm. This file still kills my Reader and Windows. So this was unrelated to the problem, then?

Works for me on Mac OS X - I'll check windows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
This also works for me running Windows Vista, IE7, Adobe Reader, under VMWare Fusion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm. Thanks for checking that for me. Re-downloaded again, still hangs totally. Using reader 9.0.0 under XP. Guess I'll just forget it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm. Thanks for checking that for me. Re-downloaded again, still hangs totally. Using reader 9.0.0 under XP. Guess I'll just forget it.

Do other PDF's hang you up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, nothing else I've run across. Just seems to be this one out of the hundreds I've looked at.

I do all downloading first, then view separately afterwards, so it's not a browser issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
For Steven's information, the file works for me too, with a Reader plugin to Safari, OSX 10.3.9

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Works for me using Foxit Reader 3.0 (I hate all the bloat associated with acrobat reader).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
THe first few files I checked out work fine now. Looks like things have been fixed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-matt s.
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/blog/22
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I had the same problem with that file using the same configuration and using FF 3.0.6 - Adobe hung when trying to open it. Other files elsewhere seem to be fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay, I'm not crazy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.