Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mont A.
United States
Carbondale
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am inspired by how Fernando Abad translated Nexus Ops into the world of Tolkien. (Check out this image, for example: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/433673/?commentid=993088#...)

However, I would like to differentiate the units on the two sides, so that one player has units drawn entirely from the side of 'good', the other units all from the side of Sauron.

So here is my suggested list of correspondences for transferring the units of Nexus Ops into Middle Earth:

Human (general fodder): ORC / HUMAN
Fungoid (at home in forest): URUK-HAI / ELF
Crystalline (at home in mountain): CAVE TROLL / DWARF
Rock Strider (moves quickly through plains): DARK RIDER / MOUNTED WIZARD (think Gandalf on Shadowfax)
Lava Leaper (at home in fire): BALROG / ???
Rubium Dragon (flies from heights): FLYING NAZGUL / GREAT EAGLE

I like how it all hangs together (even if using the Uruk-Hai as evil's forest unit may be a bit of a stretch, since the Uruk-Hai show no terrain preference in the books....)

The "plasma breath" of the original rubium dragons, capable of attacking enemies at distance, can be reimagined in Tolkien terms as the shriek of the Nazgul or the screeching of the Eagles, both of which were capable of causing panic at great distance among opposing forces.

The monolith, I assume, should be the Dark Tower? sauron

The only problem: I just can't think of any unit on the side of good to represent the Lava Leaper. The Balrog is obvious for evil. But for good?.... No counterpart comes to mind. The woody Ents abhorred fire; and Tom Bombadil is associated with cool tree-lined rivers. The only other creatures from the Tolkien universe at home in fire are the dragons. But they're malevolent by nature, and I don't think Tolkien ever leaves open the possibility of a dragon being "tamed" or befriending the forces of light.

Bah.

Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the good rock strider should be Riders of Rohan instead of Gandalf; it wouldn't make much sense to have six Gandalfs on the board.

Maybe the good lava leaper could be a hero from the fellowship. There are 3 lava leapers so you could have Gandalf, Strider, and Boromir or something. I think it would make sense, since their attack is powerful and they would have the ability to "go under the mountains" from the volcanic tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I saw Nexus Ops, the first thing I thought was that you could do a fantasy version, with elves having an advantage in the forests and dwarves in the mountains
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Typhon wrote:
(even if using the Uruk-Hai as evil's forest unit may be a bit of a stretch, since the Uruk-Hai show no terrain preference in the books....)

Maybe the spiders of Mirkwood from The Hobbit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hubbard
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The Balrog is obvious for evil. But for good?.... No counterpart comes to mind.
Any thoughts?

Well, since you're only going to reference one character for Lava Leaper (the Balrog), then the only (somewhat) good character that seems at home in the belly (read: acid, or LAVA) of the mountains would be Smeagol, aka Gollum.
My 2 cents, anyways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joel hansen
United States
Wautoma
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though I have access to Neolithic Ops there is a part of me that wants to take the copy of lord of the rings risk and convert it to nexus ops. I just think that this is a game that needs plastic minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
Lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.