Texas
flag msg tools
designer
There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
badge
Meep. Meep. Meep.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for additional games that fit these criteria:

1. Use Pre-Painted Miniatures - can be either plastic or metal, can be collectible, customizable, etc - the marketing method doesn't matter, but I'm not interested in any miniatures that have prep time (i.e. painting, cutting out/assembly paper ones).

2. Use a gridded mapsheet/board and has multiple different (and/or modular) mapsheets/boards available to use (the grids can be square, hex, circles, etc).

The games I've found that match these criteria so far are:

Monsterpocalypse
Tannhäuser
Mutant Chronicles Collectible Miniatures Game
HeroClix

So any suggestions/recommendations for another games that match the above criteria?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Defevers
United States
Fort Thomas
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some real obvious ones:
World of Warcraft Miniatures Game
Dungeons & Dragons Miniatures
Star Wars Miniatures
Star Wars Miniatures: Starship Battles

Other "clix"-type games:
Mage Knight (edit: no grid, but see Mage Knight Dungeons)
Mechwarrior: Dark Age (edit: no grid, see below)
HorrorClix
Halo ActionClix

Some others, off the top of my head, that I think fit your criteria:
Dreamblade (edit: variable boards?)
Axis & Allies Naval Miniatures: War at Sea
Axis & Allies Miniatures (I think)
Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie (sort of)

I'm sure there are lots of others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't know if you are interested in historical games, but these two fit your criteria:

Axis & Allies Miniatures
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jürgen Duvendack
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okko: Era of the Asagiri has painted metal minis sold separately. Looks real good, but at 23€ a piece, those minis are really expensive, and so far only 8 of the 20+ possible minis have been published.

Rackham has announced that there will be a Cadwallon boardgame, based on Okko. Maybe this will come with PPP minis from Rackham's Confrontation: The Age of the Rag'Narok

EDIT:
Although Hybrid and Hybrid Expansion 1: Nemesis come with unpainted metals, these can also be substituted with the corresponding PPP minis of Confrontation: The Age of the Rag'Narok. Hybrid is still on clearance sale (55 € for both games) on the Rackham website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
RoboRally has gridded modular mapsheets and pre-painted minis. But the minis are all pre-painted with the same 'chrome' paint. So probably not what you're looking for. Even though most people don't add any 'prep time' to them; most people just play them as they come.

Betrayal at House on the Hill has prepainted multicolour minis. And its map is a modular grid. But each module is one square (except one starting 3x1 rectangle).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerry Harrison
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Meep. Meep. Meep.
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
Don't know if you are interested in historical games, but these two fit your criteria:

Axis & Allies Miniatures

I like historical games plenty. The A&A Minis game definitely fits what I had in mind, the War at Sea version I'm not so sure - the size of the grids and the figures look kinda odd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, Mechwarrior isn't played on a grid. Crimson Skies sort of is, but sort of not: you lay out the grid as you move, and one planes grid isn't necessarily aligned with another's.

More ideas:
Star Wars: Epic Duels
Battleball
Wings of War: Miniatures (Edit: never mind, broke the grid rule there. Unless you count Crimson Skies as above; this grid system is a simpler version of the same concept)
Chess

That's assuming you don't count games where you aren't expected to paint the figures; that opens up the field quite a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Defevers
United States
Fort Thomas
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bwian wrote:
Actually, Mechwarrior isn't played on a grid.

My bad. Since the game is (sort of) the offspring of two grid-based games (HeroClix and BattleTech), it never occurred to me that it was not as well. Thanks for the correction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first recommendations would be World of Warcraft Miniatures Game and Monsterpocalypse, with my strong recommendation going for WoW Minis. With WoW, you really only need to buy the Deluxe Starter to have two nice, balanced squads and a great mounted map with a fixed map on one side and an open map with terrain tiles for the other side, as well as all the dice and counter's you'll need to play.

