jim maher
Ireland
Dublin 16
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The gaming group I am involved with have really taken to Conquest of the Empire (using Martin Wallace's rules) and I am looking for recommendations that might provide a similar level of enjoyment (I appreciate that Struggle of Empires is probably an obvious choice).The group has also played Game of Thrones which was also well received. As you can see they are a bunch of intriguers and back stabbers who also like fighting and general mayhem!Conquest really scratched the itch with the conquest cards, senate votes, small no of critical territories, difficult choices and of course rolling die in battle.For me one of the best mechanics was the fact that you could share the rewards of territories meaning skillful diplomacy was critical.

So while I am sharpening the pen and the dagger for the next round I thought I might ask the Geek for your thoughts on similar types of game that you have enjoyed and lived to tell the tale!

Many thanks

Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed James
United Kingdom
Huntingdon
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shogun has cube towers, area control, conflict, development and resource managment.

Conquest of Paradise is a 2-4 player game where players control tribes, exploring, colonising and conquering the Pacific islands. Has development, conflict, expansion, and plays in about 2 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jason rundell
United States
Adamstown
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One recomendation would be Imperial or Age of Empires. they have a similar feal to me, though different. I could see a group that likes CoE liking them, especially Imperial - just have to get used to not being a country, just owning them for a little bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben .
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Warrior Knights?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blood Feud in New York
Twilight Imperium (3rd edition)
Struggle of Empires
Cosmic Encounter
Dune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Betzel
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) is a great choice and the first one that comes to mind. It has a similar level of tension and a lot of using your military as threats and defensive forces just as much as for offensive purposes. Once everyone knows the game you can get the play time down to something reasonable (and not significantly longer than Conquest of the Empire in my experience).

Also agree with Warrior Knights. You are allowed to let others pass through your hexes so you get some diplomacy and deal-making going on. This is very much a bash-the-leader style game, especially if you use some rules from the expansion. Maybe not quite as intense as the other two but has a good mix of combat and deal-making/political goings-on.

While not a combat game I think Bootleggers could actually scratch a similar itch depending on exactly what you are looking for. Bootleggers really uses the mobster theme to its full potential, allowing you to backstab and blackmail your buddies. Certainly hits the backstabbing and general mayhem spots

I've only played it once but I think Imperial might hit the spot for you as well. Everyone is investing in different nations and whoever is most invested currently controls that nation so your allegiances and alliances are pretty much in constant flux. I do feel like sometimes your turns are almost too scripted but the decisions you do have really make the game fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim maher
Ireland
Dublin 16
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input guys thelist gives me plenty to work on -great to see Twilight Imperium recommended as one of the group purchased it recently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.