United States
West Babylon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a scary clown!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

i read the rules last night, and i had some questions that were answered here in old posts, but im curious about this one.

is it true that

a) a player could conceivably just move around the sub on his first turn, from room to room over and over, basically just to get to the "escape" checkpoint and leave the sub,

or

b) even just to get to 0 and kill himself?

i understand that these moves, especially B would make no sense to do, but im just curious if im reading correctly that the rules as written allow it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
You could do that, but before you actually "escape," you have to draw an event card for every star that your pawn passes and resolve that before moving on to the next one. Given that every fire that starts affects the oxygen levels in the sub, and given that there are event cards that raise the pressure and heat in the sub, it's guaranteed that you would die and kill all the other gnomes in the process of trying to do such a thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew DiGregorio
United States
West Babylon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a scary clown!
mbmbmbmbmb
ok, that makes sense. having not actually played it yet, i didnt know the rate at which damage would actually occur. thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
The whole game is an exercise of balancing the benefit of what you want to fix against the risk of how much bad stuff is going to happen during that time. You want to maximize the good while minimizing the bad, but it's hard to do.

It's not very clear from reading the rules, but it all makes sense when you play the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just don't bump the table/board or you'll have a hard time knowing where everything was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew DiGregorio
United States
West Babylon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a scary clown!
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
The whole game is an exercise of balancing the benefit of what you want to fix against the risk of how much bad stuff is going to happen during that time. You want to maximize the good while minimizing the bad, but it's hard to do.

It's not very clear from reading the rules, but it all makes sense when you play the game.

yup, thats exactly what im hoping. i may get it to the table tonight, and want to make sure i have the rules down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Short
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The OP's questions were discussed in this thread here.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3009775#3009775

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Short
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't move your personal timer until you finish your turn. Thus, the only way to take the "abandon comrades" action is to start a turn in the last 10 minutes. So you can't just run through 50 rooms and abandon everyone on the first turn, the rules just won't allow for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew DiGregorio
United States
West Babylon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a scary clown!
mbmbmbmbmb
dshortdesign wrote:
The OP's questions were discussed in this thread here.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3009775#3009775

thanks for this link... i didnt catch this one when i was searching for my answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew DiGregorio
United States
West Babylon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a scary clown!
mbmbmbmbmb
someotherguy wrote:
I'm pretty sure that the effects of moving around would eventually trap you in a room somewhere long before you reached the point where you're allowed to escape.

Now you lost me. how could that ever happen? on my turn, i could just open hatches and move over and over again until i choose to stop, couldnt i?

i realize the event cards would start taking effect after i finally chose my action, but i dont see how i could EVER get trapped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
slyde wrote:
someotherguy wrote:
I'm pretty sure that the effects of moving around would eventually trap you in a room somewhere long before you reached the point where you're allowed to escape.

Now you lost me. how could that ever happen? on my turn, i could just open hatches and move over and over again until i choose to stop, couldnt i?

i realize the event cards would start taking effect after i finally chose my action, but i dont see how i could EVER get trapped.

You draw enough 'Hatch Blocked' cards that the room you're in becomes sealed.
Then catches fire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Thatcher
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slyde wrote:

This wouldn't actually work. You can only open a hatch once per turn, and moving into a room after the hatch is open is free (subject to flooding modifiers) but optional. Since there are a limited number of hatches, you would be able to spend at most that many minutes, plus however many you wanted to resolve an action. You only get movement, and then one action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregor McNish
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quebert wrote:

This wouldn't actually work. You can only open a hatch once per turn, and moving into a room after the hatch is open is free (subject to flooding modifiers) but optional. Since there are a limited number of hatches, you would be able to spend at most that many minutes, plus however many you wanted to resolve an action. You only get movement, and then one action.

The way I read it, hatches close behind you-- "hatches close automatically after each iteration of the steps in a movement phase", viz "open hatch, reflow water, move into room, exit sub". p.9

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Dolan
United States
Highland Lakes
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a guy that did just that.

He ended up killing 5 of the other 7 gnomes before they ever moved. He was trapped in the missle room by fires in all the rooms that exited the room and water flooded the missle room.

None of the surviving gnomes opened the door to the missle room to let him out. They were too busy dying due to the reactor overheating.

It's not really a good idea. If a player wants the game to end in 5 minutes he shouldn't start playing it in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.