Cosmic Encounter» Forums » Rules

Subject: winning the game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris X.
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok this is probably a silly question but i have to be sure.
If a player succesfully attacks a foreign planet in their first turn, he then establishes a colony there and moves his "colony marker" to place "1" on the warp. If later in the game invades another planet, he moves it to place "2" etc. But if during a turn he loses one of the 2 colonies he has in a foreign planet, he moves the marker back to place 1? In other words, when i establish a colony and get a victory point do i keep this victory point until the end of the game or do i lose victory points if colonies are lost aswell? So a player wins the game if he manages to have 5 foreign colonies simultaneously on the table? Or one wins the game if he establishes a total of 5 different colonies during the entire play, regardless of him losing a couple of those in the meanwhile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam McLean
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you don't keep victory points, the scoring track around the warp is the number of foreign colonies you have -- if you have 3 and lose 1, it goes down to 2.

Winner is the first to get 5 total foreign colonies, all on the board. Although eventually you may not use the track at all, just end up looking at all the planets to see who's got what.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you do move the track down when you lose an encounter. It's meant first and foremost as a way to track who is winning.

We decided last night to use it for tie-breaking... so if you are a main player and win, your track marker goes up first to the next notch, followed by any allies. Whoever gets the next base goes to the next notch first, and so on. In a joint win, you'll have a primary winner and secondary winner(s). Not that it matters at all, but we are competitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.