Subject: Is this game playable by two??? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Günter D'Hoogh
Belgium
Wespelaar
Brabant
flag msg tools
I only have one very short question: is Cosmic Encounter (FFG version) playable by 2 players???

I'm sure my wife and myself will like the game, but I don't know what about our gaming friends!

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cain
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Evil-Do That I Do-Do
mbmbmb
No, it isn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have thought you could play with 2, but it would lose a lot to do with the alliances. It would be a somewhat different game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Günter D'Hoogh
Belgium
Wespelaar
Brabant
flag msg tools
Thanks for the fast response, guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Günter D'Hoogh
Belgium
Wespelaar
Brabant
flag msg tools
CaptainCosmic wrote:
yves van herp wrote:
I only have one very short question: is Cosmic Encounter (FFG version) playable by 2 players???

Yes, it is, although the FFG edition makes no official of a two-player game. Both the Eon and Mayfair versions actually did mention two-player games in their rules, and the FFG edition uses the same basic framework as those sets, so there should be no reason why you couldn't play with two.

The problem is that what you're asking is really a two-part question:

1. Is CE playable by two?
Yes.

2. Is it any fun?
No, not really. Or at least not without some heavy modification.

The problem is an obvious one: without changing any rules, the alliance mechanic is just entirely eliminated. Not only is that a pretty big deal, but the game also just bogs down to a repetitious series of I-Go-You-Go encounters. Much of the flavor is lost.

But, with some house rules, it's possible to have fun with just two. I've played many times with this fairly well-known variant, and you could also try to get your hands on More Cosmic Encounter; the variant there changes the game completely.

Whether or not this extra effort is worth it, though, can only be determined by each gamer individually. You might be better off remembering that old CE joke:

"What's the first thing you do when playing two-player CE?"

"Find another player."

Thanks very much, Ric! Very nice of you and a very usable link. You must know, we already did have CE (AH version) but we never played it ... shame on us! Now, with the new FFG version we want to give it a try!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CaptainCosmic wrote:
...you could also try to get your hands on More Cosmic Encounter; the variant there changes the game completely.

Anybody know what this variant was, off the top of their heads? I'm more curious than demanding..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Olotka
United States
Centerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Yes

As one of the original designers, we designed rules for a 2 player game. When played this way its more of a "chess" or "Magic" match with players butting heads. Trust me - for the serious CE player, the two player version reveals a lot about your aliens and you. Things happen in the two player game that never happen in a game with more players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Günter D'Hoogh
Belgium
Wespelaar
Brabant
flag msg tools
Thanks for all those answers, guys! I'm very grateful!

@Peter: I have sent you a PM, dear Sir!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any clue whether the Warp (or somebody with those rules) could post the details? Would that be legal?

I'd love to be able to play CE with two.

ps: Peter - I just wanted to take a second and personally thank you for creating CE. I never played it till the FFG edition, but have been curious since I uncovered the Geek (and these modern board games) a few years back. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
I still like the two -on-two variant for two player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Günter D'Hoogh
Belgium
Wespelaar
Brabant
flag msg tools
Being new to CE (though I own the AH version from a few years back) can you tell something about this variant?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CaptainCosmic wrote:
But, with some house rules, it's possible to have fun with just two. I've played many times with this fairly well-known variant

That variant works quite well, and makes a good two-player game. I don't even think you need the "punt" option that Aaron suggests. Also, the powers he recommends not using are mostly not in the FFG edition anyway (and the restriction against Silencer seems a bit unnecessary).

I have also played plenty of two-player games with out the variant. Just play the standard game, meaning you have no allies. You have to pick aliens carefully, but it works fine if you ask me. In this case, the punt option is probably a good idea, because a single good or bad hand will have a lot more impact than it would in a multi-player game. You won't be able to draw extra cards as defensive ally, nor can you afford to dump a bad card on somebody who is "not winning anyway". Likewise, your opponent will never be attacking you on a planet you have already lost, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Günter D'Hoogh
Belgium
Wespelaar
Brabant
flag msg tools
Rubric wrote:
CaptainCosmic wrote:
But, with some house rules, it's possible to have fun with just two. I've played many times with this fairly well-known variant

That variant works quite well, and makes a good two-player game. I don't even think you need the "punt" option that Aaron suggests. Also, the powers he recommends not using are mostly not in the FFG edition anyway (and the restriction against Silencer seems a bit unnecessary).

I have also played plenty of two-player games with out the variant. Just play the standard game, meaning you have no allies. You have to pick aliens carefully, but it works fine if you ask me. In this case, the punt option is probably a good idea, because a single good or bad hand will have a lot more impact than it would in a multi-player game. You won't be able to draw extra cards as defensive ally, nor can you afford to dump a bad card on somebody who is "not winning anyway". Likewise, your opponent will never be attacking you on a planet you have already lost, etc.

Thanks, Ken! During the weekend I will give the two player variant a try, my wife also is eager to try this game out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
yves van herp wrote:
Being new to CE (though I own the AH version from a few years back) can you tell something about this variant?

Thanks!
the two-on-two variant gives each human player control of two alien races. you always alternate between players so that it goes "1a, 2a, 1b, 2b". Other than that it's the same as a four player game of cosmic encounter. An optional rule is to allow the players to always ally with themself, and treat their ally's color as if they'd flipped their own. It's more fun doing the RP sort of thing and playing each race as a seperate entity, but somewhat difficult to force yourself to think of them as competitors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Günter D'Hoogh
Belgium
Wespelaar
Brabant
flag msg tools
Thanks for the explanation!

And indeed it seems difficult to see yourself as an "enemy"! But we'll give it a try!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.