Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Meyers
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Well so far the only "improvement"if you can call it that is that I have yet to see any new images since the BGG was taken down to "improve" BGG. Same old images for the last 4/5 days now.

Further, when the geekmail notifies me of an addition to a list or of an added content to a game or of a reply, then when you select that to go to the new content, all you get is that: the article does not exist!!

So far not so good!!

So was all this fuss worth it??

Don't think so at least as of this stage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
Completely and utterly worth it IMO.

Yes there are a few glitches - but we we are fixing them as fast as we can. Thanks for hanging on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Hanley
Canada
Dorval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Constantinople wrote:

Well so far the only "improvement"if you can call it that is that I have yet to see any new images since the BGG was taken down to "improve" BGG. Same old images for the last 4/5 days now.

Further, when the geekmail notifies me of an addition to a list or of an added content to a game or of a reply, then when you select that to go to the new content, all you get is that: the article does not exist!!

So far not so good!!

Maybe you should ask for your money back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The one thing that really bothers me is when there is a 'games notification' GeekMail for me, you don't get to see what the articles are about any longer, like you used to before the changes. I used to decide what to read - 'help! missing pieces!' wouldn't have been read by me, but anything that sounds interesting did.

Now, the more I open up these links without knowing what they are & finding I don't want to read it, irritates me a bit as well as taking longer to get through the whole list, which can be quite long.

Cheers,

Matt...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
I for one didn't expect BGG 2.0 to show any significant cosmetical improvements for me as a user immediately. I am a super-amateur as a programmer (did some games in Basic on the C64 in my youth) but I know enough to realise there is enough value with just the source code being remade, that means the site will be more easily kept up. And for us as users, that will most probably faciliate further improvements later on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
Netherlands
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Constantinople wrote:

So far not so good!!

Personally, I think that you have to give things a bit of time. There are always going to be the occassional bugs and glitches, but they are usually pretty quick to fix them once they know of them.

I don't think that all upgrades are necessarily just for our benefit either when they are working on the programming. Many things can also be for their ease as well and to make things run smoother, perhaps use less bandwidth, etc. Perhaps they are trying to work out known problems that they have had for a while.

It never seemed to me that their intent was to overhaul the entire look and feel of BGG, but to tweak the running of it and make a few minor changes. It takes a lot of programming hours to do those things. We just take it all for granted and want to be able to click everything when we want it.

I still think they are doing a great job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
What the OP may not realize is that there are at least two, equally valid perspectives on improvement of an IT system, and the user's perspective is only one of those.

The other is that of those who maintain the system, and quite often things have to be done to the system that, while not manifesting in pretty, new pieces for the user, ultimately make the system more reliable, more easily maintained, more responsive, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
PROTEIN. WATER. LIQUOR.
mbmbmbmbmb
Constantinople wrote:

If you'd ever worked with nearly 10 year old code, that has been updated in an amoebic fashion to cover new demands and eventualities during all those years, I can assure you you would think otherwise.

edit: grammar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's been a difference? Honestly, haven't noticed much. Comments under Geeklists are different. My understanding this had more to do with the databases behind the scenes. I'm certain it's worth it to have those in order. Bad databases, or poorly organized databases can really hamper things on both ends (behind the scenes and user apps).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Klein
Germany
Schoenaich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
BGG is free, and support is entirely voluntary. Let me stress this: no user should ever be made to feel like a second class citizen because they do not have a supporter badge. Different users support the site in different ways, not all monetarily, and it is all appreciated.

So much for these nice "pay or shut up" comments:

quardlepleen wrote:

Koldfoot wrote:
You get what you pay for.

Of course you should be allowed to ask the question "is it worth it?" if you see no visible improvements, important functionality is removed (like adding new games or customization of the game page layout), and lots of bugs are introduced.

At least some of you were able to explain the other view on this subject like maintainability and expandability. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have been embarrassed to post such a thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Hanley
Canada
Dorval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ogrim wrote:
Aldie wrote:
BGG is free, and support is entirely voluntary. Let me stress this: no user should ever be made to feel like a second class citizen because they do not have a supporter badge. Different users support the site in different ways, not all monetarily, and it is all appreciated.

So much for these nice "pay or shut up" comments:

quardlepleen wrote:

Koldfoot wrote:

Of course you should be allowed to ask the question "is it worth it?" if you see no visible improvements, important functionality is removed (like adding new games or customization of the game page layout), and lots of bugs are introduced.

At least some of you were able to explain the other view on this subject like maintainability and expandability. Thanks!

