Agricola» Forums » Variants

Subject: Bridge Agricola (2+2) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mircea Pauca
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder, has anyone already tried 4 players in 2 vs 2 teams ?

or, 2 players each getting 2 farms (with the 4 player extra action cards, of course)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn King
United Kingdom
Crewe
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting idea - especially as more often than not when I play a 4-player game it is Mr & Mrs King vs. Mr & Mrs Other - and there is usually strong competition for one couple to have the winning player.

How do you see this working out? Are teams resources (wood, clay, stone, cards, food, etc) pooled? Perhaps some penalty/cost for transferring of aforementioned between team members?

I don't see how else this could work other than to combine scores at the end of the game (which wouldn't really be anything new).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr King wrote:
I don't see how else this could work other than to combine scores at the end of the game (which wouldn't really be anything new).

Have each couple sit across the table from each other (like you sit around a Bridge table) so you are alternating turns with the other team. To determine victory, throw out each team's highest score and make the winning team the one whose lowest score is best.

(You might take a tip from Bridge and have each person team up with the opposite-sex person he or she is not married to. This is thought to minimize acrimonious discussions during the trip home.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
To determine victory, throw out each team's highest score and make the winning team the one whose lowest score is best.

Very clever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb

Oh, boy, I can just imagine some of the arguments this arrangement might cause. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Brinks
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
Mr King wrote:

Have each couple sit across the table from each other (like you sit around a Bridge table) so you are alternating turns with the other team. To determine victory, throw out each team's highest score and make the winning team the one whose lowest score is best.

(You might take a tip from Bridge and have each person team up with the opposite-sex person he or she is not married to. This is thought to minimize acrimonious discussions during the trip home.)

Is your other name Knizia?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Winterhalter
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've been trying to work out 2 on 2 rules for a while; here's what we've got so far:

Partners sit across the table from each other- that allows each team to alternate turns.

Add one Action space to the board.
Farmer's market.
You and your partner may exchange/give building resources, animals, food, and grain/vegetables immediately. Transferring each type of resource between partners costs one of the transferred resource. (for example, you drive a small flock of 4 sheep from your farm to your partner's. One of them gets lost on the way there; your partner receives 3).

Building: Whenever you build something (rooms, fences, stables) you may build additional of that same something on your teammate's board. They come from your teammate's supply of that building component. Rooms/stables cost 1 additional building resource of a type already used to build them. Fences cost 1 additional resource for each 3 fences built. Any occupation cards that modify building costs for your building actions will work for these actions as well. You may use any of the "plow a field" actions to plow one on your partner's board.

Scoring: We're planning to try two variants here; we haven't tested either. The simple one is that you take the team's lower score.
The variant I haven't finished working through (nor testing) is that you instead combine your two farms resources, and score on a -1 to 7 point scale for each scoring resource. This allows your two farms to specialize without the scoring penalties involved- inviting a rancher and a crop farmer strategy as well. I'll try to add this information once I've finished it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Snow
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Could it be just as simple as allowing the teammates to share food and animals? Then add scores of each partnership to determine the winner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe Rosenberg
Germany
Gütersloh
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Daniel, I'm very interested in your ideas. please write me, when you finished your version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Giglia
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Daniel, the "plow a field" for your teammate, do both players get the plowed field, or can the person taking the "plow a field" action choose which farm to plow on? (resulting in only one plowed field)

I really love this idea! Please post some more when you come up with new ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Ryan
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Here is my thoughts: Agricola is a well done game, and easily expanded or changed with cards and a new 'action' board. Instead of taking the current game and trying to fit team-based play into it, it would be much more complete to create an expansion that changes the default actions (if necessary) to something more team oriented, team orientented cards of varying levels (E, I, K), and determine what numbers are the most balanced for it (2v2, 3v3). Maybe even find some neat variations (1v2 or 3v2). Creating hidden 'goal' cards that each member gets (such as: +10 bonus points if you get the maximum score for each animal but -10 if you don't) or something like that might help to add to the already great variety.

Default actions: collecting materials is the base function of the game. If the team-based game was simply an aggregate score of the two players, then the collection actions could offer variety. For example: In the 5 player game, you get a 4 wood option. In a team based version, if collecting materials retained its current level of importance, then simply adding "Take 4 wood or take 2 wood for yourself and give 2 to your partner" would present the sort of options that would make for interesting and strategical decisions. It would also be interesting to exchange or create different action cards that might include "an event" that allows random event cards to be drawn that might help or hinder an individual or teams.

Team-based cards: This shouldn't be overly difficult to pull off and might even include cards to hinder opponents in addition to team helping cards. They could provide some sort of shared resource 'bank' or ideas designed to encourage team-play.

I haven't put much thought into it, but the ideas are endless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.