Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick Comment: A game in two parts: building up and then tearing down. When to make the change is the most important decision in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect the problem is that here is too much going on.
I've found games which have too many choices weigh heavily upon people's opinions of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nathan hayden
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Dude. I've been interested in this game and keep waiting for it to arrive at my FLGS. Phalanx creates what I call "Drama" games. They're usually not action packed oriented, rather curious and intriguing, maybe slow but interesting. Like a dramatic movie of sorts. I tend to enjoy this drama style quite a bit.

Other great Phalanx Drama Games:
Revolution (epic drama game)
Alexander the Great
Heart of Africa
Before the Wind
Go West

UPDATE:
Weird it came today. Got it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the face cards count as 10?

Quote:
Bube (J),Dame (Q), König (K), (Bube,Dame und König zählen jeweils als 10

Or maybe the rules changed in the English version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
... what's a "pro-specter"? Some kind of ghost that's no longer amateur? heh...

I hope this game is good, as it was my purchase from OrcCon this weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Perez
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. My English rules say the same. A King is worth 10 pts. not 13. Don't know where Tom got that from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Perez
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I dunno what a pro-spectre is either. I always called them PROSS-pecters. But what do I know? I'm in gold country here in California.
I bought this game at Dundracon 33 this past weekend just because it was about California history. I had no idea it just came out! I haven't had the opportunity to play it yet, though I may tonight. I'll post a review of my experience then. But so far, it certainly seems unique.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Lopez
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review, Tom!

Do you have any insight into the question I posted in the following thread?

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/382060

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Michael Hickey
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've really enjoyed this game. Not since Modern Art have I been so angst to make the right choices. I'm favouring a church strategy with a heavy gold digging phase and letting others cash in my investments on their turn for a double income stream.

Also, don't compare what you can get from finishing the game to what you can earn from staying one more round. Compare the amount you will get for finishing the game, with nothing for your opponents versus how much more you opponents will earn compared to you, should you stay in the game.

I've even won this game with negative 31 by railroading to the finish with one final cash in of some lucrative investments, thanks to the church.

This game can play so differently depending on the participants but there are signs of a greater game in there with a bit of perseverence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.