Complaining about something that you receive FREE OF CHARGE is pathetic.

If you don't like the functionality, you can always use one of the countless other free online board game databases...

I am very grateful that Aldie & Co spend so much time, effort, and money to continue developing this site. It is the best board game resource there is. Period. Anybody complaining about images not being uploaded fast enough after all the work that was done this week end up looking like ungrateful brats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Niezelski
United States
Seymour
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So... no more suggestions should be allowed, then?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Hanley
Canada
Dorval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DuckAndCower wrote:
So... no more suggestions should be allowed, then?

The OP didn't offer any suggestions. All he did was take a big dump on all of Aldie & co's hard work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
The "new" BGG is it worth it?

It's worth it to me! I'll patiently wait till all the bugs get worked out! I'm almost patiently waiting for the new game additions to be put back in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Meyers
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Not embarrassed at all!

Why should I be, we should all discuss this, I did not get the memo that

this was off limits for discussion.

I did not see any discussion anywhere so I thought I get one started and

see how everyone felt and to point out any shortcomings. Is that a

problem?

and

Yes, I choose not to pay, becz this is a self supporting commercial

enterprise that is a for-profit venture and generates an income thru

advertising and what not.

I encourage this sort of enterprise, but I don't send a monthly or yearly

donation to JC Penney or Sears or Lowe's either just becz I go there and

I like their products.

My support of those enterprises, as this one, comes in the form of

a commercial transaction with them or as in this case generating ad

revenue for BGG whenever I choose to read one of the advertisers here by

clicking on it.

When I see those year icons beneath the avatars, I kind of crack up

because I see someone who likes to subsidize for-profit commercial

ventures, so I would expect them to send money to Ford, GM and Bank of

America if they just like them.

I really just don't get donating money to a commercial venture that is a

for-profit company, but it is OK by me if you do; but apparently you

resent it if you donate and I don't. Hey, it is my choice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eastside, Esq.
United States
Richmond Hts.
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Um, let's see, did you just compate BGG to JC Penney's, Sears, Lowe's, Ford, GM, and BoA? Do you see the problem with that comparison? The stuff BGG provides is free. If GM gave me cars for free, I'd be happy to send them money (especially if it only cost the small amount I send to BGG).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
there are many ways to support the site, monetarily is only one. it is perhaps the most visible by way of the patron badges, but it is by no means the only one...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Rodman
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmb
is it worth what? What do you mean by "it"? Unless of course you are one of the programmers that spent countless hours to code it, then your question makes sense, but since it would seem you are not one of the hardworking IT personnel then you just come across as extremely ungrateful to the very people that create the site that when it goes down for a couple days, creates such a great "fuss" in your life.

Do you really think they would have spent the time to do the work and shut the accessibility to the site down just for kicks if it didn't have any benefit to the site, even if it isn't completely apparent to the basic end user within the first 48 hours? Or do you know something they don't, or did you expect a big flash presentation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Meyers
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Yeah Tom, I just did make that comparison becz they are all for-profit

ventures. BGG just sells a different product than Ford; it sells

information. Which we essentially provide free to BGG, which in turn

makes money off our contributions. I contribute to BGG in other ways

other than a money subsidy as you do; for the reasons I stated above.

BGG is a wonderful site. It is tremendous. Although Toyota may make a

terrific car the Prius, I still do not donate money to them. The point is

Tom, it is a for-profit enterprise.

I don't donate money to a for-profit business, that's all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
What a tool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Chen
United States
Green Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
This looks tasty...
badge
Yuck!
mbmbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:
What a tool.

What else do you expect from a Bruin?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Rodman
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmb
cbs42 wrote:
What a tool.

It's no90t that he's a tool, after all tools are useful and this thread is pretty far from that. He is just upset because he really was entitled to much more for all his fuss. Make sense to me..

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
there are many ways to support the site, monetarily is only one. it is perhaps the most visible by way of the patron badges, but it is by no means the only one...

Very true, but with the OP barely cracking 200 thumbs over his 4 and a half years of membership, it doesn't look like he's been doing much supporting of any kind. He sure knows how to crap on the efforts of the admins though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Niezelski
United States
Seymour
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be extremely surprised if advertisements even came close to covering the costs of running the site. If so much cash was flowing in from ads, why would you be able to turn them off with a $30 annual donation?

I still say, though, that it's perfectly reasonable to ask if the update was worth the bugs and downtime, especially if you don't understand that most of the changes were in the background. I think that many people were expecting a new, shiny BGG with all sorts of cool new features, but instead just found a slightly worse version of what they had been using.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.