E. A.
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
Roll those dice you lazy bastard!
badge
Ha gotcha!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
After getting the 4th edition of Talisman for my brother this Christmas, it has been played quite a lot. There are however something that we have discovered. Any player playing with the Prophetess are winning more often than other players. This character seems over powered compared to the others. Have any others come to this discovery as well?

Also, we have some questions regarding the cross. We have come to the conclusion, and made a «house rule» that any craft-monsters defeated by the cross without resorting to normal combat are not collected for XP. If one should be able to collect XP for those as well we think the cross will be to powerful. Is this a correct understanding of the cross? Should players be able to collect XP for monsters defeated by it or not?

Last time we played Talisman, we had at one moment three of the five players turned into toads at the same time. Unforgettable.

In advance, thanks for any feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheBaldEagle wrote:
After getting the 4th edition of Talisman for my brother this Christmas, it has been played quite a lot. There are however something that we have discovered. Any player playing with the Prophetess are winning more often than other players. This character seems over powered compared to the others. Have any others come to this discovery as well?

She's been a problem since the very beginning. She's actually weaker now than previous editions, but I think she's still one of the better characters. She used to draw two cards and pick one, which is a lot more powerful than the current draw one and then decide to discard/draw again.

a) All the other characters need to make it a point to kill the Prophetess before she gets too powerful.
b) Go with a House Rule. Make it cost a gold to use her prophecy power (that may be too harsh), or make it a die roll.
c) Remove her or give her to the player with the least experience.

Quote:
Last time we played Talisman, we had at one moment three of the five players turned into toads at the same time. Unforgettable.

Awesome. We've played the new edition a couple of times now and haven't had a single Toad. /cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
TheBaldEagle wrote:

Yep. Please note that if you're playing with the Black Industries version and haven't read the errata, she's unnecessarily oerpowered. The current Prophetess rule is "if you don't want to encounter the adventure cards you've drawn, you can discard it and draw another but you must encounter the other". It's NOT "draw two cards, choose one". Same with the Orb. On locations where you draw more than one card, she may only discard ONE of the cards.

TheBaldEagle wrote:
Also, we have some questions regarding the cross. We have come to the conclusion, and made a «house rule» that any craft-monsters defeated by the cross without resorting to normal combat are not collected for XP.

I am pretty sure I read this in the rules, so I don't think it is a house rule. In any case, this is how you should treat it. No XP for the craft monsters banished by the cross.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheBaldEagle wrote:
Also, we have some questions regarding the cross. We have come to the conclusion, and made a «house rule» that any craft-monsters defeated by the cross without resorting to normal combat are not collected for XP. If one should be able to collect XP for those as well we think the cross will be to powerful. Is this a correct understanding of the cross? Should players be able to collect XP for monsters defeated by it or not?
Spirits defeated with the Cross are not collected as trophies. It sounds like you have the BI version of 4th edition; the revised 4th edition has the updated Prophetess character card, and in revised 4th ed the Cross says you can't collect the defeated spirit right on the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, my old Toading rate used to be about 1/game, current ("thanks" to Fate) is 1 in 15 games (2x 2-player, rest 3-player).

Also, one of the reasons for adding Fate was apparently to speed up play time (mentioned in the article about Fate on FFG site). Instead, I've found it to make the game go slower.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically, you avoid your Worst Fates with the Fate tokens, which is just a number of rerolls you have. Evil characters can more easily restore Fate (on the Graveyard).

However, the best way is to cycle Fate. It's not always that you have Fate left when you roll a Toad. Being a toad IS something of the worst things that can happen, so of course you're nullifying it if you have any Fate left, but still.

If you have Fate left when the game ends, you've either been dumb lucky, or you've played badly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
However, the best way is to cycle Fate. It's not always that you have Fate left when you roll a Toad. Being a toad IS something of the worst things that can happen, so of course you're nullifying it if you have any Fate left, but still.

IMO Toading is one the key elements that makes Talisman what it is ! That and Horrible Black Void .

Quote:
If you have Fate left when the game ends, you've either been dumb lucky, or you've played badly.

I play with the Upgrade pack + Reaper, without the board changes ('cept Village), so no Fate replenish and pretty much every game at least 1 char has Fate left at the end. Guess no replenish means you can't "waste" it for every roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
I play with the Upgrade pack + Reaper, without the board changes ('cept Village), so no Fate replenish and pretty much every game at least 1 char has Fate left at the end. Guess no replenish means you can't "waste" it for every roll.

I think you're shooting yourself in the foot. Fate isn't to be left only for the toadings I mean, we all love the toads, right? You might as well see to that you have no Fate left once you get there.

Fate is a typical one to use at the Temple, or the Crypt/Mines, but the Sorceress is a good place too. I've even used it for the move rolls sometimes. It's there to be used. Trust me, the game is much more fun if you cycle Fate all the time. That way you won't have any left once the Witch turns up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I always let my little girl play Prophetess - its the most survivable character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E. A.
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
Roll those dice you lazy bastard!
badge
Ha gotcha!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the feedback!

The game we are playing is the Black Industries 4th edition, and neither upgrade or expansion has yet been purchased... but I know it will shortly.

I was not aware of the errata, but will be sure to read it... and also remember what has been mentioned here about the Monk and the "Psionic Blast" spell.

Thanks again for the quick response!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mjtuell wrote:
anarchy wrote:
We've played the new edition a couple of times now and haven't had a single Toad. /cry

Is that because of the new fate rules? I haven't been able to play the revised version yet, but I've already decided to house rule that you can't use fate to avoid being turned into a toad, at least until they release the next expansion, which is supposed to be 'toad-errific' or some such...

Nope. Fate has actually played very little part in our games so far. Everyone seems hesitant to use it for fear of not having it when they really need it.

We just haven't had many Toad opportunities come up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.