Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some games I will post a review after one play, but most times I like to get several games under my belt before reviewing. I know some may be wanting to know some ins and outs of this game thus far, and some of what I write may be copied and pasted if I ever do a review...but here goes.

Components - It comes with a rulebook that covers new items in the expansion. It has some flavor text regarding the matriarchy, not as much as the original Tannhauser, but some. The game has a board that's as nice as the base game, but has the indoor house map on one side, and hence just one new map. That map has a new icon, the mental icon, which will allow you to add one to your mental stat when you are on it. It also has a new item, secret doors. The tokens are up to snuff of the base game, and has some additional tokens for the Factions from the base game as well. It also has some of the bonus tokens from FFG that they published previously, included in the game. There are seven miniatures, three heroes and four robotic creatures.

Rules - Pretty straightforward, and builds upon the ones in the base game. It includes some new options in play, one being secret doors, another being a King of the Hill mode. It also has the explanations of the matriarchy and their playing pieces, along with explanations of the bonus tokens. It does it's job.

Gameplay - A Lot like Tannhauser...what else did you expect. I don't have enough experience yet to really comment on my thoughts on the matriarchy, however, it still plays nicely. Don't expect any startling changes, but you should like the additional map and faction. It also comes with some scenarios to play on the new map, none of which I have tried yet.

It is still a two player game, though I suppose you could toss in a third faction. The new map has four entry points, so technically you may even be able to play with a fourth faction I suppose. Hmm, maybe you could make a team of abstracts, with Wolf and others that come separately...for a fourth team.

Currently, I want to have some more play time with it before really judging my thoughts on it, but I'd say since I like the gameplay of Tannhauser, I probably will like this. However, it also suffers the downfalls and pitfalls of Tannhauser too, so, take that in mind as well.

I wouldn't say it's an improvement or ruination of the game, more of just more to add to the game itself. If that floats your boat, and you want some more variety that you don't have to download, you may like this expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sean, thanks for the early look-in. Sounds as though they've pretty well decided to remain with the starting Tannhauser approach and not go in for various mission-based scenarios, which was a disappointment for me as I find them a much more immersive play experience themewise.

Perhaps at least we will see an increase in player support in English since FFG appears to be committed to continuation of the Tannhauser line.

The board looks very nice (today being cold where I am, I get a "Brrr!" from looking at it).

One question: are you saying that the board reverse side reproduces a map from original Tannhauser? Or is the "house interior" a representation of other supplemental material?

Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I can tell, it appears to be the same as the one from the original Tannhauser. Haven't played on it to make sure (all sorts of things you didn't notice before seem to pop out when you play on a board) since I've basically used the new map, but from what I can tell, it looks the same. I laid them side by side and they appear identical, except that the one with Novgorod is slighly lighter in color, making the circles a little lighter, so not quite as dark in the shading. Other than that, the second map seems just like the old second map.

So you only get one new map with the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Mosley
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does it seem overpriced to anyone who's played it or seen the contents?

It's the same price as the core game when it first came out (before the price hike) and you get less for your money.

3 less figures, 5 less character cards, fewer tokens, no dice, one new map and a reprint of a map I already own.

I love Tannhauser so I'll be buying the expansion soon, but I can't help feeling I'm being ripped off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JonJacob wrote:

From what I understand you can use the old dungeon map and the new one with the castle on the reverse side together and travel between the two of them for scenario's. Meaning you could get four players if you had the figures divided up evenly, playing on two boards simultaneously.

There are a number of "official" scenario's available on the FFG page that are pretty good and even some linked ones that I haven't tried yet, are these what you refer to when you say there are some scenario's included in this expansion?

I have to admit, I normally play more of deathmatch or capture the flag then scenarios, so I haven't really checked to see if they are the same scenarios as FFG's page. They make exclusive use of the new map however, so unless FFG had official scenarios with the new Novgorod Map, I doubt they are the same scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kevin9793 wrote:
Does it seem overpriced to anyone who's played it or seen the contents?

It's the same price as the core game when it first came out (before the price hike) and you get less for your money.

3 less figures, 5 less character cards, fewer tokens, no dice, one new map and a reprint of a map I already own.

I love Tannhauser so I'll be buying the expansion soon, but I can't help feeling I'm being ripped off.

Now that you mention it, I was so happy to get it that I really didn't pay that much heed...but yes, it could be that it IS overpriced now that I think of it. For the MSRP the stuff you get is a little scant.

