Subject: Slightly Weaker Cylon Attack Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
2-3 Cylon attack cards in a row are painful and hard for the human players to respond to.

Many solutions have been given to try to distribute the Cylon attack cards amongst the deck more evenly, but it is still likely for a clump to appear.

My proposed solution to this is to simply ignore the first part Cylon Attack cards that activates the Cylon fleet. (step 1 on the card)

This means that a series of Cylon attack cards in a row fills the board up with ships, but they are only activated if a crisis card has the matching icon or a Cylon player uses the Cylon fleet on a future turn.

I think the arrival of new ships and lack of jump icon are enough of a negative effect that the activation of ships is just overkill.

Individual Cylon attack cards tend to remain as powerful (as they usually are the first to bring ships onto the board) but if many occur in sequence then they don't swarm the board as much.

I plan to try it during my next game, any thoughts? (The Cylon attack card that has the special rule to activate raiders would still functions as normal)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kamakaze wrote:
2-3 Cylon attack cards in a row are painful and hard for the human players to respond to.

It'd be a pain, but it would have the upside of almost certainly creating a bit of breathing room after a bit. If it happens, it's time to start risking raptors to choose crisis cards with jump icons, put out unmanned vipers, move civilian ships towards launch points, etc.

It'd be a run of bad luck, but I don't see it as requiring a fix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think these situations are what the nukes are for...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Lets merge this with one of the threads complaining about the cards not coming up often enough. That should balance out the issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are only 10 cylon attack cards in a 70-card crisis deck. Getting back-to-back attack cards will happen, but shouldn't be a game ender. Just move the civilians to the viper launch zones and launch unmanned vipers. Then scout the crisis deck for jump symbols. Definitely manageable.

If you get back-to-back-to-back attack cards, you're really unlucky (I've had it happen once in about 14 games). At this point, component limitations start to help you. There are only two basestars, so the third card won't add more. You may already be maxed out on raiders/heavy raiders. Yes, the activation part of the card hurts, but if it was a skill check/event crisis card, there would be an activation symbol anyway. The more painful part of the third attack card is really the "special condition", which may disable a location on galactica, or weaken your unmanned vipers. For example, if the third attack card disables FTL Control, then you're really hurting, assuming you're near the beginning of the jump track.

In this situation, you're likely to lose some civilians. However, that's mostly population. Since the other crisis cards mostly target food/morale/fuel, when you hit a stretch of crises with no attack cards, population shouldn't continue to get pressured.

My advice is to keep playing the rules as written, and work on your strategy to protect civilians and accelerate the FTL Jump.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoenix
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I would suggest that removing the activate ships part of the attack cards would make them far too easy/ignorable.

In the rare situations where you get multiple attacks in a row you just have to shift your strategy to compensate. I've never seen any major problems with multiple attacks comming in a row.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Niezelski
United States
Seymour
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In our past game, we had some bad luck where we had nearly back-to-back-to-back Cylon attacks at the beginning of the game and then at the end. Humans lost. However, that's the only time we've really been threatened by the Cylon fleet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexi_987 wrote:
I would suggest that removing the activate ships part of the attack cards would make them far too easy/ignorable.

In the rare situations where you get multiple attacks in a row you just have to shift your strategy to compensate. I've never seen any major problems with multiple attacks comming in a row.

I have, but that's the point, right? Instead of dealing with Crises, you now focus on the ships, repairing damage, scouting to clear them off the board, etc. You visit the research lab more, use executive orders to get repairs done, and shift your focus away from other things. Then you jump and clear the board.

I don't see this any different than having 3 crises with huge success values that are all the same colors coming up in a row. Both cause issues, both require you deal with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tokelau
Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the game increases in tension and excitement with multiple cyclon spawn cards in a row.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Leigh
United Kingdom
Richmond
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had three cylon cards in a row last night and they certainly handed us our arses.

Great fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Finazzo
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The last two games we played there were two attack cards drawn in the first jump. Since we also had the initial Cylon setup ships on the board it felt like three attacks. In the first we were hurt so badly we couldn't recover. In the second game we used what we learned from the first time. Our pilot launched and went to work on the raiders. One person went to Communications to keep the civies out of the battles. Another two went to Command to keep the Vipers active. Our last player went to Weapons to fire on the basestar (He was actually a Cylon and figured he do the the least amount of good there, but destroyed the basestar anyway. Bet that didn't look good on his report.)

After we completed the first jump we had lost one population, 2 vipers destroyed, 3 damaged, and both nukes expended. It was a bit of a mess, but didn't cost us the game. We actually took the biggest beating that gameon a jump that had no attack cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Breen
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mb
First game we played we got hit with three Cylon attack cards in the first four turns. Every Cylon piece was on the board and our two pilots weren't able to hold them back. We only managed to advance one space on the jump track before losing our final unit of population.

Of course, I didn't mind this very much since I was a Cylon from the start, but I played as if I was a human out of pity. Didn't make much of a difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike West
United Kingdom
GUILDFORD
SURREY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played our first practice half-game last night and had 3 in a row before our first jump. People were complaining left and right about how difficult it was to take out all teh cylons, but with an Engineer repairing the Base stars attacks and two pilots with a couple of maximum firepower they held them off. I say 'they' as i was a cylon, and it being the first game didn't realise this was the perfect time to reveal and enhance the mayhem. I just pottered about failing lots of rolls and saying 'come on team!'.

Only 1 Civvy ship was actually destroyed, but i was doing much better with making them continually lose food with later crisis cards as i was the President. We got to halfway through the game, called it a night and prepare to play it in about 40 mins

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.