Steve Norton
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my first game this evening (2-player) and have a rules question:

Player A wins a battle against Player B and elects to give that player a cursed treasure. Everyone knows it is cursed (otherwise why give it?) and Player B adds it to the other treasure card that he had collected on a previous turn.

If Player C then wins a battle against Player B, and chooses to steal a treasure, how does this work? If he watched where B placed the cursed treasure, is he at liberty to choose the other? Or should the choice be "blind" - maybe allow B to shuffle them under the table?

I presume the reason for keeping them face down is to keep the choice blind - but B is likely to just throw the cursed treasure onto his other one and thereby make it obvious which is which.

How do others play this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I would shuffle it before drawing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Norton
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Diebel
United States
Phildelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I disagree with everyone's feedback above. The rules specifically state to take a treasure....OR give a CURSED treasure. The fact that the rules take the time to differentiate between cursed and regular, I translate this as

TAKE A TREASURE.
Also - I see nothing that says RANDOM...and so that tells me you can take the one you want! If you feel that random is better...then I suggest shuffling ONLY THE GOOD TREASURES and choosing from them.

This makes sense, too, because if I was a real pirate and I just kicked your butt in combat, I'm not going to raid your boat and TAKE a cursed treasure! I'm going to take something that's damn well worth taking!!!

You might want to get an OFFICIAL ruling on this from Asmodee....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Fresquez
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What if the treasure's are "locked" and you (pirate) can't tell what is inside. Do you have x-ray vision? The fun in the game is not knowing. Taking that chance. YOU'RE A PIRATE! Do they really think sometimes or just see a treasure chest and snatch it. Arrrrrrrrr...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
waitsfan wrote:
I disagree with everyone's feedback above. The rules specifically state to take a treasure....OR give a CURSED treasure.

Though in the Treasures section, it says:
"Any treasure can be stolen or given following combat."

waitsfan wrote:
TAKE A TREASURE.
Also - I see nothing that says RANDOM...and so that tells me you can take the one you want! If you feel that random is better...then I suggest shuffling ONLY THE GOOD TREASURES and choosing from them.

I agree that you can take any treasure you want. The question is whether you want a face up special power treasure (Morgan's Map, Saran's Sabre, Lady Beth, or 6th Hold)? Or do you want one of the face down treasure cards (-2,-3,-4,+3,+3,+5,+7,+7) that the rules say are placed face down and "...only revealed at the end of the game..."?

Seems to me that if the cursed treasures could never be accidentally stolen, they may as well be kept face up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sebastien pauchon
Switzerland
vevey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, I've been invited to give an answer in this thread, so here the "official" rule. Of course, as usual with any game, a round of players might elect to play their own way, which is always fine if everybody agrees.

The original idea is indeed to keep a part of risk and randomness when you chose to steal a face down treasure from a player. You should therefore shuffle them before getting robbed.

I agree that the rules don't explicitly state "randomly", but they don't say you can't shuffle your cards at any time, either ;-)

Hope this helps

Cheers and good races!

seb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Norton
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here ends the thread! Thanks, Seb! thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Draak Grafula
Netherlands
Barendrecht
flag msg tools
I got this game just this week and want to try it out this weekend.

The one thing that is unclear to me regards the stealing of treasures. I assumed you should shuffle the face up cards into the hidden treasure deck and let the winner choose one of them blindly.

Reading Sebastians response has me doubting this now however. Can one just take a face up treasure without any form of randomness? That seems a bit unfair to me.

Cheers,
DG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sebastien pauchon
Switzerland
vevey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi:
- Face up treasures are chosen knowingly
- Face down treasures are shuffled and stolen at random.

Cheers
seb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Draak Grafula
Netherlands
Barendrecht
flag msg tools
Thank you so much! I can't wait to try your game this weekend.

And man are you fast!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Ingersoll
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
If you steal the 6th hold, i assume you get the booty its' holding. correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sebastien pauchon
Switzerland
vevey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.