The miniatures look great and you only have three factions to deal with in the game. Monsterpocalypse is a fantastic system, with a lot more going on, more units, great figures etc., but you have to spend a lot more to field a big army and it's a game that really invites larger forces. To get what you need to play you'd really want to buy specific units online and that is a hassle to me. I'd much rather buy into a game I can support my local game store with.

I also prefer the mounted maps of WoW to the paper maps of MonPoc. That said, MonPoc is more of an epic battle feel while WoW is more of a tactical skirmish feel. Also, I would definitely buy into whatever is being played locally since it's more fun to find games for which there are competent opponents.

I would avoid HeroClix since that game is going out of print and will no longer be supported. I would also avoid Mutant Chronicles because the figures are just ugly and the paint jobs are notoriously bad. Game system might be great but they're so big they take up too much room in my opinion. MonPoc and WoW are just about right.

Tannhauser has some cool figures and rules but it's much more of an FPS on a board, and that board is so dark it's hard to see. It was such a flash in the pan I never hear anyone talking about it. They have not released new units or expansions nearly as fast as I would have expected for a well developed game that had a lot of longevity. It seems more like they were running it up the flag pole and no one saluted; it seems destined to gather dust on FLGS shelves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerry Harrison
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Meep. Meep. Meep.
mbmbmbmbmb
Greywing wrote:

Thanks. Is the Star Wars Miniatures: Starship Battles played on the same grid map all of the time or are their additional maps for it?

Greywing wrote:

Other "clix"-type games:
Mage Knight
Mechwarrior: Dark Age (edit: no grid, see below)
HorrorClix
Halo ActionClix

I'd heard that Mage Knight didn't use a grid?

Greywing wrote:

Some others, off the top of my head, that I think fit your criteria:
Dreamblade
Axis & Allies Miniatures (I think)
Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie (sort of)

I'm sure there are lots of others.

Does Dreamblade have more then one gameboard/map available? The description I got it it was that it was more like an abstract strategy with collectible pieces (ala Navia Dratp) and was always played on the same board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerry Harrison
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Meep. Meep. Meep.
mbmbmbmbmb
BeardFan wrote:

Although Hybrid and Hybrid Expansion 1: Nemesis come with unpainted metals, these can also be substituted with the corresponding PPP minis of Confrontation: The Age of the Rag'Narok. Hybrid is still on clearance sale (55 € for both games) on the Rackham website.

Hmm, Hybrid sounds somewhat interesting, is there a list somewhere of of what Confrontation: The Age of the Rag'Narok figures correspond to what Hybrid figures?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerry Harrison
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Meep. Meep. Meep.
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:
RoboRally has gridded modular mapsheets and pre-painted minis. But the minis are all pre-painted with the same 'chrome' paint. So probably not what you're looking for. Even though most people don't add any 'prep time' to them; most people just play them as they come.

Hmm, the minis in my RoboRally are all dull gray plastic and definitely not pre-painted.

thatmarkguy wrote:

Betrayal at House on the Hill has prepainted multicolour minis. And its map is a modular grid. But each module is one square (except one starting 3x1 rectangle).

Wasn't aware of that. Sounds a little bit like Chill: Black Morn Manor, have give this one a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
sirkerry wrote:
thatmarkguy wrote:

Hmm, the minis in my RoboRally are all dull gray plastic and definitely not pre-painted.

WotC second edition?

The AH edition plastic robots are chrome-painted (I believe over grey plastic). The description here, which I believe is copypasted from their press materials, describe the contents as "8 prepainted robots". There's also an image with the caption detailing that the robots are not metal, but painted-metallic-plastic.

(I own WotC first edition myself - pewter robots, which I did paint myself).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Defevers
United States
Fort Thomas
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I was thinking about Mage Knight Dungeons, which I'm pretty sure is played on a grid.

I really don't know enough about Dreamblade to answer the question about variable maps, sorry. But, it might very well not meet that criterion.

