Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
flag msg tools
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
I used the variant I created. check it out here:

Each infantry SP eqauls 600 men, with 350 for cavalry, and 8 cannon per SP.

September 5, 1812
The Russians are entrenched around the town of Borodino, but out of position and laboring under a poor command arrangement made worse by the sluggish leadership of Kutuzov. The French arrival piecemeal, and must first defeat the forward Russian forces deployed to delay them. The opening struggle is at Doronino, where Russian and French cavalry clash in a bloody fight that leaves the Russian cavalry bloodied although they outnumber the French. Russian general Sievers is also captured in the struggle. As the day wears on Murat attempts a cavalry envelopment, shattering the Russian cavalry. However, Bagration is on the way with reinforcements. The fighting develops into a swirling affairs with both sides taking hard losses. In the end the entire Russian IV Cavalry Corps is destroyed and the Shevardino Redoubt falls to the French at high cost or all.

Today's Losses
French: 2,400 infantry with 3,150 cavalry.
Russian: 3,000 infantry with 4,900 cavalry and 16 cannon lost. Sievers is wounded.

So far my variant is quite bloody, maybe too much so!

September 6, 1812
The day is spent in maneuvering, with the Russians unable to move much forward while Napoleon plans a flank attack upon Utitsa. The plan is for Murat's cavalry to defeat the Cossacks there, and then to be followed by massed attacks from Davout and Poniatowski, with the objective of getting behind the Russian entrenchments held by Bagration. Further north Ney and Junot are set to make a frontal attack on the Great Redoubt when need be, with Eugene and some cavalry under Grouchy holding the left flank. At 4pm the attack begins with Latour's cavalry hitting the Cossacks at Utitsa and being driven off! The Russians now spring into action, the Cossacks fall back while the cavalry is shifted to the open plains east of the Utitsa woods. IV Corps is rushed to bolster Bagration's position. 5pm sees the battle raging as the French strike the Russians and make several breakthroughs, defeating the Cossacks who delayed the capture of Utitsa. The Russian VIII Corps is all but annihilated, but the French have taken heavy losses. An artillery duel with guns in the Fleches creates more losses, but generally the Russians get the better of this situation. Borosdin I is captured leading a counterattack. At 7pm, Russian cavalry attack and are beaten. As night approaches Davout pulls back to rest the men and realign for tomorrow's contest.

Today's Losses
French: 8,400 infantry with 700 cavalry and 24 cannon lost.
Russian: 12,600 infantry with 2,100 cavalry and 40 cannon lost. Borosdin I is captured.

September 7, 1812
Morning starts with a rolling attack by Eugene, Junot, and Ney upon the Russian main fortifications while Davout and Murat drive on. Junot is battered, but some his men succeed in overrunning the Redoubt while Eugene is forced back. The Russians abandon the Semenovskaya Creek line, and the now endangered Fleches. At 7am the Great Redoubt is overrun in a holocaust of heavy causalities. The Russian army is now demoralized, but Kutuzov orders the Guard to attack, because if the Great Redoubt can be retaken and French punished with heavy causalities, the day might be his. At 8am Napoleon releases the Imperial Guard and commits them to cracking center, where the Russian Guard starting to regain the Great Redoubt. Semenovskaya is stormed by the Vistula Legion and the Russian guard are defeated. At 9am the Russian army distingrates and routs off the field.

Today's Losses
French: 16,800 infantry with 5,600 cavalry and 112 cannon lost.
Russian: 21,600 infantry with 1,400 cavalry and 56 cannon lost. Borosdin I is captured.

Overall Losses
French: 16,800 infantry with 9,450 cavalry and 112 cannon lost.
Russian: 37,200 infantry with 8,400 cavalry and 56 cannon lost. Sievers is wounded. Borosdin I is captured.

My variant isn't perfect, but I think it improves the game greatly. I'd suggest it or the excellent rules featured in Last Battles of Napoleon.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.