Eric O. LEBIGOT
France
Versailles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

Can the "+1D6 APs" be used on units that were activated but have reached 0 APs (and therefore are now on their used side)?

The current rules state that only activated units can use the "+1D6 APs"; and since "activated" and "used" seem to be mutually exclusive, I would think that a previously activated unit with 0 APs is used and cannot boost its APs with the "+1D6 APs" cards. Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Schuster
Germany
Bretten
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your activation is not done automatically the moment you reach 0 APs. As you may go on with spending CAPs or playing cards as well, you can also play this card to fill up your units APs again. Your activation only ends when you say so and pass on to the other player for his next possible activation. At least thats how I understand the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O. LEBIGOT
France
Versailles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input, Umbratus!
Umbratus wrote:
Your activation is not done automatically the moment you reach 0 APs. As you may go on with spending CAPs or playing cards as well, you can also play this card to fill up your units APs again.

Even if the unit that was activated turns becomes used (as it should when it reaches 0 AP, per the rules), you can "spend CAPs or play cards" on it even if "activated" and "used" are mutually exclusive!

The rules make me believe this is so. Here is why: why don't the rules indicate that the activated units are put on their used face when the active player passes? instead the rules explicitly say "Mark the activated unit as used after spending all of its APs." The former wording would make the "+1D6 APs on active unit" card obviously applicable to a unit that reached 0 APs.

I understand that a player remains active even after putting his active unit with 0 APs on the used side, but the question pertains to the unit itself (whether it is both used and active at the same time when it reached 0 APs, or simply become used and not active anymore).

Any additional input would be most welcome, in particular about the "unit reaches 0 AP" rule wording!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim McCormley
United States
SD
California
flag msg tools
OUCH!
mbmbmbmbmb
lebigot wrote:

The rules make me believe this is so. Here is why: why don't the rules indicate that the activated units are put on their used face when the active player passes? instead the rules explicitly say "Mark the activated unit as used after spending all of its APs." The former wording would make the "+1D6 APs on active unit" card obviously applicable to a unit that reached 0 APs.

I think this is just a problem with laying out the basic rules before all the possibilities are fully detailed. i.e. If all you have to work with are AP, which is all you are aware of in that section of the rules (2.2), then you would naturally flip the unit after spending all the AP.

You'll note that in 3.21 there is an example in which "The German declares that he is done with this activation and flips squad A to its used side."

It seems to me that the timing of the flip isn't critical. But if it is, then I suppose you better play that card before you get to 0 AP.

In any event, I don't think there are any situations where you get a card AFTER you have spent all your AP in the current activation.

Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
armor_11 wrote:

It seems to me that the timing of the flip isn't critical.

You are correct - it's not critical. As long as any used up units are flipped to the used side when the activation is passed, that's fine. It can be useful to flip them over as soon as they hit 0 so you don't forget, but perhaps in the case of the +1D6 card it's easier not too. Either way, if it's still your activation, you can use this card on whatever unit you activated during that activation, regardless of how many APs it has left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O. LEBIGOT
France
Versailles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Felkor wrote:
armor_11 wrote:

It seems to me that the timing of the flip isn't critical.

You are correct - it's not critical.

Thanks! This is good to know. With less than 1 full game of experience, I had a hard time telling... I was imagining a situation where you wait until the activated unit reaches 0 APs, see the reaction of the enemy, and only then decide or not to play the "+1D6 APs" card.

I like the idea of flipping the active unit when the APs go to 0, so that we don't forget to do it; but I also think that precise rules contribute to the success of a game (as I argued about Scarab Lords). Thus, it would be nice if the rules mentioned that the unit remains active even though it is used, if this is what Uwe had in mind (but maybe this clashes with some current or future rules?); or else, the rules could mention that the unit should be marked as used when the active player passes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I made a clarification under the card#7 description. I did not want to add it into section 3.0, since I feel that it would confuse novice players reading the section for the first time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O. LEBIGOT
France
Versailles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
uweeickert wrote:
I made a clarification under the card#7 description. I did not want to add it into section 3.0, since I feel that it would confuse novice players reading the section for the first time.

Great! I really appreciate what you do for the owners and players of Awakening the Bear, Uwe! Online updated rules with clarifications and improvements are really useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Gallagher
United States
California
flag msg tools
I am actually still confused. So, if a unit uses all of its APs it doesn't HAVE to flip until the owner wants it to.

For example, I played a game this morning and my opponent moved backwards dropping the unit's AP to 0. He didn't flip it and on the next round he used Card #7 to give it more APs. Is this legal?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seangallagher77 wrote:
I am actually still confused. So, if a unit uses all of its APs it doesn't HAVE to flip until the owner wants it to.

For example, I played a game this morning and my opponent moved backwards dropping the unit's AP to 0. He didn't flip it and on the next round he used Card #7 to give it more APs. Is this legal?

Yes, I would allow it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.