As to the Star Wars game, I believe some scenarios take place in open space, while others call for terrain (e.g., asteroids). In that sense, the maps are "different." Otherwise, I believe they are generic space fields.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jürgen Duvendack
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sirkerry wrote:
Hmm, Hybrid sounds somewhat interesting, is there a list somewhere of of what Confrontation: The Age of the Rag'Narok figures correspond to what Hybrid figures?

There is no list, but for most figures, they can be substituted with figures of the same name:

Fusiliers=Fusiliers
Templar=Templar
Clones=Clones
Hybrid=Hybrid
Aberration=Aberration Prime
and so on.

Some figures have name changes or have to be substituted
Griffin Conscripts=Griffen Spearmen
Darkness Hunter=Demon Hunter
Pest of the Flesh=Phemera

Some figures that are not yet available can be easyly substituted by similar looking figures
Griffin Inquisitor=Priest looking guy from the spearmen attachment box
Venerable Abrosius=bald guy from the Hero of the North box

and so on.

Some minis had their statistic cards in the boosters, so you'll have to do without the cards EDIT: the cards that came in the blisters are available for download on the Rackham website. There's a list of all the statistics available on the net (or geekmail me).

I bought the two games for 40€ plus some very cheap minis (just couldn't resist because it looked so cool). But I am still wondering if I should start painting (never painted minis before) or go the way of substituting the minis with PPP. Problem is, that due to the changes at Rackham (new company structure, new distributors) those minis are not readily available anymore at my FLGS.

But one could start with a Templar box + Hero of the North attachment (replacing the Templars of Hod and Venerable Abrosius) + Phemera (replacing the Pests) + Aberration Prime (replacing Aberration) + Clones or Sentinels (replacing the Hybrids).

EDIT: and in the long run, you'll have a Griffin and a Scorpion army and can also play Confrontation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerry Harrison
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Meep. Meep. Meep.
mbmbmbmbmb
Greywing wrote:
I guess I was thinking about Mage Knight Dungeons, which I'm pretty sure is played on a grid.

I really don't know enough about Dreamblade to answer the question about variable maps, sorry. But, it might very well not meet that criterion.

As to the Star Wars game, I believe some scenarios take place in open space, while others call for terrain (e.g., asteroids). In that sense, the maps are "different." Otherwise, I believe they are generic space fields.

It sounds like Mage Knight Dungeons is definitely the kind of game I had in mind as it does appear to be played on a grid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerry Harrison
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Meep. Meep. Meep.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to have to look into this, the pictures I found of the maptiles are gorgeous. But any game I have to paint figures for is out as I don't have the time nor the ability anymore (repetitive stress injuries leaving me without a lot of fine motor control in my hands).

BeardFan wrote:

There is no list, but for most figures, they can be substituted with figures of the same name:

Fusiliers=Fusiliers
Templar=Templar
Clones=Clones
Hybrid=Hybrid
Aberration=Aberration Prime
and so on.

Some figures have name changes or have to be substituted
Griffin Conscripts=Griffen Spearmen
Darkness Hunter=Demon Hunter
Pest of the Flesh=Phemera

Some figures that are not yet available can be easyly substituted by similar looking figures
Griffin Inquisitor=Priest looking guy from the spearmen attachment box
Venerable Abrosius=bald guy from the Hero of the North box

and so on.

Some minis had their statistic cards in the boosters, so you'll have to do without the cards EDIT: the cards that came in the blisters are available for download on the Rackham website. There's a list of all the statistics available on the net (or geekmail me).

I bought the two games for 40€ plus some very cheap minis (just couldn't resist because it looked so cool). But I am still wondering if I should start painting (never painted minis before) or go the way of substituting the minis with PPP. Problem is, that due to the changes at Rackham (new company structure, new distributors) those minis are not readily available anymore at my FLGS.

But one could start with a Templar box + Hero of the North attachment (replacing the Templars of Hod and Venerable Abrosius) + Phemera (replacing the Pests) + Aberration Prime (replacing Aberration) + Clones or Sentinels (replacing the Hybrids).

EDIT: and in the long run, you'll have a Griffin and a Scorpion army and can also play Confrontation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.