Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas P. Felder
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend Dans excellent Review if you'd like to have a quick rule overview, I will concentrate on how the game feels in this session report:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/373271

We were five players: Zorkal (ZP), and as Heros we had the Paladin, the Pike, the Fencer and the Ranger.
The 1st level abilities of those heros are:
Paladin: May heal one BloodDrop if not moved in his turn.
Pike: (acutally, I am not sure about that)
Ranger: Has short bow and may shoot first and then move
Fencer: Has two attacks if not moving (which is very, very good)

All players had at least one game played before.

The heros first got to the sewers in the right lower corner of the map. Experience from other games has taught us that the swamp is a no go area - the tough bog beast can be summoned almost everywhere there and the heros have a hard time defending. In the sewers, on the other hand, the rats with a slightly higher movement rate don't have that much of an advantage and the aisles are easy to block.
Consequently, we placed the two close combat heros in front and both ranged heros collected the treasures in the back.
ZP did reinforce the rats with a strong monster and some pike skelettons via the teleporter and managed to get about 5 blood drops from the Paladin and the Fencer; however, the Paladin just stood still and healed himself, while the Fencer killed a lot of weak monsters at the starting of the player's turn with his double-attack ability.
Soon the ZP ran out of rats as their disks stockpiled on the heros mats, representing XPs.

We (the heros) then tricked the ZP: We openly discussed about how succesfull we had been, carefull navigating the sewers and that we should be able to conquer the swamp, too. Thus the ZP placed in his turn two bog beasts there. But, the Heros then moved via the trail to the dungeon on the right upper corner of the map... laugh
After one turn for regrouping on the trail (heros may pass each other freely there) and passing some of the treasures (the Fencer could need a healing potion at that point), we entered the graveyard.

The first few and scattered weak monsters there where easily killed, thus advancing the Paladin and the Fencer to 2nd Level (Fencer now could parry 2 times - making him almost perfect for blocking small aisles - and the paladin could now heal other adjacent heroes, an ability which we only used once or twice).

At this time, the ZP managed to arrange his monsters in a perfect defending position, with Zombies (buffed by a ritual so that they would parry) and Pike skelettons behind. The bob beasts came frome the swamp via the teleporter and it looked pretty impressive on the board.
The heros countered that strategy by very carefully maneuvering, making excessivly use of the rule that one hero may interrupt his movement, let another hero pass, and then continue his move. The Ranger's ability to shoot first and move then came in really handy as he shot a weak monster, Fencer and our Pike advanced, and would attack then two other weak monsters. Quicker as anticipated, we managed to clear out the defending monsters with only loosing another some 5 Blood Drops (thanks to the 2 parries of the Fencer), advancing the Ranger and the Pike to 2nd Level in the process. We then collected the artifacts and treasures of this part of the map.

Key to access has been that all Heros stayed very close together all the time. General strategy of the Heros: All should "touch base" at the end of their turn, limiting the chances of the ZP to swarm one hero with a lot of monsters, with the Paladin and the Fencer blocking the only one space wide aisles, taking all attacks on them.

Well, at that point of the game it became obvious that Zorkal has been defeated. Even though he's been 2nd level at this point (summoning up to three weak monsters per night), he was not able to muster a second defense line of considerable strength; the summoned monsters were seldom able to gather, and even when they did, the heros (now most of them with the ability to attack twice at this time) just advanced to their position and killing them.

We're looking forward to an expansion (with probably new monsters and a new map) or maybe we will try it at sometime with only 3 heros! ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Without having tried it out, your report sounds about what I would expect. Actually you even took more damage than I think I would expect. I just don't understand how the designers thought this was balanced as published.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sternenfahrer-MUC wrote:
Soon the ZP ran out of rats as their disks stockpiled on the heros mats, representing XPs.

From the rules: "7. [...] The Dornkeeper can control only eight weak monsters of each type on the game board. After that, he has to summon other types of monsters. In case he runs out of tokens for a specific monster, the Dornkeeper can exchange tokens of weak and strong monsters that the heroes keep for tracking experience points"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cheez burger
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Without having tried it out, your report sounds about what I would expect. Actually you even took more damage than I think I would expect. I just don't understand how the designers thought this was balanced as published.

i have bought dorn and i am not able to win as the dornkeeper :/ i need desperately help in strategies!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.