In comparison, I just got the Daedalus expansion from France in Today (what great timing), and it was the equivalent of $24 (not inclusive of shipping). It has a new map (and the dungeon found in the base game on the opposite side), about half the number of tokens and no miniatures, but more scenarios in the rulebook, and the rulebook may be just a little thicker then the one from Novgorod (probably due to the scenarios).

So Pricewise, in comparison, Novgorod could be overpriced somewhat.

PS: (as an unrelated aside I'll also be working on an English Translation of at least some of Daedalus's rules that I'll probably try to post when I finish...if they'll accept it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
b. portly

Vancouver
B.C.
msg tools
For us Domination Mode is the way to go. Less fiddly than Story Mode. We also like playing Scenarios.

GreyLord wrote:
PS: (as an unrelated aside I'll also be working on an English Translation of at least some of Daedalus's rules that I'll probably try to post when I finish...if they'll accept it).

You can get a translation of the Daedalus booklet here: http://tannbunker.myfastforum.org/about97.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
littlewars wrote:
For us Domination Mode is the way to go. Less fiddly than Story Mode. We also like playing Scenarios.

GreyLord wrote:

You can get a translation of the Daedalus booklet here: http://tannbunker.myfastforum.org/about97.html

Someone NEEDS to post that file here (well at the Daedalus section of BGG)! Thanks, it means I wouldn't have to do a translation (mine would probably rougher than what is there already, as it would be my poor French reading and writing to what they posted). Or, if it's yours can you give me permission to post it without me posting my translation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
b. portly

Vancouver
B.C.
msg tools
Translation is by Scottie Wolf, a french/english speaker.

There are no bonus token translations in the doc, but I did some that were proofed by French Tannhauser players, available here:http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?cgtz2dikmym

While you are at it, you can check out my Savage Tales blog Tannhauser Tuesday contributions here: http://docsavagetales.blogspot.com/search/label/U-Chronic%20...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
littlewars wrote:
Translation is by Scottie Wolf, a french/english speaker.

There are no bonus token translations in the doc, but I did some that were proofed by French Tannhauser players, available here:http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?cgtz2dikmym

While you are at it, you can check out my Savage Tales blog Tannhauser Tuesday contributions here: http://docsavagetales.blogspot.com/search/label/U-Chronic%20...

Thanks. Ironically I DID fashion my own translation of the tokens already, though some of it I copied directly from FFG's translations of some of the tokens that are in Daedalus...the others I used my best guess in the French. My translation appear to be basically the same as on your sheet, though the wording I used is a little different. I was actually thinking of posting the file under Daedalus's section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Szpyra
United States
Fort Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My review is...."meh.."

The board on the reverse is indeed a reprint of the original castle intererior, albiet a much brighter and easier to read re-print.

The figs are nice, as are the bonus tokens for the original game, but the Russian faction less than wow's me. The weapons they start with are less than thrilling and (for a faction all about tesla and electricity) they have weaker weapons than the Union.

All things considered, yes, it is far too expensive for what you get in the box, but I think FFG is banking on Tannhauser fans buying it because we are starved for anything related to the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Somewhat discouraging to hear the comments on bang-for-buck (pound, euro, yuan, etc.) . . . but having talked with Mark Holt Walker (L'nL Publishing) last November at Fall In, printing costs have apparently really taken a jump in the past year, and FFG has been putting forth very high-quality print jobs that cannot be inexpensive.

Sean, thanks for answering my question re the board. It occurs to me that with duplicates, an umpired double-blind system could also be easily used.

One general question for anyone: I will readily admit that I am hopelessly incompetent with computers, being a lost and confused 19th-century man in most respects, but I haven't been able to find those scenarios mentioned as being on the FFG site. Would someone be so kind as to help me out? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean P
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The scenarios are found here:

http://new.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm...

There are also bonus tokens and such. On the FFG website if you go to the support tab of their games is where they normally keep stuff like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
badge
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
mbmbmbmbmb
Duplicating one map from the original game is a very bad decision. Not interested in buying overpriced addons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
b. portly

Vancouver
B.C.
msg tools
LarkinVB wrote:
Duplicating one map from the original game is a very bad decision. Not interested in buying overpriced addons.

Not if you want to play on two maps.

If you don't buy expansions, does it even matter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LarkinVB wrote:

From what little I know, I don't think there was ever a plan to include two new maps, so the reproduced second side is more a bonus than a cheapening up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.