Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adrian George
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got the game yesterday, and am excited to get it on the table. I haven't had the chance to look carefully at the dice yet, but I came up with a question. Are the odds of a given number equal on each dice? If I recall 3rd is a d8; which would mean they can't be on it, since it covers from 4-8 according to the rules. Or am i remembering incorrectly and it's a d10, and all the dice have even odds for the numbers printed on them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Smith
England
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The short answer is 'no'. The longer answer is that they're skewed in a systematic way: generally towards the faster numbers, if I recall correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian George
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspected they might be. I'd like the actual numbers if someone has them. I'm a little suprised that they aren't listed in the rules. Hmmm... i wonder if anyone's quick ref mentions it. Time to go look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(From memory) Only the second and third gear dice have uneven distributions. Both of those are skewed to the high end.

Gear: Sides: Range: Distribution

First: 4 sided, 1-2, Even
Second: 6 sided, 2-4, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 4
Third: 8 sided, 4-8, 4, 5, 6, 6, 7, 7, 8, 8
Fourth: 12 sided, 7-12, Even (two of each number)
Fifth: 20 sided, 11-20, Even (two of each number)
Sixth: 30 sided, 21-30, Even (three of each number)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian George
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. From what i can discern, isn't third one of the more common cornering dice?
So we get averages of:

1st = 1.5
2nd = 3.33
3rd = 6.375
4th = 9.5
5th = 15.5
6th = 25.5

That distribution on the d30 seems pointless, except to have the joy of a d30. Actually with such even distrobutions all except 2nd and 3rd could be reduced to a lower sided die. Weird.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Corlett
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
You have a good point, logically speaking. But there is a logistical consideration too.

Using a different-sized die for each gear means you never accidentally roll the wrong die. If 4th, 5th, and 6th gear were printed on 6-, 10-, and 10-sided dice (respectively), then you'd have to inspect those dice before rolling them.

The lower the gear, the fewer sides on the die. It's an easy rule, even if it's unnecessary. Imagine how hard it would be for new players to get used to
1st gear = 4 sided die
2nd gear = 6 sided die
3rd gear = 8 sided die
4th gear = 6 sided die
5th gear = 10 sided die
6th gear = 10 sided die

It's totally managable but not as easy or nifty. Plus, as you say, the thrill of finally getting to roll that monstrous 30-sided die across the table is hard to beat! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Stone
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to my 8 year old daughter, the huge, blue, 30 sided die is one of the main reasons to play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Brenton
United States
Brighton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This whole series of comments has really made me laugh. I had no idea more people than myself and my group of weirdos got such a thrill from rolling the "big blue." Hilarious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pilum pilum
France
flag msg tools
mb
A solution is here (using two d10 only for each gear) :

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1tyCCN2nEOBWGotS0ExbFpBbkE/...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.